Sweaty Hexamine!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi this is more of a caution for hexamine users that anything else.

I was given a whole load of unopened Mod issue Hexamine blocks a couple of years ago, I have no idea how old they are.

After a year or two of being stored in a shed (admittedly a cold/damp shed)1 of the unopened boxes (the white wax covered one issued with rations you'd recognise) started to leak...an unknown thick watery/paste substance!

I assumed it was condensation or perhaps water, but why I wasnt sure, it can't be water, I touched the liquid and it dried white on my hand...I'm NOT going to taste it! :rolleyes:

The blocks still light, and the thick liquid/paste appears to "melt" and or burn normally just as well as the blocks it just seems to spit more than normal but not to a dangerous extent, (i.e. can be used as normal).

OK so they still burn, , but the downside is this, the liquid makes the box damp, and the liquid leaks onto whatever the box was on.

I'm assuming this is all caused by the unknown extended age(could be anything from 10-30+ years), possibly cold from being in my shed, either way it may mark or damage clothing or equipment, I say "may" as I don't know what the liquid is, or what it would do to: Gore-tex, Leather, Canvas, or Nylon.

The liquid appears to be harmless and has no odour but as a precaution I would suggest if you have older Hexamine make sure it's stored in a waterproof container or waterproof bag in transit.

may not happen to you, but worth knowing.

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
It's the oil "sweating" through most likely. Makes for a mess, but shouldn't be a problem if you repackage it. Will still burn and do it's job.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Should be safe to handle. Common sense rules apply wear gloves or wash hands, don't lick fingers etc. If I recall my chemistry correctly Hexamine is the chemical starting point for various military grade firecrackers but otherwise it's insensitive to abuse.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Interesting , as the same happened to my army surplus cookers with the big blocks of hex inside ...
It's made a mess , but luckily it was in the shed.
Still ... As long as it will work then I'm happy.
Thanks for sharing the information.👍

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE