Head torch red light

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
This is probably a silly question, but can some kind person tell me - what is the advantage of having a red light setting on a head torch? Ta in advance.

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
As far as I know it's for stealth. It allows you to see where you're going and what you're doing but the light as much less visible to other people from a distance.

So I've heard.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Map reading at night, etc, etc,

Doesn't damage night vision - I've found it useless for walking because I seem to have little or no depth perception when using red or green lights.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
It may be more info than you're looking for but Neil Shubin's book Your Inner Fish has a pretty nice little section on the evolution of the human eye and the development of why the eye does what it does. And it's a pretty entertaining read.

As well as using green or red light torches there are a couple of other tricks for preserving your night vision like wandering around with one eye shut or using Quality Street wrappers as filters.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
As above, but wildlife in particular don't see red light (some do, many don't) so it is good for watching wildlife without spooking them. Red light is no good for map reading at night as you can't see contours. That's what the green light is for. The drawback to green is that it is more easily seen by people and wildlife than the red light.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
As above, but wildlife in particular don't see red light (some do, many don't) so it is good for watching wildlife without spooking them. Red light is no good for map reading at night as you can't see contours. That's what the green light is for. The drawback to green is that it is more easily seen by people and wildlife than the red light.

Depends on the individual maps. Aviation charts are generally "red light readable" As are most military maps. Whereas many civilian topographic maps aren't (as you pointed out)

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Depends on the individual maps. Aviation charts are generally "red light readable" As are most military maps. Whereas many civilian topographic maps aren't (as you pointed out)
Same reason why all sea charts used to be printed only in black and white. Modern ones aren't as good to read under red light.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE