Hassle when out

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
i had an incounter the other day, i was in a conifer plantation busy trying to collect some fatwood from some old pine stumps. i heard a crack if a branch but thought nothing of it but then saw a flick of a red jacket out of the corner of my eye. it was some chavs i think (it was dark in plantation) and they were trying to sneek up on me. my god are they stupid lol, so obvios running and crouching behind trees. i didnt want to hang around being 3 or 4 of them probably my aged too. i just quickly hid my mora and left.

if it is night i find i usualy have the upper hand thow:) no matter how 'hard' they say they are they are easyly scared in the dark. i was on a night time wander when i was spotter walking through a feild and was greeted with a usual 'OI!'. i got my firesteel and scraped it as hard as i could and sent a huge shower of sparks. i was wearing my sas smock with the hood up and i think it must have lit me up like a figger of the grim reeper! and they ran for it:D

pete

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I must be pretty lucky or like Barn Owl said the youngsters I have met in the woods, even those with the bottles and cans have never gave me a moments strife. I've met a few it's fair to say and I always say hello and smile, maybe even wander over to them and ask some chatty questions and usually find a decent response. Maybe we breed them different up here Tom eh? Mind you I usually have my knife on my belt and my Martindale and hatchet close by but I don't think that has anything to do with it. Only concerning time was with my buddy but it was quite close to a local housing estate mind you, when a couple of young lads were mouthing off at my mate sitting brewing up on a little gas stove. This little ned brought out of his pocket one of those butterfly knife thingies and started flicking it in an out. I wandered over, they obviously hadn't seen me and said Oh that's a cute little nail cleaner you got there and suggested to my mate that he show them his, and in a "that's not a knife"type style my mate reaches into his pack and pulled out his 10" blade bowie. The boys did'nt wait for their cuppa can't understand why!!!

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
We had a little 'altercation' earlier this year at the Pen-Y-Ffan site with some 'challenging' youngsters. It invloved (in no particular order) loud music, swearing, broken glass, irresponsible behaviour, confrontation, measured response, aggression, verbal baiting, physical attack, police intervention, arrest, caution, fingerprints taken, re-arrest for previous unsolved crimes and that was just the Sunday morning! Myself and Dougster saw them off but there are more details in the 'South Wales Meet' thread.

Sufficed to say, they won't be messing with Bushcrafters again!;)

ranger

Forager
Nov 3, 2003
South East
Never bushcrafting, but once whilst shooting a chap threatened to set his two German Shepherds on me. He hated people shooting and was very aggressive in his opinions. I pointed out that he was trespassing and that I had the permission of the land owner to be on the land, but the situation was all rather nasty and intimidating.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
Speaking as a landowner:

My wife and I own 52 acres on this isolated pond:

IMG_1444.jpg

We seem to encounter two sorts of people, at opposite ends of the spectrum, and none in between. First are the kindred spirits who appreciate the beauty of the place and leave it as they found it. Second are the kids who build bonfires and break bottles. Here in the US we could post "No trespassing" signs, but we don't want to blight the scenery with them, or prevent the respectful sorts from enjoying the area. And I doubt the problem kids would obey the signs anyway.

I've had all sorts of encounters, from making new friends to being told to leave my own land. I have to say that most of them are positive, though. And folks are universally polite once they notice that I have a pistol on my hip and/or a rifle over my shoulder and/or a very large dog along.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
considering the proportion of ex military and the fact that we are acustomed to knife work and even firearms you would think that word would get around wouldn't you. :)

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
considering the proportion of ex military and the fact that we are acustomed to knife work and even firearms you would think that word would get around wouldn't you. :)

Too right brother, still, if they had even borderline intelligence they would'nt put themselves in that situation. White shell suits get muddy really easy!

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
We had a little 'altercation' earlier this year at the Pen-Y-Ffan site with some 'challenging' youngsters. It invloved (in no particular order) loud music, swearing, broken glass, irresponsible behaviour, confrontation, measured response, aggression, verbal baiting, physical attack, police intervention, arrest, caution, fingerprints taken, re-arrest for previous unsolved crimes and that was just the Sunday morning! Myself and Dougster saw them off but there are more details in the 'South Wales Meet' thread.

Sufficed to say, they won't be messing with Bushcrafters again!;)

To be fair mate, you did the seeing off, I was a bit of a pansy. All good fun though.

I'll hide behind you next time.....

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I do feel sorry for young people generally. Because of the behaviour of some, they are all tarred with the same brush.

That's the problem, the discrepancy between those nice kids who work hard and achieve mind boggling things and the self centred chav is huge and growing, but the nice kids are so busy doing stuff for others we only see the scum out causing grief.

The most irritating bit is that the really nice kids will end up supporting the kids that made their lives a misery in school by paying their benefits and the support of their myriad kids.

Still in the end the nice kids will win the day, I'm still sure of that.

I'm only one of the faceless in the middle and I'm just looking for my bit of the Highlands to hide in.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Worst hassle I have had/have is a enduro enthusiast local to some of my favourite woods. He's very elusive though, I have yet to face him. Keeps ruining my sleep when I'm camping there, have heard him in january (20 degrees below), may (been raining for 7 days straight), october (uh, clear nice weather). He seems to be out every night I sleep there. I wish I could say it was all in my head, but three different persons has heard him at different occasions. Strange, huh? He ruined one of my moose safaris too.

Although on the count on of what some of you guys have been through, it is pretty mild :eek:

Usually when you meet folks out in the woods, it's like tor helge describes, you greet each other and continue on your way. If you stumble into somebodys camp you are usually offered coffee.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
I know you DONT really want to do this, and as a biker, its a bit scary to read this :tapedshut

string works, we used to rig string or cotton chokers when we wanted a good nights sleep as troops rarely go through the full ghost walk wavy stick routine so it comes as a shock to run into something and they invariably made noise about it :)

invisible thread or fine fishing line works in the same way when you want to protect your sleeping zone from cheeky scouts, they think they've hit a cobweb so jump about a bit and spoil the surprise. I also used to take the noisemakers out of birthday cards and use them as trip mines to scare them off.

I know what you mean about bikers. a girl I used to know got caught wearing an open face helmet by line and hooks on a country road near york back in the 80's. lucky for her she was little and it caught her helmet. another lad nearly had his face ripped off.

anyway if he's in the full enduro rig then going over the bars will be good practise ;)

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I know you DONT really want to do this, and as a biker, its a bit scary to read this :tapedshut
I saw bikers going at god knows what speed down a nice wooded path in a park once with blind corners. It was strictly "no biking" not only was I there with my friends, but lots of families, pushchairs with babies in and people walking dogs were having to leap out of the way aswell. The irritating part was they werent just teenage yobs they had helmets and bikers racing leathers on.
Surely you wouldn't mind seeing these types of bikers meet an unfortunate end before they send someone else off to meet theirs ? :)

Spikey DaPikey

Feb 8, 2006
North West, near the land of the Pies
I dont really wanna see anyone come to a early end, and of there tearing around the woods, they will come to there own end.

Thing is, if people start stringing lines across a wood, where will they stop ? Besides, they may also get a family out for a ride on there mountain bikes. Lines are like a snare, they dont care who or what thay catch.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I dont really wanna see anyone come to a early end, and of there tearing around the woods, they will come to there own end.

Thing is, if people start stringing lines across a wood, where will they stop ? Besides, they may also get a family out for a ride on there mountain bikes. Lines are like a snare, they dont care who or what thay catch.

Well i dont condone violence, I wouldnt put a string up, youd just as likely get a cyclist or someone tall like T1ch!
The sad thing is the police can't be bothered doing anything in these cases and it has the potential to kill several people in one fell swoop.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE