Advice on axe selection

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I should hasten to add that I have had my SFA for about 13 years, which put its purchase ahead of the more ready availability of alternatives that are now being seen. There may have been alternatives, but this forum didn't exist, British Blades had barely been born, and it was a lot harder to find information than it is now. I bought the SFA because I had seen Ray using one on TV (and it looked good!) and I didn't know of anything else that would work like it. I bought from Woodlore and it cost £45. If I was coming to the market now I might look at the alternatives quite seriously.

K813ZRA

May 1, 2015
Spain
Hultafors Classic Hunter's os a geat choice as well in this range. Considerably cheaper than SFA too...

hulta_hunters-1a.jpg

This is one of the ones I was looking at. It appears to have a more general purpose head. However, as I said, I don't know what if any difference there is between the hunters axe, Aneby and bushcraft axe. The pictures all appear to be the same but the British, Candian and American markets all seem to use a different name. Going by the picture alone, I would say that they are the same axe. All said, I can get any model but the above axe would ship from the UK putting it at 30 USD shipping. This kills off the price difference. Still cheaper then GB and wetterlings offerings by 25% when there is an abundance on amazon but a savings of 100% when they only have one or two as they seem to jack up the price.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have just made a new handle for my tomahawk - and realise now that it is almost the same length as my GB SFA ... I really do like that size of axe for general use!
SFA
basic trio in covers.jpg
Hawk
P2120003.jpg

richardhomer

Settler
Aug 23, 2012
STOURBRIDGE
I'll push the boat out and say have a look at the STHIL forestry axe. You can get the bright orange one or go more pricey for a bushy look of the 1926 edition :)

Mines fantastic, absolutely love it :)

I have the sthil forest hatchet, Iv had it and used it weekly now for three years. you can get a great edge on it. Its hard wearing and at only £30 or less its also a bargain. The only down side I have found with it is the weight. For me its a little heavy when using it for cutting kindling. But that's a personal thing and based on my own strength and build.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE