Has anyone checked if sap is rising?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dan J

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2012
Ludlow
I tapped some birch trees a couple of years back, think it was about half way through march. Normally the sap is in flow before there are any signs on the outside. Might be worth trying now. Just break the end off a twig and if a drop of clear sap appears you're good to go.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Oh God! It's that time of year again. Essentially the bushcraft equivalent of everyone banging on about pancake day on facebook.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Oh God! It's that time of year again. Essentially the bushcraft equivalent of everyone banging on about pancake day on facebook.

Pancake in your single malt, you might be on to something there :)

Checked today, nerp. I would expect a good month yet, but curiosity got the better of me.

Last edited:

Dan J

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2012
Ludlow
Checked a birch tree today and it doesn't seem to be rising.:( i'm in south shropshire so i guess that in south wales it would be the same for you, unless its a bit warmer where you are.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Well, set my bottle up & left for an hour

60d66e31.jpg

dae97512.jpg

Came back to find about an eggcup full. Drank it & was a bit disappointed - perhaps I need more & should distill it down. Quite refreshing, though

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
Get in! That's great news Spandit, I'm camping up at Broadstone with my Explorer Scouts this weekend. I was hoping I'd have a chance to collect some, looks like I will!

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
If I'd been more prepared I would have taken a small plastic bottle and tied it around the tree - less valuable then (not that my £-shop bottle is worth much more, but the net I'd made took a while and I'm used to having it around now!)

I'll set some more up and leave for a few days to see what I can collect

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
I'll be tapping birch and maple, I'm not really sure about field maple? I think field maple is the tree with dirty bark and smaller leaves than sycamore...anyway birch you couldn't ever mistake...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE