Hollow Iron for carving.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I've been looking through "People of Eight Seasons" and I've come across an interesting tool.

8_Seasons-6.jpg

There is also a picture of it in use.

8_Seasons-3.jpg

The blade looks a bit like something I have seen from a museum in a Viking context.

Has anyone seen a similar tool anywhere or am I going to have to commision someone to make one?

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
I've seen a few very similar things in current use - some in photos of peoples work - possibly even on this forum.

Often referred to as 'mini' or one handed scorps IIRC.

The one in the first pic looks like an extremely curved hook knife while the one in use looks like a complete loop - like the 'mini' scorps I've seen.

Interesting use of the lanyard - it looks to be providing a pivot point in some way. I can see this might facilitate some cuts that are otherwise difficult &/or dangerous to perform.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I have seen that method used in Sweden but not tried it myself. Basically the cord creates a moveable pivot point for power cuts as an alternative to using the fingers of your left hand. I have an old Swedish hook that is not dissimilar though it does not quite close up.

DFCA

Nomad
Aug 11, 2009
Monmouthshire
Now how about commissioning someone to make some of these as the next group buy? :) I'd go for one, or maybe a few could get together to make a commission cheaper anyway?

ATB
Dave

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I have seen that method used in Sweden but not tried it myself. Basically the cord creates a moveable pivot point for power cuts as an alternative to using the fingers of your left hand. I have an old Swedish hook that is not dissimilar though it does not quite close up.

I was wondering what the neck cord was for.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Reminds me of having my Fergusun tractor tyres re-grooved I had the front wheel rims cut off the hubs and car rims welded on. Then the local (friendly) waggon garage used to recut, what were bald scrap car tyres with deep grooves, it surprising just how much rubber is left on a bald tyre and with no MOT requirement on tractors and a top speed of 10 MPH I was sorted. But it looked like this on the end of an electric soldering iron
just thought I'd chip in
cheers Danny

Last edited:

Ruvio

Nomad
It looks like the one in the top left, but deeper, with a semi-bowl section

Kind of looks like a melon baller with the bottom cut off. Which is exactly what i'm going to try right now to see what happens. see if i can sharpen it up to be of any use. Probably not mind.

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Long handles gives more power and control given your work have room for it. Top left and second row left are called "holkjärn" in Swedish and the bottom 4 are called "skavjärn" which is used quite different with no string. The top two right I think is leather working tools :).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE