Hand line advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tomongoose

Nomad
Oct 11, 2010
Plymouth
Hello,

I know you can only use a rod and line inland in the uk but I want to make one for a survival kit that won't be used until after the break down of society and the law :)

I have not been fishing since I was a kid and don't intend to start any time soon but with an abundance of lakes and rivers nearby it seems like like a sensible bit of kit to have.

I am going to make a hobo line on a wooden reel and I would like a few bits of advice

is it worth making a long line with several hooks or just the one?
and what sort of poundage should the line be.
And is it better to use lures or baits in small streams and ponds?
Thanks

redsalmon

Jun 12, 2010
divot
thoughts for end of civilisation survival fishing --

fish like bait and it's easier to find as needed, worms in the hills, mussels on the shore; good all round bait for catching something big enough is small fish (eg minnows) and you can net, hook or trap these as needed.

chuck in a couple of simple lures though for sea and loch (on a hand line it'll be difficult to get these to work well in a river)

you're rig needs to be flexible to target the fish available so combine line size and hooks as needed. also good to have kit that's generally multi purpose. also good to remember that you'll lose line and hooks

so i'd have 3 lengths of diff sized line --

50 mtrs of braided 25lb strength line (the main casting line, braided line is thin and very strong (less bulk/weight, unlikely to lose it in a snag or big fish), but costly to buy)
25 mtrs of 10lb nylon monofil (this + below can be used as traces (ie hooked and tied to braid in 1m lengths) for bigger fish)
25 mtrs of 6lb nylon monofil (thin enough to catch smaller fish and take small hooks - eg trout, minnow)

1 spindle for the braid.

I'd be tempted to put in some wire traces for pike, to stop them biting through line, and wire and braid line can double for animal snares (v nasty though if not a survival situation)

hooks --
small -> large + treble hooks (for 'snagging' fish)

take a look at otter boards -- http://www.bushcraftstuff.com/fishing/the-otter-board/ you could probly make one of these in the field, or chuck in a balloon (or condom), great for windy loch fishing when you can't cast far enough out and multipurpose. generally i'd look for flexibility so i'd take a multipurpose tackle kit rather than a pre-tied set line that's only suitable for one situation.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE