Has Anyone found "THE" Knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
Having used various Moras for a while I was hugely impressed by a free Opinel that came my way recently. I shall be acquiring more for certain purposes - mainly vegetables at which they are far superior.

Horses for courses really.

And neither are much good for carrying around everyday in the (UK) pocket are they ?

Richard

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
For me, the Fallkniven F1 is almost perfect. Feels great, cuts well, holds a great edge. Except that I don't like stainless knives with rubber handles. Ah well, I'll continue to use my perfect but ugly knife.

shaneh

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Colchester
I have used lots of knives over the years, Most cheap and inexpensive and some not so cheap, all have had different designs / blade lengths / handle material / folding blades / pocket / sheath / machete, I haven’t found one that’s perfect, till about a year ago..

I have been using a Bayleyknife the "S4 Survival series knife" without the serrated edge (cant see the point) I had it specially made without bear grylls signature on the blade.... Using it for the first time was heart rendering, but after that first cut...

Its perfect, well balanced, all round a work of art, and was designed for the job.

When I go out I carry this, a Leatherman Wave, Gransfors Wildlife Hatchet and a Laplander Folding Saw. There hasn’t been a job I haven’t been able to complete, so far!

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I have a big box full of knives. Some expensive, some cheap.
I use a Wilkinson Woodlore a lot (mainly with the scouts, as having "Ray Mears" on the blade reassures parents that I'm not going to go postal), For a long time my favorite was a Svord Drop point (which is the sharpest knife I have ever handled out of the box)
I have had others, and I tend to rotate, a knife will come out for a while and be used, only to be replaced by another next trip. Like Leon and Tony, I quite like the Mora Classic (sometimes referred to as a "red handled mora" ) but the sheath annoys me, maybe I'll make one one day...
I have a variety of Khukris, Lekkus, Pukkos, Gauchos, etc, but I usually go back to the Woodie or the Svord.
Is there a perfect all round knife?
No. Any design has compromises, no blade is master of all tasks.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If I had to choose one knife to use for the rest of my life it would be one of the Moras - a Jonsson (like the Frost Classic) but which I have rehandled and made a leather sheath for myself.
These are suprisingly popular and I sell a good few per year among the knives I handle/rehandle and sell.
I realy dislike the handle and sheath that they come with - but the blades are supurb!

W

waldorf

If I ever get a readymade bushie, it'll be one by that Ben Orford bloke :) That looks dead handy - What's the wood on the handle Waldorf?

Its Yew mate, he also does some nice reindeer horn

002-1.jpg

Cheers

Omegarod

Forager
Dec 3, 2009
Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire
For bushcraft I have settled on just one knife. (Yep, like many of us I have a large collection of knives, and some of them obscenely expensive customs).

finlandknife1.jpg

finlandknife2.jpg

Made by Harri Merimaa of Finland, and cost a reasonable £48 a few years back. (same price today). Its a high carbon steel, 9cm (3-1/2") blade, and a chunky formed handle that fits the hand and forefinger really well. Handle is of Masur Birch and reindeer bone. Comes with a nice sheath.

It will do anything I ask of it.

Rod

Last edited:

mclark

Forager
Dec 29, 2009
sitting under a tree
i have a massive amount of knives , some that i used in the army and some i brought just for bushcraft but this is my new one , it sure feels like the "one "now out of my whole collection
BfF2RdmkKGrHqMH-EMErfRkEMdNBLfNj5qg.jpg

Last edited:

mclark

Forager
Dec 29, 2009
sitting under a tree
i no i might get alot of s**t for this but its a james noble i got it off the net before i did any research on him and found out what he has been doing but it dont seem like a bad knife at the moment and i think its about 9.5 inches over all

Last edited:

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
mora stainless steel clipper for preparing food and fishing as well as general cutting of stuff and wood carving. svord peasant for UK legal carry everyday use and woodcarving.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE