Hobo Stove Gallery (Probably picture heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
OK, it's not that portable, but I've managed to improvise a wooden stove:
Woodstove.jpg

(burning out an old stump, I couldn't pass up the opportunity for a cuppa)

PS
Hobo shield (q.v.) in stowed configuration:
Stowedshield.jpg

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Ok guys inspired by all I have seen on this thread I cadged swmbos biscuit barrel after much grovelling and scraping and had my first go. I reckon it needs a tweak here and there and maybe a larger cooking pot but im quite chuffed.

Thanks to all for posting there pics I got lots of ideas!!

If I knew how I would post the pictures.

How do I post the pictures?

Andy

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Ok guys inspired by all I have seen on this thread I cadged swmbos biscuit barrel after much grovelling and scraping and had my first go. I reckon it needs a tweak here and there and maybe a larger cooking pot but im quite chuffed.

Thanks to all for posting there pics I got lots of ideas!!

If I knew how I would post the pictures.

How do I post the pictures?

Andy

Try this:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13734

pwb

Here's some pics of an upgrade I've made to my hobo stove.
Having seen a couple of stoves with legs I thought it looked like a good idea. I was originally thinking along the lines of those folding legs on the Peak 1 petrol stove but couldn't find an easy and cheap way of achieving that :( .
That was until I found some 50mm timber framed building ties discarded by some builders.
Made by a company called Staifix from stainless steel they looked ideal :) .

http://www.countysupplies.net/timberframe.html

DSC01870Small.jpg

I just folded the ties in half and made three simple bolted on slots to hold them firmly but still allowing quick removal (The Morrisons pot still fits inside for storage) .
DSC01874Small.jpg

Haven't tested them out yet but they do seem to add extra stability to the stove and raise it 2" of the ground.
DSC01869Small.jpg

Cheers, Pete.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Here's some pics of an upgrade I've made to my hobo stove.
Having seen a couple of stoves with legs I thought it looked like a good idea. I was originally thinking along the lines of those folding legs on the Peak 1 petrol stove but couldn't find an easy and cheap way of achieving that :( .
That was until I found some 50mm timber framed building ties discarded by some builders.
Made by a company called Staifix from stainless steel they looked ideal :) .

http://www.countysupplies.net/graphics/Timber Frame - studio.jpg

DSC01870Small.jpg

I just folded the ties in half and made three simple bolted on slots to hold them firmly but still allowing quick removal (The Morrisons pot still fits inside for storage) .
DSC01874Small.jpg

Haven't tested them out yet but they do seem to add extra stability to the stove and raise it 2" of the ground.
DSC01869Small.jpg

Cheers, Pete.

What a great adaptation Pete

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
Cool, these are getting good.

I started out with a Woolies drainer, now these are getting technical. I love those legs and may have to have a go too.

Cheers,
Steve

stonyman

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 8, 2004
Gloucester
I've finally made one, it was great fun, now need to fire it up and sit back and enjoy the first brew from it.
DSCF0169.jpg
[/IMG]

DSCF0173.jpg

kai055

Forager
Dec 29, 2006
Hornchurch
i've made my hobo stove from one of those ikea utensil holders but did had it the other way up and cut the bottom out top make it the top, pics hopefully to come soon

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
After seeing puubs great modification I had a go at making legs for my hobo stove along the same Idea :D

P3310109.jpg

P3310115.jpg

P3310114.jpg

cheers Russ

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Neat, very neat, I think I need an upgrade :rolleyes: :D
I like the ashpan idea too. I think I'm going to see if I can find a bit of fireblanket stuff that plumbers and central heating engineers use. That ought to do for an ashpan as well as to wrap it up in to stop rattles.

cheers,
Toddy

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
If by ashpan you mean the tinfoil, it'll also act as a reflector (many gas stoves now come with them as standard). This should increase the efficiency of your heat source.

But won't stop rattles. Swings... roundabouts.

Air Pirate

Tenderfoot
Mar 16, 2009
Nashville, TN, USA
First please understand I mean no offense when I say, Wayland, after reading the earlier posts in this thread I have a hard time picturing a "freelance viking" in an Ikea. Let me also say that your hobo stove was the inspiration behind my rig.

All "nested" together.
Gear_N_EmSexy028.jpg

All that was inside at the time of the photo shoot.
Gear_N_EmSexy029.jpg

How the stove and my billy go together.
Gear_N_EmSexy030.jpg

Somewhere I have some low quality cell phone pics of this stove in action, just not sure where they are. Eventually I'm going to put a knob or handle on the lid of the billy so I can actually use it. The stove and the billy were purchased at Wal-Mart and Target respectively then heavily modified of course. Whole set cost about $10.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE