XL summer hats - definitely not Tilley!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
You know it seems that I the UK it's very hard to find summer hats in larger sizes that aren't Tilley. Any ideas?

BTW i exclude Tilley because I had an organic airflow t5 that basically shrank from 7 5/8 to small enough to fit my son who was 8 at the time. And no stretching when dry, wet or any other way made no difference. In fact in frustration I stretched it so forcefully I heard stitches pop but it didn't get any bigger. Perhaps nylon version or non organic cotton version might be better but at £70 plus I'm not even going there.

But I'm not here to discuss Tilley I am long for something else. I've got Brazilian tarp hat both in brimmed and baseball cap version. Perfect size at 62cm but boy is it sweaty!

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
That's the only one close in size. 61cm for xl. Shops near me that sell it only have large up to 59.5 I think. Guess I'll have to buy online and take advantage of distance selling laws to return if xl doesn't fit. Prefer to try and buy instore locally but hey, if you want choice you rarely get that in store these days I reckon.

There's also TNF bora bora I think but i can't see the sizing.

Reactions: santaman2000

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
XL Outdoor Research Helios Sun Hat. Mighty big with a crown tensioning cord, chinstrap, packable and quick dry.
Thanks.

Do you have one or have you tried one? What are they like? Very floppy rim I reckon. I had a vbrimmer hat from TNF I think. A very wide bit floppy brim

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Tarp hat….vented version….
Saw that when checking what size I bought. Good for Crown but it still looks like the canvas rim is against your forehead which will still be hot and sweaty. I think the issue is the waterproof canvas and where it contacts your skin.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Good ideas but it's frustrating that there's so many good hats out there but they stop at too small for me. The choices in the right size is limited and they're not quite right for me somehow, I'm being fussy and beggars can't be choosy.

You know I'm even looking at Tilley nylon again, if it wasn't for the mahoosive price increase since I got mine. Mine was something like £50 which I thought was expensive back then. Now they're £70 and I saw one model at £80+.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I've even looked at military boonies for a plain green or other single colour version. Not found anything so far. All common that I've seen.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Ironically I first came across BCUK while looking for a hat. Now I'm looking for a good Panama hat but the real ones made of toquilla straw are expensive and generally only available online.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
You may want to think outside the (hat) box for sources. I am unfamiliar with import duties, but
do Commonwealth members get any breaks? Australia’s Akubras have larger sizes and, while felt offer superb protection. My source is www.davidmorgan.com in Seattle Washington for a good look see.
They are a Welsh family that went to Australia and then Seattle. David
Was the whip maker for the Indiana Jones movies. Ethnic alternatives?
The woven, triangle Chinese ‘coolie’ hat is simple and cool to wear. I’d pass on vintage pith helmets unless reading OUT OF AFRICA with a gin and tonic. Had one, hated it. Reenactor societies
Often have large, unfinished straw bonnets. My fav? A traditional maquey cactus sombrero gifted by a Charro. It looks silly, is a walking Brolly and veranda.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
MIght be worth looking outside the usual retailers and looking at those who supply anglers. Lot of variety available there.....and usually cheaper than bushcrafting type prices too.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hi Paul,

I work outdoors on the Smallholding & have had skin cancer (twice). As you can imagine, I take sun protection seriously. My choice for a Summer hat is a Rogue Kalahari. Mine is many years old, slightly faded & sweat stained but nothing a good wash wouldn't fix. Strongly recommend.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
The vented Brazilian tarp hat (the sides are entirely netting) is the best I've found for summer. I also have a Helikon-tex boonie XL which is a perfect fit.

Reactions: sidpost

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Hi Paul,

I work outdoors on the Smallholding & have had skin cancer (twice). As you can imagine, I take sun protection seriously. My choice for a Summer hat is a Rogue Kalahari. Mine is many years old, slightly faded & sweat stained but nothing a good wash wouldn't fix. Strongly recommend.

If it’s convenient, would you mind measuring the brim width please? I’ve had a scout around and can’t see a measurement for it. Thanks!

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
BTW i exclude Tilley because I had an organic airflow t5 that basically shrank from 7 5/8 to small enough to fit my son who was 8 at the time. And no stretching when dry, wet or any other way made no difference. In fact in frustration I stretched it so forcefully I heard stitches pop but it didn't get any bigger. Perhaps nylon version or non organic cotton version might be better but at £70 plus I'm not even going there.

I know you don't want to talk about Tilley, but could you expand on this a little please? My Tilley (now 19 years old!) has been washed several times and never shrunk, it says it's guaranteed not to shrink on the label, and it has a lifetime guarantee. Are new Tilleys different? Do they no longer offer the same guarantee? And, are they no longer made in Canada? If I lost mine I'd go and buy another (if they are still made of the same quality) - oh, but I wouldn't need to, it's insured against loss apparently (no idea how they would do that, I've long since lost the receipt!).

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
OK. First up mine was bought 15 years ago, possibly longer. I haven't worn it for the last 8 plus years and tbh didn't use it all the time before then, often choosing a couple of outdoors caps I had. It did however get pretty sweat stained such that I had to wash it several times.

Each time it shrank a lot but would stretch out to some degree. At first it was OK but later it got smaller and smaller. I always stretched when wet by hooking it on my knee and pulling up to n stretch it. I read that's the way to manually stretch them. I'm not paying for a wooden hat stretcher. After I realised it no longer fitted me I rewashed it and stretched it so hard that I'm popped ba few seams. It did get bigger and fitted me when wet after stretch. However after drying it always became too small.

Now washing was to instructions taken from their website but I also tried hand washing too. It made no difference. It simply shrunk and stayed shrunk.

You know those dachstein mitts, they're made oversized and boil washed to their final size. Whilst my Tilley hat was never subject to excessive heat when washed it shrank to its final size that's less than what it should have been.

Do you think I've got enough cause to get a replacement under their guarantee? What's the process?

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
BTW they're all made in China. Just checked their website. It's right at the top of the specifications section, "made in China ".

Last edited by a moderator:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
BTW they're all made in China. Just checked their website. It's right at the top of the specifications section, "made in China ".

OK, then they've changed; mine says 'made in Canada' - it sound like they have reduced the quality and not long after I bought mine :(

However - I just checked, and the T3 Cotton hat (the original like mine) is still made in Canada and it still says guaranteed for life! The Airflow models appear different; they say wash cold!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE