Hobo Stove Gallery (Probably picture heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
i thought it was the base of a smaller loaf tin?...

That's a great idea!

It's a piece of stove pipe that has been flattened and drilled, then folded.

twigstovegrate1c.jpg

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
Well i have got round to making a hobbo stove:)The bag is made out of a old combat trouser leg,great idea that one so simple:)The legs are from spare cupboard door bolts ;) Good fun sorcing all the materials for this project.

Last edited:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Personally I like the idea of those double wall woodstove burner things. You can make them with two different sized cans and some appropriately placed holes at the bottom on the outside and near top on the inside. There is a whole sicence to this as it involves secondary burning of the volitles from the wood where the inner holes are (heated air from between the two walls joins the volatiles from the wood ...

So on and on according to many other forums I've visited. I once heard of a canoe touring holiday company using the drum of a washing maching for a type of fire/stove.

Not sure these count as hobo stoves though, just thought I'd contribute something even if irrelevant. :D

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
My tumble drier has a stainless steel drum.
When it's time is up it's going to be converted into a Bar B Q.
I like to womble me. :)

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I don't really fit in here as I don't make stuff but have bought the honey stove instead. Does that count as a cheat's hobo stove? :)

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
these all look fantastic and im now searching for an old thermos flask to hack to bits, but until then i went traditional and made mine from just what i can find in the bin and my pocket knife. so far it consists of some old wire, 2 tin cans, some screws (to rest the pot on) and holes. its not quite finished yet but it works. when i have finished perfecting it i will show you it in action.

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
my "traditional" hobo stove:

the stove is in the middle, then the boiling tin to the right and saucepan with lid to the left and grill in front. this took about 15 mins scavenging through the recycling bin and 30mins to make all the stuff. everything tastes a bit metallic but i managed to cook 3 bits of bacon, a sausage, an egg (in two parts, i suppose traditional hobo's use pigeon eggs) and a cup of tea. everything tasted a bit metallic and had bits of ash in it but oh well, im happy with it! now i need to find an old thermos flask.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
That metalalic taste probably means the metals used to make the tins are leeching in to whatever your cooking and the ash is probably the coating they put in tins these days,think i will stick to stainless and alu pots.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE