Has Anyone found "THE" Knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
Lets face it, different knives work for different people, some would be far more comfortable unsing a bowie knife in the woods than a puukko. in my opinion The only "Real" way to find the best design for you is through trial and error.

Has anyone here found "THE" perfect bushcraft knife for them, the one that will do everything you need with ease and quenches the thirst for another blade related purchase. just like ray with his woodlore or mors with his mora.

Have you found yours?

ATB
Josh

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
yes i have the perfect knife for me infact two of them both made to what i wanted by alan wood hasn,t stopped me buying others though:lmao:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Lets face it, different knives work for different people, some would be far more comfortable unsing a bowie knife in the woods than a puukko. in my opinion The only "Real" way to find the best design for you is through trial and error.

Has anyone here found "THE" perfect bushcraft knife for them, the one that will do everything you need with ease and quenches the thirst for another blade related purchase. just like ray with his woodlore or mors with his mora.

Have you found yours?

ATB
Josh

If Ray found THE perfect knife with his Woodlore, then why is he carrying a slipjoint in his pocket? :lmao:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I think I'm settled on my Lance Ockenden light bushcrafter now. I won't be buying anymore sharps ever again. :lmao:

Tracer1969

Feb 11, 2009
Belgium
For the last 6 months the Tlim bushcrafter.
And all time favorite same as Chris the Cat: Skookum!
And hopefully at the end of the month the Blind Horse Knive Boat tail Scandi :)

You mean just one??????

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
V happy with my Bernie Garland bushcrafter - the knife's better than I am, so no point in getting sharps lust until I've got my skills together. And I wouldn't know where - if anywhere - to better a BG...

Jul 26, 2009
My Front Room
I have a humble Sheffield steel I made up for wifey. It is used every day in the kitchen, skins game from rabbit to deer and cuts stencils for the children. Cost £5 to buy the blade and almost nought in handleing.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
If Ray found THE perfect knife with his Woodlore, then why is he carrying a slipjoint in his pocket? :lmao:

Dunno bout you lot but if I were him I would use a different tool on every episode and flog em on my site, look at how many people are desperate to buy anything they see on the telly.

I bet he has a fair old chortle to himself about it when he pulls out something different on screen and thinks about the threads people will start as they look for it online;)

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com

Have you found yours?

ATB
Josh

No ...

I've got:

- Mora Clipper

- Alan Wood custom (combination between a Woodlore (handle) and a BB / Martyn designed blade) - honestly I haven't used it that much ... It's more a drawer queen. Shame? Maybe - but currently I see it as an investment, as it's a unique piece :) I might order another one some day :eek:

- Fallkniven F1 - beast! Shame about the grind ...

- Fallkniven WM1 look-a-like, custom jobbie by sc_barker, great little knife - currently my favourite

Search continious:

- Skookum on order ...

rawshak

Forager
Jan 11, 2009
Cornwall
I got my first knife in 1976 and have been collecting ever since. I'll never find the knife you speak of, as I have so many favorites for so many different reasons. In a collection of over 300 knives, I still don't have one that fulfills ALL of my needs in a knife. How could I? I would never try to baton a log with my favourite skinning knife.

I have favorite knives, suited to the task at hand, for example, I always take a cheap stainless knife (usually a mora), when I go to the beach as salt water is so unforgiving. I take a smaller knife (like my Fallkniven WM1), if I'm carrying an axe, where's the F1 is usually my choice if I'm only carrying one tool...

Wish I could say I had a favorite, but I'm just too fickle... :)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Took me ages and cost loads, with prototypes aplenty from Alan Wood and Stu Mitchell to get the design right, it's now perfect...

Stag in 01 for bushcrafting in northern woodlands

21Oct20095.jpg

21Oct20099.jpg

Carbon fibre and RWL-34 for more damp conditions and hotter climates

DSC03831.jpg

DevalBushcrafter4.jpg

Dec 9, 2008
N/Tyneside
I have a Wilkinson sword woodlore, Cold steel Master hunter, Mora, Pat Mitchell,
Charles May(USA), and even made couple myself and still don't think I have found the perfect knife,
Though out of the lot the Cold steel master hunter knife is the one I keep going back to most and was probably the cheapest out of the lot.
I have also had a knife made to my design from Lance Okenden (Driftwoodwalker) from BB though I have not really had a chance to test it yet through work commitments.

W

waldorf

Hi
Not been around for ages but here`s 2 that I really like Ben Orford Woodlander and a 2mm Bison knife. I nearly got rid of the Bison once:eek:...so glad I didn`t a really useful knife.
007-1.jpg

Havent actually bought another fixed knife for using since the Mora a couple of years ago :D

did buy a Helle-Bard for £30 but only cause it was an unusual model and i had one in the series already :rolleyes:

infact i rarely buy knives other than those 2 ive bought a couple of Svord Pesants just to play with and a cheap SPyderco just to have a look this year

then back in the 90's i got a SAK locker and a new Kukri :D

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I use this nearly all the time
Morakniv%20classic%201%20carbon%20sheath.jpg

I'm tempted to get one made but nearly the same as this as it's a fantastic knife. I've got a few nice knives and I've given loads away over the years and find myself coming back to this type or a plastic handled Mora

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
NeckKnife.JPG

Grohmanns Large Camper in stainless steel. I have bought other knives, more or less on whims to try them out but this is the one I use all the time. The only thing I would replace it with would be a custom copy if I had the money to burn more or less just because I like one off hand made things.

I've never had a problem with the steel as some seam to, or carving wood with it. I use it for everything, even all the cooking at home.

I would consider taking along the flat grind Grohmanns Survival Knife, top right

Grohmanns.JPG

If I knew I was going to be doing lots of hacking of wood but thats more my being lazy and not wanting to sharpen the large camper.

Each to their own.

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE