Homesteading Tool Kit.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The ridger would cost more than that new Dave - thats a steal! I keep a bill hook hanging on the door of the barn and use it more and more where previously I would have reached for a pruning saw. Useful things to have "to hand"

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Since you posted a picture of yours I thought it would be useful... needs a clean up and the handle isn't the best but £10 I just had to have it.☺

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
On a side note we had a rush of blood to the head today and ordered a chicken coop. Electric fence and feeders and stock will follow - dual purpose so probably one of the "Sussex" types.

We were trying not to do a new "project" this year.

We failed :)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Wondering here does anyone find bill hooks perform differently to machetes?

I used to use machetes a fair bit but I went of them because they just weren't doing it for me, I'm likening the look of a billhook- do you reckon it'd be better than a machete for smallish chopping tasks?

Cheers :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Since you posted a picture of yours I thought it would be useful... needs a clean up and the handle isn't the best but £10 I just had to have it.☺

One of my favourite hand tools - £10 is a bargain. A new handle and a sand, it'll be good as new!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Wondering here does anyone find bill hooks perform differently to machetes?

I used to use machetes a fair bit but I went of them because they just weren't doing it for me, I'm likening the look of a billhook- do you reckon it'd be better than a machete for smallish chopping tasks?

Cheers :)

Totally different animal Cameron. Bill hooks chop (impact cut) , jungle knives "slash" (draw cut). I like a Bill Hook and run two types - a true "hook" one which is superb for lopping off limbs up to maybe 1" (25mm) thick in a single firm chop

Bill Hook3 by British Red, on Flickr

Then a straight one for true chopping (making kindling etc.)

Back View by British Red, on Flickr

The hooked one is beetter for hedging and pruning - the straight one is better for chopping kindling and bushcrafting.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
On a side note we had a rush of blood to the head today and ordered a chicken coop. Electric fence and feeders and stock will follow - dual purpose so probably one of the "Sussex" types.

We were trying not to do a new "project" this year.

We failed :)
I keep considering chickens as we've got the room... Mind I've been thinking about bees too!!
To be honest though I've got a friend who keeps chickens so I get eggs and a mates dad has bees......
I think it's more I fancy building something out of pallets!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE