Hobo Stove Gallery (Probably picture heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
It boiled a full billy (approx 1.7 litres) in about 10 mins I think. I wasn't really timing it and could be way out. I basically lit it and got it going nicely then topped up the fuel and popped the billy on. The one fuel load boiled the billy and I think kept a rolling boil for a while. To top up fuel you can poke bits inbetween billy and stove top but it is easier to lift the billy, it's so stable that this isn't a problem. Any ash just dropped down through the larger mesh into the base but there wasn't much at all, pretty much everything was consumed, including a lot of cider hence the vagueness.

I never noticed any sooting on the inside of the jacket but I've only played with it once or twice. The only mod I've planned and that was sort of there from the start is to make a sliding cover for the air entry slot at the bottom to allow the airflow to be restricted and reduce heat output.

I'll have a slightly more scientific and less drunken play at the weekend and post up the results.

Cheers

Grebby

Right, I eventually got round to actually timing stuff. I went with 1 litre of water and discovered my guestimate was WAY out. I lit it and it basically took 2-3 mins to get going really well. I then topped it up with long upright split wood (pencil thick to just over 1cm square) a bit shorter than the length of the basket and popped the billy on. I discovered that the long stuff burned very quickly and had to top it up about 4 mins later. This time I used shorter fuel and basically put as much in as possible placed across the basket. this lasted longer but it took another top up before the water boiled. Boiling took 15 mins from putting the billy on but did keep a rolling boil for about 5 mins more.

The ash left was minimal and had dropped into the base. I could pick up the stove with a riggers glove on without any heat issues and there were only a couple of small (approx 1cm cubed) coals left in the basket.

I still need to sort out some form of wind shield for it but I think it works OK. Thicker fuel may help burn times but I'll have to see. The only annoying thing is having to lift the billy to top up fuel but it's not that bad

I've added a few pics of it lit to the picasa web album Here. The pic of the wood shows the long length and the short lengths were basically half this length.The laplander is there for scale and cutting the stuff up:D . I probably went through 1.5 to 2 times as much as is shown in that pic.

Cheers

Grebby

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
For those of you still making hobo stoves (and I knew that I'd seen it somewhere) Homebase have stainless steel 12.5cm dia, 17cm tall cutlery pot with lots of holes for £4.99 as per these

showfull.php

showfull.php

Now you just need either the standard issue Zebra billy or something else which is 12cm in diameter.

Chris

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I put this up on another thread somewhere on here.

It is sweet tin with used cooking oil it. a cotton rag wraps around the outside and that becomes a wick when lit. It boils water in 10-15 minutes (I have timed it).
6C_DSC00102.jpg

6A_DSC00104.jpg

THERE IS ONLY ONE VERY SERIOUS PROBLEM WITH IT, IF ANY WATER AT ALL GOES ON THE FLAME IT PRODUCES A FIRE BALL. But it is small and compact knocks out heat, fits on pocket and doesn't leek, It is easy to light, just dont over fill the kettle, and check it is level before lighting.

xylaria

Try it out at the midlands meet.

Put the uncooked pig on the spit. Light the wick get everyone to stand back (at least ten feet) then splash some water on it. i would interested to know if the pig gets burnt by the fireball.

I slightly over filled the kettle and fireball was as tall as I am. It only flashed for an instant but I am certain it would of torched a tarp if there was one near, I dread to think what it could do to bare skin or the wrong clothes. Saying that it is very small for the amount heat it produces when used correctly, it is certainly more effective than shop bought pocket stoves and blocks. It is put out easily by putting the sweet tin lid back on.

Any suggestions for making it safer would be seriously appreciated.

pwb

Here's my effort:
DSC01516.jpg

Made from a Woolies drainer and a Morrisons pot, yet to fit the wire handle but have gathered all the necessary bits.
DSC01508.jpg
DSC01507.jpg

Also made a pouch from the leg from an old pair of trousers (great idea).
DSC01521.jpg

Really enjoyed making it :D .
Thanks Wayland, works a treat.

Pete.

sparksfly

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2008
London
For those of you still making hobo stoves (and I knew that I'd seen it somewhere) Homebase have stainless steel 12.5cm dia, 17cm tall cutlery pot with lots of holes for £4.99 as per these

showfull.php

showfull.php

Now you just need either the standard issue Zebra billy or something else which is 12cm in diameter.

Chris

Unfortunately the Homebase strainer is slightly too small for use with the standard 12cm zebra billy.

Bimble

Forager
Jul 2, 2008
Stafford, England
Ladies and Gents, while huddling under my poncho on Sunday, I found time to take a few picks of my Hobo for this thread. For the record, here are the features that make it a little unique.
It uses a biscuit container from Wilkinsons , this has nicely rounded top and bottom which make it smoother to pack and the lid acts as a fantastic bowl. This is a really good feature as it provides a clean surface for preparing ingredients , placing you spoon etc.( If I’m going light I sometimes leave the bowl behind ) The rounded bottom also allows me to fit a grill (old computer fan guard) which allows for the use of charcoal when on the moors or mountains. Charcoal is light and provides a great heat for slow cooking of stews and the like, even when in the woods. (You can light your hobo and then go off and do other things while dinner cooks instead of continually feeding it).
I use a 1 litre Primus stainless Billy as the main pot in mine as I prefer a handle on my pan to hold while I stir or eat.
The stove used two skewers to hold the pan at the correct height. There are two positions for the skewers the first for an open fire, the second (lower) for charcoal and my spirit burner.
The Billy is a loose fit with about 1cm all the way around. The pan then fits either 5 or 8cm inside this ‘chimney’ jacket during use which improves its heating efficiency and draw on the fire.
The hobo will also accommodate my 12cm Zebra Billy with the Primus one inside for compactness when on canoe trips.
The Primus handles are bent slightly to form a spring fit with the stove when packed to prevent annoying rattling when hiking with just the main Billy.
I use a stainless steel pan scourer to clean the pans, they last forever, dry instantly and can be sterilised over a fire if they ever get pongy. They weight nothing and pack to nothing and are very efficient at cleaning even burnt on food. I strongly recommend you get one.

hobo&

hobo%20alight.jpg

hobo%20top%20off.jpg

hobo%20bag.jpg

shawn

Tenderfoot
Nov 6, 2008
usa
gabushcraft.blogspot.com
some great hobos here, i like the assortment of different designs.
heres an easy one made from #10 coffee can and clotheshanger grill
img2854ta0.jpg

img2845af7.jpg

and heres a hobo stove gone wrong, guess it was too thin. :D
img3152kw1.jpg

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Not tried the stove in your link but as far as food, anything goes!
As Bimble says some charcoal makes a difference doing stews type dishes, as does a small meths burner for a quick stop for a brew when out walking or first thing in the morning after a night out in the cold.
Having a decent sized lid on your cooking pot and a full on breakfast is called for I reckon, or fry a banock/soda bread to go with anything.
Food is good.:)

Here is what we have been using at the meets it can be scaled back to just the piping if need be...
I'm sure one can be made up with some sheet metal and some ingenuity to make it brake down into a small enough package..
This has been impressing everyone as to how quick it boils up a pot of water and that once it gets going is smoke free..

rocketstove.jpg

Gailainne

Life Member

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE