Hollow Iron for carving.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Snip> Top left and second row left are called "holkjärn" in Swedish <Snip

That's made searching a bit easier.

bild.jpg

bild.jpg

bild.jpg

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Interesting tool.Ive seen and own something similar called a 'peg knife'.It was used to trim the tops of tiny wooden pegs used in the heels of handmade shoes.Er, im not even going to attempt to explain what that involves!

It looks almost exactly the same as the tool in your pics numbered 198933 except mine has a tuned beech handle with a brass collar..Peg knives are mentioned in Salaman's book on leatherworking tools.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Tom, I'm not the best person to ask as I'm not much cop with either but it seems to make a smoother, wider radius cut than my spoon knife does.

Steven, I was relying on my rather faulty memory and only tried attaching it to my belt, which was hopeless. When I got home and looked at the picture again I felt like a right berk.

8_Seasons-3.jpg

I know Sean Hellman sometimes comments on this site. I met him at a woodfair a couple of years ago and he suggested as also Robin confirms the lanyard was used to create a pivot and gain extra leverage. I recall (but sleep deprivation might have blurred the truth!) that Sean suggested them for clog making another cloudy memory is that there was some French link too...

Leo

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
An old video that shows the strap pivot:

[video=youtube;iWXmTpVQRSM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWXmTpVQRSM[/video]

With the hollowing iron, I actually tried making one years and years ago - found a pottery tool that looks the same but the bevel was on the inside. I tried to put a bevel on the outside but made a rubbish job of it and the metal quality was rubbish.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
am I right in seeing the blade is canted back slightly?

iirc the blade is seated pretty square on to the handle, but the handle has a very definate "kink" to it which, in effect, means that the blade is canted back slightly. it's a great tool to use, even if we couldn't quite make a decision as to how best utilise the strap

stuart

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
An old video that shows the strap pivot:

[video=youtube;iWXmTpVQRSM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWXmTpVQRSM[/video]

With the hollowing iron, I actually tried making one years and years ago - found a pottery tool that looks the same but the bevel was on the inside. I tried to put a bevel on the outside but made a rubbish job of it and the metal quality was rubbish.

that's interesting, lest weekend we tried out quite a few different ideas for the best way to use the strap (with varying results), i don't think anyone tried the method in the video though, it looks pretty effective

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE