Good Lambsfoot knife that can be shipped to the USA?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
I have been trying to find a good Lambsfoot knife from the USA. Ideally, I would find something with a ~3" blade, not one of the UK legal blades. The few I have found in stock somewhere were relatively expensive with expensive shipping so, I have basically struck out unless I jump for an eBay scalper price on a UK legal blade length.

I have been looking at a lot of A Wright blades but, the production volume seems really low right now. Taylor Eye (or Eye) is one I have heard of but, the quality is unknown.

I could do one with filework and Stag or Buffalo in the $80~$100 range or a plain one with Walnut or similar wood in the $40~$50 range. Am I reasonable with my price ranges? Any tips for shops, vendors, makers, etc. that I should consider or contact?

General recommendations and tips would be appreciated!

Best Regards,
Sid from Texas, USA

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Heinnie Haynes is a brilliant place to look, they ship worldwide and trusted.

You can use your membership discount, and email them first, as being based outside the UK, you will not have to pay the VAT like we do. So expect it to be cheaper at purchase, but it will cost a little more on postage.

Reactions: Redhand Jack

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
Heinnie Haynes is a brilliant place to look, they ship worldwide and trusted.

You can use your membership discount, and email them first, as being based outside the UK, you will not have to pay the VAT like we do. So expect it to be cheaper at purchase, but it will cost a little more on postage.

Thanks! That is one of the online places I looked at but, all they show is a cheap stainless slab version.

I would almost consider a custom Lambsfoot at this point if the price wasn't excessive. The one I saw that caught my eye on the cheap side was I think an A Wright 31W out of Sheffield. I saw one Taylor Eye with a stainless blade but, I was concerned it might be an imported model with its stainless blade as I really want to support the UK and a "local" maker for this knife.

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
How about https://www.uklegalknives.com? The Taylor Eye Witness looks pretty good too. Are these still UK-made? What is the quality like? Do they make anything with a ~9cm blade? I could be tempted by the 7cm stainless blade if it is UK-made; I have heard some stories about bankruptcies, buyouts, and mergers to overseas business entities which I would like to avoid.

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
Great tip on the forum discount! I have spent a good deal of time in Germany and the Netherlands so, I am somewhat familiar with the VAT and import/export issues in general.

Lamnia out of Finland has shown me that shipping doesn't have to be expensive or slow to the USA! I'm sure there are businesses in the UK that can navigate the COVID and BREXIT issues to provide similar service as well and I want to support them if I can! :beerchug:

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
…edited...I was pointing to the lambfoot knives sold by Mole Valley Farmers in the UK, but they are only available in-store, so not much use to you.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Much as I admire you wanting to support a UK maker, you really can’t go wrong with the Lionsteel knives. Molletta and co are extremely good designers and makers. I’m afraid, unless going custom, I don’t associate Sheffield with quality knives.

I haven’t heard from Shing in a long time but he makes anything you want. His back springs will snap your thumbnails.

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
…edited...I was pointing to the lambfoot knives sold by Mole Valley Farmers in the UK, but they are only available in-store, so not much use to you.
If airfare to the UK wasn't so expensive, I'd love to go to the Mole Valley Farmers store and grab one of those stag Lambfoot knives! That store "chain" looks to be very similar to Atwoods and Co-Op that I grew up with on our family farm and ranch.

At 15£, I'd be as happy as a pig in slop! :joyful:

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
Much as I admire you wanting to support a UK maker, you really can’t go wrong with the Lionsteel knives. Molletta and co are extremely good designers and makers. I’m afraid, unless going custom, I don’t associate Sheffield with quality knives.

I like Lionsteel knives a lot. However, a Wharncliffe pattern is not a Lambfoot knife. Granted at a 3cm blade length, the difference isn't significant to most people.

Regarding quality and Sheffield, quality is relative. China can and does make quality slipjoints to compete with Case, along with other brands, They also make a ton of junk knives like the vast majority of the Taylor Cutlery stuff coming out of Pakistan under various trade names.

Sheffield may be associated with poor quality these days but, that doesn't mean there aren't high-quality products available too!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I like Lionsteel knives a lot. However, a Wharncliffe pattern is not a Lambfoot knife. Granted at a 3cm blade length, the difference isn't significant to most people.

Regarding quality and Sheffield, quality is relative. China can and does make quality slipjoints to compete with Case, along with other brands, They also make a ton of junk knives like the vast majority of the Taylor Cutlery stuff coming out of Pakistan under various trade names.

Sheffield may be associated with poor quality these days but, that doesn't mean there aren't high-quality products available too!
There are some superb knives coming out of Sheffield, Stu Mitchel, Guycep, Grace Horne all hail from around that area. The factory stuff can be a bit hit and miss on things like grind, blade centering, general QC.

Have a look on Moonraker knives, as well as MikesKnives. MikesKnives used to get in secondhand stuff, while Tony at Moonraker is well clued up on things.

Regarding sheepsfoot/lambsfoot/Wharncliffe, we could get hung up on details. I don’t see much difference between these two shapes.

A. Wright lambsfoot from Moonraker £14.95

AA71F10A-1208-4224-8804-FF9C8FB917F6.jpeg
Lionsteel Barlow Dom.

89316677-BD49-482D-BDD7-354629688938.jpeg

Last edited:

Athos

Mar 12, 2021
East Sussex
If airfare to the UK wasn't so expensive, I'd love to go to the Mole Valley Farmers store and grab one of those stag Lambfoot knives! That store "chain" looks to be very similar to Atwoods and Co-Op that I grew up with on our family farm and ranch.

At 15£, I'd be as happy as a pig in slop! :joyful:
If you wanted one of the Mole knives then I’m happy to pick one up and ship it to you. I work 5 miles away from one of their stores.

However, if you’re not concerned about spending some money then you should definitely commission Shing to make you one.

Reactions: sidpost

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
There are some superb knives coming out of Sheffield, Stu Mitchel, Guycep, Grace Horne all hail from around that area.

Have a look on Moonraker knives, as well as MikesKnives. MikesKnives used to get in secondhand stuff, while Tony at Moonraker is well clued up on things.

Regarding sheepsfoot/lambsfoot/Wharncliffe, we could get hung up on details. I don’t see much difference between these two shapes.

A. Wright lambsfoot from Moonraker £14.95

View attachment 72579
Lionsteel Barlow Dom.

View attachment 72580
I have to agree with Rich, lionsteel are brilliant, the thrill knife is but one of my many users from this brand.....and I have used a lot of blades

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
If you wanted one of the Mole knives then I’m happy to pick one up and ship it to you. I work 5 miles away from one of their stores.

However, if you’re not concerned about spending some money then you should definitely commission Shing to make you one.
I'm thinking about getting one made at the moment but, at ~$20USD one of those 7cm bladed knives is really tempting! Not sure about the shipping cost but, I'm guessing it is in the area of 10£. Hmmm ...

I really appreciate your generous offer! I need to kick the tires a day or two before I commit.

:borg2: I think I'm being assimilated by the Lambsfoot collective right now ... :D

Reactions: Billy-o and Athos

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
Those Lionsteel Barlow's sure are sweet knives at a good price point! One of the Dom's in M390 I'm sure would make a good daily carry knife.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
The search for a good lambsfoot on a single blade knife is a long one, especially if you are looking for something like an early to mid-C20th style pin construction slipjoint.

The problem is with those LionSteel ones is they just look awful. All over-buttoned and trying too hard to be liked in this modern, modern world.

The delicate elegance of the real lambsfoot blade compared to the burly purpose of the sheepsfoot should not be overlooked. GEC did an OK one a while ago. It was a bit big and brutal for being a lambsfoot, but still I wish I'd picked one up at the time.

Related: one thing I go back to time and time again is the Tina 605 pruning knife. One day maybe :) About 100-120 USD

Here's a picture off the internet:
18820-e7e5c4e0.jpg

18822-585725bb.jpg

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Handmade in Solingen is surely a good option too:

Victorinox offers several versions too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE