Ugly stik rod?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
E

edwred

Ive recently purchased a 10ft, 10-60g travel rod as i believed it would cover all disciplines and i could catch in ponds, rivers and the sea.
i got it because i want to uselighter lures, but the rod is quite stiff and i am thinking about returning it and instead opting for an ugly stik. i have watched vids on how durable these things are and they look sick.
i have a 4000 size reel with 10lb mono for freshwater fishing or light sea work and a 5000 baitrunner for heavy sea work.
i want to fish dropshots, small tobies and other lures for trout and perch, such as senkos.
i also want to be able to catch pollock, bass, flounder, mackerel, cod and whiting on feathers, light ledgers or lures.
Is the ugly stik range right for me? if so, which one should i get.
i fish from the shore in the north east of england

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
You seem to be trying to get one rod when you need two or three. A rod that casts 10g lures well isn't going to be able to cast a string of feathers with a 50g weight or handle well with a 5000 reel and visa versa.

E

edwred

well i mean i could use my carp rod for the 5000 reel, but the reviews ive seen of ugly sticks are that they are really durable and versatile- people use them from tiny perch to big cod, on the same rod.

Reactions: Poacherman
E

edwred

i do already have a 10-60g rod that handles feathering well.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Isn't Ugly Stik a brand name for a range of rods, from light lure rods to deep sea rods?

I would doubt very much that the rod you use on a small river or pond for tiny Perch would also be appropriate for big Cod.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
I’ve no affiliation to but I’ve a ultimate infinity rod by, Rigged n Ready and that will cover most of your needs, check out their web site and see for yourself.

Reactions: plastic-ninja

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I’ve no affiliation to but I’ve an ultimate infinity rod by, Rigged n Ready and that will cover most of your needs, check out their web site and see for yourself.
Plus one for Rigged & Ready here in Kendal. They are keen fishers themselves & will be happy to give you any advice you need.

E

edwred

i suppose it is, but it is just far, far too expensive for me. the ugly stik looks good becuas its quite cheap and extremely durable

Reactions: Poacherman

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
Ive recently purchased a 10ft, 10-60g travel rod as i believed it would cover all disciplines and i could catch in ponds, rivers and the sea.
i got it because i want to uselighter lures, but the rod is quite stiff and i am thinking about returning it and instead opting for an ugly stik. i have watched vids on how durable these things are and they look sick.
i have a 4000 size reel with 10lb mono for freshwater fishing or light sea work and a 5000 baitrunner for heavy sea work.
i want to fish dropshots, small tobies and other lures for trout and perch, such as senkos.
i also want to be able to catch pollock, bass, flounder, mackerel, cod and whiting on feathers, light ledgers or lures.
Is the ugly stik range right for me? if so, which one should i get.
i fish from the shore in the north east of england
Ugly sticks by Shakespeare the Americanized brand are very good rods mate indestructible. Get 2 rods use a lighter rod for lighter lures and a ugly stick ,u can make do with a ugly stik singly though no problem.

Reactions: edwred

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
Isn't Ugly Stik a brand name for a range of rods, from light lure rods to deep sea rods?

I would doubt very much that the rod you use on a small river or pond for tiny Perch would also be appropriate for big Cod.
It's American version off shakespeare.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
It's American version off shakespeare.
Ugly Stik is a wholly owned subsidiary of Shakespeare, who in turn are owned by Pure Fishing Inc. The Ugly Stik brand was introduced to market by Shakespeare in the mid 1970's.

Reactions: edwred
E

edwred

What lures or rigs or techniques could I use for trout in rivers OR perch in ponds with lures to use with the ugly stick (as in above 15g)

Sent from my Nokia 4.2 using Tapatalk

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
If it was me I would be looking at buying a few rods on the second hand market rather than trying to find a one size fits all solution. You can pick up a really good beach caster as a starting point cheaply enough

E

edwred

I'd be fine with any cheap durable spinning rod 15g + so ugly stick looks ideal - you can get perch lures IE shads with jughead's or senkos or dropshot or use Tobie's for trout as far as I know

Sent from my Nokia 4.2 using Tapatalk

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
What I will say is that I have a couple of smuggler rods and they’re not really much use compared to their ordinary two or three piece counterparts.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE