Hobo Stove Gallery (Probably picture heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gsfgaz

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
More or less the same as the one you first showed us Gary. Strainer from Ikea and billy from Morrisons with a brake cable bail arm

DSC00687.jpg

Only thing I`ve changed is instead of using scewers for the pan supports I`ve used a fan cover from an old pc. I`ve put a handle on the billy lid which I can screw off when I pack it, once the grill goes on it keeps it all secure and doesn`t rattle anymore.

DSC00688.jpg

Steel cup and brew kit inside, nothing flash just nescafe sachets from hotel rooms and a mini nalgene with sugar and milk powder in.

nearly there ...
DSC00690.jpg

lovely.....
DSC00691.jpg

i like the fan cover idea, were did u get the cover..much better than tent pegs..

hiho

Native
Mar 15, 2007
South Yorkshire
the woolworths drainer (from poundstrecher) is £1.99
it is 13cm high 12cm in diameter (11cm internal) and has a circumfrence of 38cm

Monny

Nov 30, 2008
N.Lanarkshire
Hi guys!

I finally found out how to post pictures up on the site!

So here is my Hobo Stove!

The Pot is a Stainless Steel sugar container I bought from Asda £3.50

The burner is one of Alfies (the dogs) empty can of Chappie...crimped it around the edge wth pliers and there couldnt be a more perfect fit!... - £ Free

I also got an old wire coathanger and made a handle and two pegs to support the pot... The pot holds 700ml approximately and is 10cm in diameter and 13cm high

Hope you like it!

Javapuntnl

Need to contact Admin...
May 2, 2009
Mansfield MA USA
Here is mine. I wanted to keep it as small as possible for I didn't think I realy needed it => I could just build a fire... I didn't want it to take up any additional space in my pack. Version 3 is finaly to my liking and I have been using it a lot more than I thought I would.

DSCF5292.jpg

It all fits into a 12cm Zebra Billy

DSCF5296-1.jpg

Everything laid out, including tinder bag

DSCF5298.jpg

Tinder goes in the bottom part. Top part is stuffed with wood. I'm using paper here while taking the pics in the field it is usually birch bark. Light the tinder and put on the top and put the billy on top of that.

DSCF5300.jpg

DSCF5308.jpg

approx 6 minutes later 500ml of water comes to a boil

Depending on the wood I might need to add wood. For a full billy I need to refill twice.

DSCF5329.jpg

Just to show you how it's made.

Jacob V.

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
for people who are making their own burners, whats the best way to drill and cut the steel? do you need a metal workshop...
I managed using: battery drill, hacksaw, pliers, Dremel and... lump hammer. I cheated a little by borrowing a crimping tool at work for the handle.
Cobalt drill bits for stainless, if you've got them.

samthedog

Jun 12, 2009
Norway
Call me lazy, I made a gassifier from a food jar thermos. Works a treat and was free except for the ikea drainer.

379629252.jpg

379629256.jpg

379629259.jpg

379629260.jpg

It's easy to make, durable and cheap. Add to that the fact that it's VERY fuel efficient and does not smoke and you have a winner.

Paul.

MrPhil

Tenderfoot
May 26, 2009
East Coast of Kent, UK
for people who are making their own burners, whats the best way to drill and cut the steel? do you need a metal workshop...

The thing to remember about drilling steel or anything hard is to use a center punch. Thats a tool that looks like a fat nail - well mine looks like a fat nail. Mine is made from machine tooling steel - its really hard, hard as nails some might say. I also have one thats sprung loaded with a really sharp point on one end, you line it up and push it in, the spring mechanism inside clicks and produces a little dent in the material. Then i use the nail like punch, resting the material on a sturdy piece of wood, lining up the punch with the dent and giving it a confident hit with a reasonable sized hammer.

Then after that commotion I start to drill. The only way you can drill steel is with a sharp drill bit and once you have used a good sharp bit you will be amazed at how blunt a lot of you other bits are.

Slowly slowly catchy monkey.

Oh and if you can borrow some cutting fluid from the tool room at work then that helps. On a basic level it lubricates the drill bit, the hole, removes the swarf - bits of metal cut from hole and cools the drill bit. You can get away with using ordinary oil or WD40 but its no way as good as the proper stuff.

Thats my two pence worth and hope it helps.
Phil.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Oh and if you can borrow some cutting fluid from the tool room at work then that helps. On a basic level it lubricates the drill bit, the hole, removes the swarf - bits of metal cut from hole and cools the drill bit. You can get away with using ordinary oil or WD40 but its no way as good as the proper stuff.

I don't know if it's a good idea or not, but I've had quite good results using Castrol LM grease in lieu of cutting fluid - eye protection is a must, if a bit of swarf laden grease spins off the bit and hits your eye...

MrPhil

Tenderfoot
May 26, 2009
East Coast of Kent, UK
I don't know if it's a good idea or not, but I've had quite good results using Castrol LM grease in lieu of cutting fluid - eye protection is a must, if a bit of swarf laden grease spins off the bit and hits your eye...

I don't know the ins and outs of it all but basically you can use virtually anything to carry the swarf away from the hole and lubricate the cutting. In our tool room at work they use a cutting oil in constant flow - like someone holding a hose at the drilling. Its easy for them as they have all the gear and dont pay for fluid.

I wear glasses all the time and have workshop glasses for messing about with power tools so didn't think to mention it, well done and thanks for pointing it out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE