Hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
I dont know if this is the correct place to put this question so mods please move it accordingly.

I have been for many years during forces service and through a huge love of carp fishing a ground dweller.
Recently ive been reading that guys who struggle sleeping get a better nights sleep in a hammock than they do a bed.

I suffer from insomnia in a big way and if a hammock is a good way to sleep then i should try it just on the off chance it may help.

The thing is i dont have a lot of cash so im wondering if anyone has a spare hammock they would loan me for a short while?

Im not expecting charity and i understand the internets a place to be easily ripped off so im willing to put somthing up as guarante

Sorry if out of order with forum rules

RobeKinn

Aug 8, 2008
Edinburgh
you can buy a new DD hammock for 22 quid or cheaper on evil bay, as good as any, just shoot wood pigeons and live off them for a couple weeks, delicious

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Hey SW,
I understand your insomnia, it aint pleasant is it, mine stems from years of wierd shifts.
I do get some good sleep in a hammock, but it does take a while to find what is comfortable and what "works" for you.
Risk has some great ideas on http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm
or even Dave Canterbury's wool blanket hammock somewhere in "Wildernessoutfittersarchery.com".
Sorry I can't help with any material assistance, but I will be posting some ideas and modifications I've done to my "Ogri-pod" hammock insulation for cold weather hammocking.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Lodian

Nomad
May 23, 2007
Peterhead, Aberdeenshire
Hi still,

Look i might be able to give you my dd hammock for a month or so if thats long enough,
I don't want a guarantee or nothing like that but if you could give me your phone number etc in pm's.

Im sure i can help you out.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
hi still
the best thing to do is by your self a DD hammock Because then if you dont like it i am sure there would be someone on here who would buy it of you also if you are going to go winter camping you will need a decent sleeping bag and an underblanket.

what an underblanket is, is a blanket which gets slung underneath your hammock and then when you get in to your hammock doesn't get crushed so does not loose insulating properties.

just my humble opinions and advice stake them as such

all the best with curing the insomnia

drew

In Wood

Nomad
Oct 15, 2006
Leyland, Lancashire.
Hi Still

I have a spare one you can borrow if you would like.
It is the older model DD with mozzy net, in mint condition so if you like it let me know and we can come to an arrangement.
Drop me your details on PM and we will sort out getting it to you.

Hope this helps you out.

Aug 31, 2008
Stratford upon Avon
Hi Still,

I too spent years in forces sleeping badly and i brought a DD hammock last year. After 6 outtings i have final got comfortable and the golden rules are

1. try and sleep off centre to hammock otheriwse the blood runs to your head and this wakes you up
2. don't by one with a zip up mozzie net, if you fallout in the night you end up in the sleeping bag upside down in the net! ( you may klaugh but i have doen this twice!)
3. Make sure the sleeping bag you have is zipped the same side as the hammock if its got a net?
4. The first night is always rough and you sleep better on the second?

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
Wow you guys are great

Im going to decline your kind offers for the moment as i dont have enough cash to cover postage costs for recieving and sending back of a hammock but thank you very much indeed to all those that have offerd.

I think i will buy a dd one when i have some spare cash and if it doesent work for me then i will trade it on.

I wonder how many ex service personell have trouble with insomnia?
Mines god damm awfull and medication when they will prescribe it doesent really help

Once again thanks for all your kind offers

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I sleep so much better outdoors than in and have never had a better nights sleep than in my hammock my bones are to old to sleep on the ground,

Jan 22, 2006
uk
i found black out curtains and earplugs sent me from 2-4hrs a night to 8hrs at the bottom of the ocean.
Plus if there is anything on your mind - deal with it as soon as the time is right.
My wife also suffers with very poor sleep. We stayed in a hotel room with blackout curtains the other day and she had the same experience.
Well worth a try - they're dead cheap. Sorry its off topic - kind of important though.
cheers

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
If you look in the DIY section on the front page of the site, there is a "how to" explaining how to make a Thai Hammock (its the same as a DD). They are really easy to make, only about 45 minutes to make and you can use any cheap material.
Hope that helps
Neil

eem

May 28, 2008
solihull
off topic again but - strange as it may seem, using lavander oil in a burner helped me relax and drop off when i was stressed with exam pressure and woman trouble many years ago.

also getting rid of said woman helped as well.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I`ve got a spare single layer ripstop nylon hammock which only weighs about 100g, postage would only be a couple of quid. If you need tapes and crabs aswell I can do that aswell but that will bump up the postage.

Let me know if you`re interested

Rich

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE