Headwear for the in between months?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
It struck me today that there's a need for a beanie hat that's not too warm but covers your head for autumnal wind. I've got plenty of sun hats, summer caps, winter caps and winter beanies. I don't have and haven't really seen thin and less warm beanies for likes of today. It's too warm for wool hats, it's on and off heavy rain showers with sun in between.

There's under helmet hats but they're like a base layer look with obvious seams that IMHO isn't a good look as the outside layer.

What's your solution to the in between months for headgear?

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I had one as a kid, real Harris tweed bought at a point to point. It was really warm and stood me well one very cold and snowy winter when we lived over winter in the Ribble valley near Ribchester and got snowed in. Temperatures in the negative for quite a few weeks IIRC. Not what I'm thinking of. Mind you I did see Harris tweed caps from a company near penrith that was sold on a Saturday market stall n in kendal that tempted me. Only ten or fifteen quid! For pure wool of course. You can pay a fortune for designer flat caps in cooler fabrics that might be OK. I refuse to spend sixty plus quid for a cotton or viscose flat cap just for a kangaroo symbol on it!

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland

I go with this one spring-summer-fall. Warm but not too warm unless in mddle of summer. Sheds rain nicely (probably treated with DWR). I have three colors of it but mostly use the green one.

Reactions: CLEM

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Thin fleece caps with visor and ear flaps. I also like the Bundeswehr light winter cap, very good design.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
These Eastman watchcaps are very, very good. Beautifully well made and comfortable. Also makes you look handsome in rough, overweight kind of Springsteen sort of way. Has the bizarre effect of making one look forward to the kind of weather you might wear it in. Obvs, take the label off. :)

There's a wool baseball cap too; warmer than the cotton ones there.

Also look out for a good quality 'Radar' cap.

Last edited:

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Grow your hair.....

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
I used to go bare headed in the rain. My hair was so thick I could keep a dry head in heavy rain. I'm late 40s so whilst still a full head of hair it's not water resistant for a couple of hours like in my 20s.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
A good quality Basque beret, the type without a headband, is comfortable and very weather resistant. Get a decent size to allow shaping to suit the conditions and pull right down if necessary.

A good quality basque, on the other hand, doesn't keep your ears terribly warm.

Reactions: bigbear

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Im a baldie, and so in the in-between seasons i wear one of these, by day and/or by night:

Sarma merino wool beanie.
That's the only kind of lightweight beanie I've seen, the ones with prominent seams. Might be good but I would wear such hats anywhere and everywhere. I prefer them to look decent too. I don't think the ones with seams do.

Like this one from running brand innov8.

Montane one

Another montane one

All these are good but IMHO don't look good when used on the streets too. Multi use but I guess I'm being vain here.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Basque beret? That's a joke right? No offence if not but I've never even seen one for sale, let alone thought they could even be an option. A flat cap is a far as I'd go for the traditional hat styles. I can barely carry off the common hat styles like baseball caps, beanies and certain brimmed hats let alone the unusual.

I might be vain but I think we all are to different degrees, I just like more mainstream looks. In winter you see more people in places like Sweden and Norway wearing the woollie hats like beanies and watch cap than you do over here. I bet they'll be wearing hats now but here it's not as common I think and not this early in autumn.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I'm 48 but it's not about others but me. I give a .... about kit I have looking good in my eyes. It's not true its just that outdoor only kit is pure function not looks. Pure "street wear" is about look I'm comfortable in. Outdoor/street it's a mix. Horses for courses I suppose.

Straight outdoor seams only matter if they make the hat uncomfortable. Straight street use I might not use anything or just use a slouch type hat. But I don't really do just street so it's why I'm looking on an outdoors based forum and online sources.

Probably makes no sense to anyone but me that!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE