Homesteading Tool Kit.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

joejoe

On a new journey
Jan 18, 2007
washington
i do not understand why people think im weird, when i tell the m i tall to to people who know the difference betwen a spade and a shocvel

joejoe

On a new journey
Jan 18, 2007
washington
i do not understand why people think im weird, when i tell the m i tall to to people who know the difference betwen a spade and a shovel

drliamski

Sep 11, 2006
East London
I rate bulldog tools quite highly.. They make a great ally tined landscaping rake that I always use.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
The shovel is most certainly not a "need" ;)

glad to hear they are highly rated though.

All the best
Andy

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
An australian post hole 'shovel' is really a spade . . . the blade is fairly small, with a curved end and a pronounced curve across the blade (making it excellent for digging a round hole), fitted to a long straight handle with no grip at the end. Much longer than 5'; you can dig a hole 5' deep with one. The small blade and long handle makes them truly wonderful for digging trenches.
I cannot find at all on the web, but they are for sale in any country hardware in australia.

If you were working in heavy soil, with rocks, then a grifting spade is worth having.

Huh - I googled grifting spade and found a pic of something that looks like an australian post hole shovel! C is the grifter, A is the post hole shovel.

fencingspades.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
C is what I would call a drain spade - I would think of B as a rabbiting spade - A certainly is a proper post hole spade - I bet other areas have other names :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Heres a nice bit of homesteading kit - a soil ridger

Works like a hand held plough and makes brilliant straight seed channels when combined with a string line

I was planting Oca today and it was the first tool I reached for...really handle tool

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Red,

You've just reminded me of something my old dad used to use on his small holding which was called a "planet hoe".
It was on odd thing, a sort of 2 wheeled frame with long wooden handles that you pushed from behind. The frame had slots into which you could fit various implements/tines & what have you.

I'm loving this thread just for the memories it's bringing back.

Dave

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I would love a wheeled hoe Dave! I am on the lookout for one - a Planet or Planet Junior would be ideal since you can get all the attachments for them like ploughs and discs. Can't find one local at a fair price though :(

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Today I spend four hours weeding out the gooseberry plot (its a huge plot). I used my Canterbury hoe. These things are the best weeding tool invented - bar none - weeding is miserable, but these shorten the pain!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Something between a soil rake and a draw hoe....I love them.... you can dig out deep roots and cultivate too...very good tool

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
I had a Planet Junior wheel hoe in Wiltshire but stupidly left it behind when we moved. They are very useful tools and would definitely be on my homesteading list.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
This one was from France from a guy who I visit at a stall once a year... Cannock bilhook nice weight for me and only a small amount of movement in the handle. The axe has no maker bur was dirt cheap and will make a nice kindling splitter £25 the lot...☺
Sorry about the double post photo 😕

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE