Hats for big heads?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
Hi Folks,

I have always had problems finding headgear for my large head (63cm or usually XXL) although I do have a Tilley for general outdoor use. I also know that I can get a Paramo or Lowe Alpine mountain cap to fit me for winter.

What I have been looking for however is a waterproof & breathable brimmed hat such as a bush hat or boonie (ideally not cammo) that I can stuff in a pocket of my rucksack. Every supplier that I have found on the net seems to have XL (61 cm) as their maximum size, does anyone know of any hats that might fit the bill (and my large napper)?

All comments gratefully received.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Hi Folks,I have always had problems finding headgear for my large head (63cm or usually XXL) although I do have a Tilley for general outdoor use. I also know that I can get a Paramo or Lowe Alpine mountain cap to fit me for winter.What I have been looking for however is a waterproof & breathable brimmed hat such as a bush hat or boonie (ideally not cammo) that I can stuff in a pocket of my rucksack. Every supplier that I have found on the net seems to have XL (61 cm) as their maximum size, does anyone know of any hats that might fit the bill (and my large napper)?All comments gratefully received.
I can't offer advice just sympathy as the owner of an equally large bonce. Tilley are the only makers i have found that cater for my size.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Same problem. I'm a 62cm at minimum.

Got a 62cm Swedish winter hat from Endy's, but it turns out that their sizing is generous, and it is actually about a 60cm. Doesn't exist in a bigger size.

I want one of those trapper hats with the ear flaps, but preferably in green and not in any sort of lumberjack check pattern. Can't be done, in my experience.

Us bigheads are badly treated, I tell you.

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
try www.hatsandcaps.co.uk they have lots of big hats and i saw some boonies !
no relation to said shop blah blah blah , just a happy big heided customer !

cheers andrew.

I've been on that site - it has a great range but frustratingly the ones that might suit the job are just slightly undersized for me, or are just "water repellant" rather than waterproof.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I was looking at the Barmah's today, they look good. Very well made. On a par with my Tilley, but I still prefer the Tilley

They were on a local market stall, I'm sure I saw a 63 in the rack.

I cant see a need for a waterproof hat though, my nylon tilley stops all rain passing through, it just gets damp in prolonged rain. A waterproof hat would be a lot less breathable and much sweatier.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE