Hassle when out

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
Super glue, penny and car locks comes to mind:lmao:

LOL, i admit it, i thought about letting the air out the tyres but there is a line of getting mildly comical revenge and just being nasty. Avoiding coming down to the level of the types you dislike can be harder than it seems.

J

Jimcatt

LOL, i admit it, i thought about letting the air out the tyres but there is a line of getting mildly comical revenge and just being nasty. Avoiding coming down to the level of the types you dislike can be harder than it seems.
:swordfigh
Revenge is sweet, but generally just escalates the problem, always better to walk away with that smug feeling of superiority in the ethics of getting along with the wild life be it two or four legged......

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
There is also the practical matter that you want them to be able to leave as swiftly as possible. Flat tyres tends to hinder departure.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
There was a time when out with a mate, it was getting late about 1 am we were sitting around the fire, it was dry and warm. The moon was just coming over the hill which lit up the entire glen. Sitting there talking cack as you do, when I thought I heard a voice over by the old dirt track. Mate kept on blathering on, so I 'shh'd' him,
"what?" he says.
I reply, "Shhh!"
"What is it?!" he asks again,
"Will you shut it!" eventually he gets the message and goes quiet for about 5 seconds. I explain that I heard a voice maybe two over 'there'. He says I'm talkin bull. After a bit of him listening he goes very still, a sure sign that he's no heard something too. He says he can. So we sit there like scared rabbits listen to a conversation we can only just hear, we can't make it out properly, only bits of words. Various thoughts going through our minds. Who is out there at this time of night. What are they doing? Are they coming here, to our camp. Can they see our fire and if they can't what's wrong with their eyes?

So after what felt like an eternity, my mate realises it's not voices at all, not in the real sense, it was in fact a well known phenomenon. I'll give a hearty slap on the back to anyone who can tell me what it was.

Nag.

P.S. If someone did encroach you camp site, how about something like a mega phone, a recording of a really big dog / wolfy thing and have a few lines tied to trees and bushes about the place.. Play the tape and pull the lines.. :D
I doubt it would actually work of course, but if it did, it would be priceless.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
how about gathering some creepy crawlies to shove in the tent before the supergluing? hehehe

J

Jimcatt

how about gathering some creepy crawlies to shove in the tent before the supergluing? hehehe

I remember as a kid, revenge was collecting fire ants and relocating them to the much loved teachers tent.:1244:

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
There was a time when out with a mate, it was getting late about 1 am we were sitting around the fire, it was dry and warm. The moon was just coming over the hill which lit up the entire glen. Sitting there talking cack as you do, when I thought I heard a voice over by the old dirt track. Mate kept on blathering on, so I 'shh'd' him,
"what?" he says.
I reply, "Shhh!"
"What is it?!" he asks again,
"Will you shut it!" eventually he gets the message and goes quiet for about 5 seconds. I explain that I heard a voice maybe two over 'there'. He says I'm talkin bull. After a bit of him listening he goes very still, a sure sign that he's no heard something too. He says he can. So we sit there like scared rabbits listen to a conversation we can only just hear, we can't make it out properly, only bits of words. Various thoughts going through our minds. Who is out there at this time of night. What are they doing? Are they coming here, to our camp. Can they see our fire and if they can't what's wrong with their eyes?

So after what felt like an eternity, my mate realises it's not voices at all, not in the real sense, it was in fact a well known phenomenon. I'll give a hearty slap on the back to anyone who can tell me what it was.

Nag.

P.S. If someone did encroach you camp site, how about something like a mega phone, a recording of a really big dog / wolfy thing and have a few lines tied to trees and bushes about the place.. Play the tape and pull the lines.. :D
I doubt it would actually work of course, but if it did, it would be priceless.

An echo? :)

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
was the 'babbling brook' a bit talkative that night? :lmao:

It's certainly was mate :35: We'd never heard anything like that before it was really something to hear. It genuinely sounded like to voices, one slightly deep voice the other a tad higher in pitch. It was very frustrating trying to hear the words, but they 'voices' dipped in volume.. :eek: Once we realised what it was we giggled like school kids and laughed at how we fooled ourselves.

Damn talkative burn kept me awake for a few hours too.. :lmao:

Nag.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
get the same thing on Dartmoor ;)... that and the wind through the grass / trees sounding like waves on a beach :D

the other sound is sheep munching grass,,, that regular crunch-crunch-crunch sounds just like footsteps around the tent in the dark :eek:

FoxyRick

Forager
Feb 11, 2007
Rossendale, England
I've had a few nasty experiences over the years, nothing really serious ever actually happened but got close to real nasty once or twice; far more on the streets but occasionally around the local countryside. And it's not just 'youths', the majority troublemakers around here are those old enough to go into the pubs, get drunk, then look for something to kick. The youths are quickly following though. There are plenty around who aren't like that, but as many that are.

I live somewhere where our local youths murdered an innocent girl not so long ago, for fun. A woman was raped a few hundred yards from my house several years ago; on the street! I don't think it's a unique place.

I used to teach in a big independent EBD school for 11-16 year olds. EBD=Emotional or Behavioral Difficulties. Did it for nine years! I eventually left because the management were far worse than the kids, but that's another story!

The school was, for a lot of them, the last step before a secure unit. Typically they had been excluded from every school they had ever attended (or not) and most had a record with the police.

During that time, I met a lot of kids including the real hard-cases (the easiest to deal with and maybe even get some respect from eventually), serious druggies, drug dealers, thieves, emotionally badly messed up, suicide attempters, mentally unstable, abused in one way or another, 'retarded' (not a PC term), true psychopaths (although doctors aren't allowed to say that about children!) , spoiled rotten and given everything they wanted (rarely) and those bullied into one of the aforementioned. Violence was a common trait. Quite a few ended up in prison within a year or so of leaving us, a few for murder (a couple were reported on the national news). Some improved and got jobs.

In the majority of cases they were from badly broken homes, were in care, or (probably the most) their parent(s) simply should not have been allowed to have children. I met quite a few of the parents; mostly they were only seen on the kid's pre-entry visit or on occasion when they had to collect the child from the local police! Not the sort of people I would associate with. No morals, usually no job, often drunk or drugged, many were career criminals (one was actually a real hit-man!)

No wonder the kids were what they were.

Thing is, is this a modern phenomenon? I think it is, for two reasons. And because of those reasons, I blame the kids the least, the parents a lot, and the government/society the most. The reasons...

1)

People being able to claim this, that and the other when they shouldn't. I used to live on a street (not council houses) where about 1 in 5 people didn't work regularly and yet had cars, better holidays then me, plasma TV's (when they were expensive), etc etc. Years ago most people like that would simply have starved to death on the street if they didn't get work. Now they can claim for just about everything going, sue a few people, take out some nice loans and get them written off, etc etc. Why bother working or having any responsibility???

2)

The law (not the police as such) seems to give such people protection from 'normal' people. Some kid starts getting nasty with you in the street? Years ago he would have got a slap, possibly from the local copper. Do that now and you'll be in court and sued out of everything you own before you can blink. Would that kid, years ago, do it again? Probably, but he would learn eventually. Might never be a nice person but at least most would probably learn not to be stupid. Today? You bet he would!

Many of the kids I knew at the school happily boasted about goading people into hitting them or similar. One stole a postman's bag and ran around the street ripping up letters until the postman managed to grab him. The kid immediately fell to the ground and 'injured' himself. He was on quite a nice payout for that and the posty got a record for assault. I even had one kid try it on me at the school; literally ran into me and tripped himself over, then started wailing that I'd pushed him! Little **!&"*!.

And what if his father came round to get nasty over the slap? He'd get one himself. Now that father would duff his kid up a lot more, then drive to the nearest solicitor, followed by the police. Truish story, expect the kid had injured himself at the school by banging his head against the wall deliberately! Then said staff had done it... The police eventually came to the correct conclusion, but it nearly cost a teacher his job and certainly made his life hell for a few months.

Thing is, there seems to be no end of people to feel sorry for these types, pander to them, and protect them. Why should they change?

/rant.

FoxyRick

Forager
Feb 11, 2007
Rossendale, England
the other sound is sheep munching grass,,, that regular crunch-crunch-crunch sounds just like footsteps around the tent in the dark :eek:

Actually, the scariest moment I had when inside a tent was when I was awoken by that Scrunching sound, right next to my head. I was backpacking the Pennine Way at the time. I'd never heard anything like it but I didn't like it and had no clue what it was! I was about 17 and had (still have) a very good imagination.

My sleeping bag was only partly zipped, so I grabbed a big knife I had, and almost ripped open the tent doors, bursting out stark naked with the knife in the air!

There, illuminated by the moonlight, was a cow; considering me calmly as it munched its mouthful of grass! :eek: :lmao:

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
It's certainly was mate :35: We'd never heard anything like that before it was really something to hear. It genuinely sounded like to voices, one slightly deep voice the other a tad higher in pitch. It was very frustrating trying to hear the words, but they 'voices' dipped in volume.. :eek: Once we realised what it was we giggled like school kids and laughed at how we fooled ourselves.

Damn talkative burn kept me awake for a few hours too.. :lmao:

Nag.

one of my most embarrasing army moments was up at otterburn when having good hearing I thought I'd heard talking and let the others know we snuck up to the nearest hiding point but the lay of the land, walls trees made it hard to pinpoint , we were doing an area search in 4 man bricks so we coordinated an rv and simulated an artillery/mortar barrage with the mfc. umpire turned up and let off a load of flares and pyros then 32 stormtroopers swooped down to assault the area around the wood. bangs burps splashes and chaos as we were trained to do assaulting through the position. nothing, nada, ,zilch.. as the smoke and fumes died down, we did an ammo/casualty check and our hearing came back we could hear the stream babbling away as if nothing had happened. I learnt a lesson and stood a lot of radio stag for the following few days as we'd assaulted through the stream and that was before goretex kicked in so our feel and clothes were soaked through. even more than normal for otterburn. :)

I also destroyed a german caravan club meet once as well - but I did have an excuse for that one ;)

noises in the night - german border forests are the king for that.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
Actually, the scariest moment I had when inside a tent was when I was awoken by that Scrunching sound, right next to my head. I was backpacking the Pennine Way at the time. I'd never heard anything like it but I didn't like it and had no clue what it was! I was about 17 and had (still have) a very good imagination.

My sleeping bag was only partly zipped, so I grabbed a big knife I had, and almost ripped open the tent doors, bursting out stark naked with the knife in the air!

There, illuminated by the moonlight, was a cow; considering me calmly as it munched its mouthful of grass! :eek: :lmao:

deer cooing to each other and stages rutting is fun, got woken on a scout site near whitby by a sheep licking my ear once before baaaing loudly and getting a punch in the face from me in reply.

when bivvying beetles in leaf litter scratching away plays tricks on the brain and every mouse sounds like an elephant. :)

fast but dim

Nomad
Nov 23, 2005
lancs
I know where you're coming from but sometimes it pays to aproach them with an offer of a seat by the fire a drink and smoke?

Start a conversation,let them talk rubbish for a while then they'll start to get interested maybe.
I've always found that if you engage youngsters like that then the need to show off recedes.

Maybe that's just in my airt though.I can get to places well out of the way.

well said!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE