Help with choosing the right axe for my needs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Emil0509

May 22, 2013
Denmark
Hello, ive been doing some research about axe sizes/styles. But i wanted to be sure with my buy. I will use it for splitting wood/processing firewood and other work around camp(Max 10 cm diameter or something). I do not plan on building some big log cabin. Just a nice bushcrafter axe that can do the most basic things.

Brands= Granfors bruks/wetterlings??

I think a "hatchet" would be better for my needs than an "axe"

Any suggestions?

I have a Sven Folding Saw 21" for taking down smaller trees
And a Becker BK2 for smaller work.

Thanks
-Emil

Most of the typical axes from GB/Wetterlings aren't ideal splitters (SFA etc) but they do make splitting axes as well. However, those are mainly dedicated splitters. With some good technique the Small Forest Axe is an ok splitter. I've heard the Les Stroud bushman axe from Wetterlings is a bit better at splitting tasks, but if similar to the SFA. I think something like this is ideal.

However, there is also the hultafors brand as well as hatchets from all these companies.

I have a Wetterlings Large Hunters Axe as well as a GB Outdoors axe.

good luck.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Have a look at the hultafors trekker, i've had an sfa & the axe owners holy grail of a cegga, but settled on the hultafors.

Rob

Leiflet

Nomad
Jun 5, 2013
Devon
All of the above. There's nothing wrong with the Husqvarna hatchet for the kind of stuff you'll be using it for. Assuming you've got big hands to accommodate the chunky handle (I haven't particularly).

Cheers,
Leif

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
For splitting and general camp duties, you won't go far wrong with a fiskars x10, nice wide cheeks for splitting with ease, takes a wicked edge and holds it well.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Emil0509

May 22, 2013
Denmark
Mostly i would gather my firewood from the ground but it would be nice to have an axe that can split some 7-9 cm diameter logs when everything is sooo wet. its it not a dedicated 100% for splitting - just be able to get the job done. It should be a good hatchet for camp work like firewood, clearing stuff, smaller shelter work. I dont think i would be carving spoons or something like that with it.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Don't just look at the expensive axes, a lot of the cheaper ones do the job just as well, have you used any other axes people have?.

Also do you know how to keep and edge, an expensive axe will cut just as bad if its blunt/damaged as a cheap one, some say learn to use and sharpen a cheap one first.. I know a few guys that have all the toys... but you know the rest....

I've got different axes and my fav one for using is still my cheap and cheerful one... funnily enough others like it as well....

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have the sfa and the husky hatchet, recently I have been using the husky it is shorter but I find that it splitts better

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I don't rate the 18" length of helve for general use - its too short for safe two handed work (look at all the injuries posted on the forum), Its over heavy for light one handed use.

For a lightweight "inside the pack" axe, I suggest something in the 40cm range helve with a 500g head. For a general purpose axe I suggest something in the 60cm helve with 1kg head range. Hultafors, Wetterling and Gransfors all make things in both size ranges. Given you are talking about splitting no larger than 10cm, I suggest the smaller option.

Red

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I see the Fiskars X10 has been recommended. I was going to suggest the X7. They have a splitting profile, unlike most other hatchets, are relatively lightweight (a factor in a hatchet that you might stick in a bag), and all of their reviews are excellent.

Perhaps not as aesthetically pleasing as a Gransfors, but a really good axe.

-Emil

This is my choice for processing oak, typically 7 ~ 8 cm, up to your 10 cm limit:

IMG_0257_zps431c5d1d.jpg

Wetterlings Backcountry Axe, Sven 15" saw, TOPS B.O.B. knife.

Emil0509

May 22, 2013
Denmark
There is so many things to consider: but i came to Wetterlings small hunters axe - Wetterlings Large hunting axe - Gränsfors Bruks Small Forrest Axe. What do you guys think of these?

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Gb scandi forest axe. Long enough to use two handed and keep the sharp bit away from your self. Blade is thin enough for fine work and i prefer the added weight against the lighter hatchet.
If you are processing firewood at home just buy a cheap maul for splitting. Seen them for sale in my local garden place for about £10.

leon-1

There is so many things to consider: but i came to Wetterlings small hunters axe - Wetterlings Large hunting axe - Gränsfors Bruks Small Forrest Axe. What do you guys think of these?

I have a GB Small Forest Axe, I also have a GB Hunters Axe and I have used the Wetterlings, however I also have a Snow & Nealley Hudson Bay Axe and an "Old Faithful". Both the Hudson Bay and the Old Faithful are used far more than the GBSFA or GB Hunters.

I am with Red on this, I don't think that the SFA is big enough for serious work and it's too large for one handed work. If you're after a bigger axe then go for a Snow & Nealley Hudson Bay axe. If you're after a little splitter then the Fiskars axes are difficult to beat. If I am working from a camp then I will bring a larger axe like the Hudson Bay, but for most times out walking I use a Fiskars (an older version of the X10) for exactly what you are looking at doing with your axe. I don't just pick up off the floor though, I find standing dead, saw to size and then split.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its a great axe the Scandinavian - it has a slim profile more designed for cutting than splitting - but I have found it splits just fine! Big enough to use two handed, light enough to use one handed - you won't go far wrong with a Scandinavian Forest Axe

Good angle by British Red, on Flickr

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
I have just sold my hatchet as I found that I tend to split kindling at home with a bigger axe and when I am out camping then I use my knife for pretty much all the tasks I would bring a hatchet for. Now days if I need an axe for camping I bring a bigger one or I don't bring one at all .

I have RM wilderness axe and I recently got a new axe which is made by a guy in Latvia who has a small company called Autine . The autine is my favourite and was paid for out of the tips my customers at work give me (I am a post man) :)

I agree with BR about either a bigger axe with 60cm handle or a small hatchet depending on what ye want it for

Last edited:

Emil0509

May 22, 2013
Denmark
New thing came up.. As for what i would use the axe for, maybe a big knife would be ketter suited(ofc big enough for splitting) for example the Becker BK9 with a 9 inch blade i believe.

As mentioned before i have a Sven saw and a BK2 already. and i do not have very much experince with axe sharpening/service and safety :-O

And there is the price diffrence axe=130 $ vs knife=82 $

What are your thoughts of this?

I would love an axe - But again i am not going the fell trees. Mostly just for processing firewood(splitting into smaller pieces) at camp "if" everything on the ground is wet.

Last edited:

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
If your thinking about buying a big knife for splitting, your going to be buying a tool that isn't designed for the job.
Dont be fooled into thinking you need to spend all that on an axe, you don't.
If you do buy the big knife you might then decide you need to do some chopping, limbing and the knife will do you no good. Buy the tool for the job.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE