Hex Fly / Tarp Group Buy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

risby

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
dorset, uk
MagiKelly said:
Hi

On the hammock group buy I was often asked about what tarp to use. I use a hennessy hex fly and I have now been in contact with a company that can supply the Henessy Hex Flys. These retail usually for £50 plus postage. I am trying to negotiate a bulk discount but need numbers first. If I cannot get the cost down to less than £50 delivered to your door, including PayPal fees then I would not be going ahead. What I need is an idea of how many people are interested. There is no comitment at this point just a note of interest.

I'd like one of those

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
They actually weigh 700 grams, which is pretty great for a 10 by 12 foot PU tarp.
The hex one costs around 160 American, but Maccat makes a silnylon one the same size for $110.
After using my Hex fly in a sideways-rain situation (and staying dry), I say its worth the weight to carry a large tarp!

monkey_pork

Forager
May 19, 2005
Devonshire
Put me down in principle please.
I've not long bought a new lightweight tarp, but this looks like it might be useful ... although then there is the agony of decision. :bluThinki

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Perhap's a silly question :eek: - but i'm sure i'm not the first to wonder.......

I assume that you sleep 'point to point' under a folded diamond... why / is this so much better or is it?

and another thing.... all the piccies i've seen of these tarps are over hammocks - anyone used them over a 'ground bed'?

...... slinks away quietly hopeing no-one's noticed him ;)

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
MagiKelly said:
That's why I have not done a group buy for climbing tape or carabiners yet :p

note the use of the word yet........ :D

as to the tarp, it's a hexagon not a diamond. they give better coverage as you have all the advantages of a square tarp set up as square or diamond.
that is, the points cover the hammock tethers and yet you still have plenty of living room under the fly.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Graham_S said:
the points cover the hammock tethers and yet you still have plenty of living room under the fly.

And Graham knows this as on the last day of the Scottish Meet the skies opened and he was struggling to keep all his kit under his tarp while I cooked breakfast under mine. I distinctly remember the phrase " I must have a look into these Hex Flys"

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
John, these are out of my price range at the moment, but i have a suggestion!
(i know this would mean a lot more work for you and i know how much hassle group buys are.. this is only an idea!)
to a me a £50 pound is a LOT of money for what is essentially a very simple design no matter how high the quality of the workmand ship or material.
i know someone on this forum has connections for cheapish materials, why not get in touch with a sail make and have them make something of the same kind of thing up!?

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
tomtom said:
John, these are out of my price range at the moment, but i have a suggestion!
(i know this would mean a lot more work for you and i know how much hassle group buys are.. this is only an idea!)
to a me a £50 pound is a LOT of money for what is essentially a very simple design no matter how high the quality of the workmand ship or material.
i know someone on this forum has connections for cheapish materials, why not get in touch with a sail make and have them make something of the same kind of thing up!?

I have already had this thought. Remember if you look at one of the links in my signature you will see I am fairly close to someone who is a dab hand with a sewing machine. Problem is if Karen were to do the sewing she would need to do it for free as I can't make money on these or I am breaking forum rules.

Anyway looking at the figures. To make a Hex Fly you need 7m of material at about £3 m. So £21 on Material. Then we have thread, 13m of edging tape say that adds £3. Then we have 6 guy lines at 4m = 24m @ £0.20 so that is another £4.80. So for materials we are at £28.80 without any labour cost at all. Now adding labour onto this is going to make any saving minimal.

To be honest if we cannot get the Hex Fly low enough I have found another Tarp that is 4m x 3m and sells for just over £40. I could always try and get a discount on it instead.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE