Homemade Dutch oven/Potjie lid lifter.

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.

crosslandkelly

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 9, 2009
26,977
2,834
North West London
I wanted to make a lid lifter for my groups 2 Dutchies, using bits of wood and gloved hands was getting a pain. So I thought I'd put my near non existent metal bashing skills to the test. So a bit of roadpin, a bit of gas torch and a touch of welding, I ended up with something functional. Any ideas on how to blacken it, much appreciated.
IMG_0808.JPG
 
Nice.

For darkening, look up using beeswax or boiled linseed oil. Think the process is similar to seasoning a castiron or steel pan.
 
  • Like
Reactions: crosslandkelly
Nicely done sir. I'm not a fan of road pin/re bar myself, aesthetically, but if that's all you have then fair enough.

The suggestion of blackening with wax/oil is a good one. It will work better if you let the metal rust a bit first or heat to orange to form scale. It's the scale on forged steel that ab
 
  • Like
Reactions: crosslandkelly
Nicely done sir. I'm not a fan of road pin/re bar myself, aesthetically, but if that's all you have then fair enough.

The suggestion of blackening with wax/oil is a good one. It will work better if you let the metal rust a bit first or heat to orange to form scale. It's the scale on forged steel that ab
Yes it was all I had, thanks for the tip.
 

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE