XL summer hats - definitely not Tilley!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
If it’s convenient, would you mind measuring the brim width please? I’ve had a scout around and can’t see a measurement for it. Thanks!
On the Airhead which (I think) is the same as the Kalahari in size the brim depth on mine is 6.5cm at the front 7cm at the sides and 7.5 at the back.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    379.9 KB · Views: 7

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I was also thinking the airhead - do you get on with it ok?
Love it! Tough, long lasting and travels well. Well vented. And stays on your head in gusty weather.
I wear it in preference to my Akubra as it is so much cooler.
Cheers
Louis

Reactions: Stew

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
I've even looked at military boonies for a plain green or other single colour version. Not found anything so far. All common that I've seen.
I also have a massive bison head and Helikontex do a boonie hat that caters for us, the CPU Bush Hat in XL. It comes in a range of colours including plain green

Sent from underground

• Love
Reactions: sidpost

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
BTW they're all made in China. Just checked their website. It's right at the top of the specifications section, "made in China ".
Tilley founded in 1980 by Alex Tilley, was sold to Hilco Capital ( a British based international business restructuring company) in 2015, after Tilley's retirement. Then in 2018, Hilco sold Tilley Endurables Inc. to a Toronto-based investment firm, Gibraltar & Company.
All that just to say, the Tilleys of old are not the same as the Tilleys of new. ;)

Reactions: Crac

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
OK, then they've changed; mine says 'made in Canada' - it sound like they have reduced the quality and not long after I bought mine :(

However - I just checked, and the T3 Cotton hat (the original like mine) iswhat still made in Canada and it still says guaranteed for life! The Airflow models appear different; they say wash cold!
Just checked a bit more. Most wide and medium brimmed hats are made in China. So far I've seen one of the bucket hat models made in Canada. I got bored checking all the models of which there's a lot more than when I got mine. I reckon that they've got about 50 variations of which some are so close it could be down to a different supply of raw materials such as certified organic or recycled nylon.

I had heard that Tilley quality wasn't what it once was. Also, I read an online discussion where ppl wondered if lifetime guarantee was ending or being reduced in some way. They now wrote about the lifetime guarantee "where it applies" on the guarantee web page. Makes me wonder what they're taking it away from.

Quick point, the original Tilley hat is the bucket hat, I think T1 is the code. The family are or were sailing folk and they made hats to suit there needs. Only found out others had the same needs.

Interesting how the T3 and T3 wanderer are the same hat but the wanderer is aged or made to look used from new. Would you like that or prefer to age it yourself with the experiences that involves?

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Tilley founded in 1980 by Alex Tilley, was sold to Hilco Capital ( a British based international business restructuring company) in 2015, after Tilley's retirement. Then in 2018, Hilco sold Tilley Endurables Inc. to a Toronto-based investment firm, Gibraltar & Company.
All that just to say, the Tilleys of old are not the same as the Tilleys of new. ;)
Thanks for that clarification. They do seem to be sold in more shops these days, even the cheaper shops like go outdoors.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I also have a massive bison head and Helikontex do a boonie hat that caters for us, the CPU Bush Hat in XL. It comes in a range of colours including plain green

Sent from underground
Bison head?! Lol!

I'm deceptive in head size, most people think I've got a small head but when I used a Tilley measurement tape when I chose my Tilley I got the approximate imperial and metric size but they also had a descriptive hat size on the tape. Mine was "tres exceptionelle"!!!

My FiL showed me a Peruvian tribal hat kind of like a bowler my partner bought him. He bit be try it on but said it's probably too big on me. He was confused when it sat on my head like a joke party hat! He looks like he has a big head, I don't. 7 5/8 or 7 3/4 actually prefer 62cm of my brazillian tarp hat. I suspect being 196cm tall hides a big head a bit.

Reactions: gg012

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I've been working on my old Tilley. If it doesn't fit me then it mays no difference if I damage it trying to stretch it out to size, so I played around with it. I opened the crown pocket velcro and pulled on each side and end of the top. I pulled at the head band on all sides in turn. I pulled on the sides using my hands on the inside to push outwards.

The end result is I can wear it. I can't get the 2 fingers inside the band Tilley used to say was the right fit. It's a tight 1 finger. I would say it's one size under what I bought it as now. I'll give it another go but if not I'll probably try an OR Helios instead. Must admit the Tilley has a very soft inner head band against the forehead. I think if I can keep it stretched out like this it'll be comfortable in the heat when I'm sweating.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If it’s convenient, would you mind measuring the brim width please? I’ve had a scout around and can’t see a measurement for it. Thanks!
7cm from crown to brim Stew - is that the measurement you wanted? Happy to photograph it for you if you like?

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Are the rogue hats warm? They look a bit like canvas like Brazilian tarp hats. I have one of those tarp hats and it's very hot and sweaty.

Retrying my Tilley, now it's just about big enough again, it feels cooper and able to move sweat away. My tarp hat simply seems to keep the sweat against your skin and it feels uncomfortable.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Are the rogue hats warm? They look a bit like canvas like Brazilian tarp hats. I have one of those tarp hats and it's very hot and sweaty.

Retrying my Tilley, now it's just about big enough again, it feels cooper and able to move sweat away. My tarp hat simply seems to keep the sweat against your skin and it feels uncomfortable.
sorry never had a Tarp hat to compare to

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

Mine isn't, it's pleasantly cool and shady

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I know you don't want to talk about Tilley, but could you expand on this a little please? My Tilley (now 19 years old!) has been washed several times and never shrunk, it says it's guaranteed not to shrink on the label, and it has a lifetime guarantee. Are new Tilleys different? Do they no longer offer the same guarantee? And, are they no longer made in Canada? If I lost mine I'd go and buy another (if they are still made of the same quality) - oh, but I wouldn't need to, it's insured against loss apparently (no idea how they would do that, I've long since lost the receipt!).

The lifetime guarantee was dropped about 5 years ago (maybe longer), I wanted a replacement and when I contacted them they said it had changed (this was for an airflow one), the woman still gave me one for half price but that was because she was being nice, not because it was covered by the guarantee...

• Sad
Reactions: Broch

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Another one gone to the dogs then, glad to say both of my Tilleys are "fait en Canada"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE