Net or no net Hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 20, 2022
West Cornwall
Hi folks, I am happily camping overnighters in a cheap decathlon simple hammock and a DD tarp overhead. Fancy upgrading the hammock to double layer to take a roll mat, etc. Can't say I've been hassled by insects, with the exception of moths, so not sure to get a DD simple camping hammock, with potential and optional mozzy net, or just get the Frontline hammock. The integral net seems to put me off the attraction of hammock camping, the freedom and openness. Also, anyone feel a bit stuck inside the net, like if you hear something and want to react quickly? or am I overthinking this? cheers bush people .

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Looks like the Frontline will let you lift the net up on both sides, so you can still stick your head up quick to check if the thing you here in the brush is a rare Cornish grizzly bear, or an ambitious hedgehog!

I have had four hammocks so far and by far have liked the ones where I can unzip the net from one or both sides. Didn't much like the one with no net. Not only does a net keep you warmer, but it tends to give the hammock more shape and keeps out bugs that you may not have noticed earlier. I started with a Hennessey with bottom only entry, no removeable net and that had definite disadvantages.

Reactions: Baron Von Scheele

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I never use the net on my hammock; if I'm worried about insects then I'll put a natural repellent on my face and arms. It's worked all the time I've been hammocking.

The whole idea of hammocking is to be 'outside' rather than shut in; the net spoils that for me.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
The DD will let you unzip the mossy net , how else do you get it! It can be very easy to set the net well above the head so it is well out of the way of the face. I would never consider a hammock without a built in net any more. Get in zip up, sleep, not shut in, wake up, still not shut is but unzip if you wish. Best of both if you ask me.

Aug 20, 2022
West Cornwall
I never use the net on my hammock; if I'm worried about insects then I'll put a natural repellent on my face and arms. It's worked all the time I've been hammocking.

The whole idea of hammocking is to be 'outside' rather than shut in; the net spoils that for me.
this is precisely what I'm thinking. I really like the freedom of just being in an open hammock. I guess that might change if a cloud of midges turn up. so far so good

Aug 20, 2022
West Cornwall
The DD will let you unzip the mossy net , how else do you get it! It can be very easy to set the net well above the head so it is well out of the way of the face. I would never consider a hammock without a built in net any more. Get in zip up, sleep, not shut in, wake up, still not shut is but unzip if you wish. Best of both if you ask me.
yeah I can see you can fold it up above you, or have one side unzipped. I suppose I just really like the minimalism of open hammocks, but I am relatively inexperienced camping in them.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
The answer is to eschew the mass production DD offering and support one of our members here….

double layer with a net that can completely pack away at he foot end.

In the UK I have had few camps where mosquitoes were a problem, but the midges in Scotland made me glad to have a net. I have tended to use my hammock when travelling overseas and the net has been a must in Sweden, Norway and some other spots. Camp in the right place at the right time and the net isn’t needed. Would still prefer the option of it than not.

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
A net is a definite plus- if you've been lucky with insects so far then good for you. But all it takes is one night of being eaten to death to realise how useful they are. Get one that can be unzipped and folded back, then you have the best of both worlds.
Oh, and go for the longest hammock you can get!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE