Hammock or bivibag witch is better with a tarp ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
right so im thinking of ditching the tent for a hammock or bivibag and tarp and not sure with is better so thought i would ask for your opinions on each and what you use and what you think the benifits/disadvantage's are.

maybe a moderator or admin can make this a poll i couldent see how thanks :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I suppose it depends on where you're planning to camp. For comfort I prefer a hammock all day long but if there's no suitable trees where I'm going then I don't mind using the bivvy.

For a quick stealthy overnighter then sometimes the bivvy is a better option.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hammock all the time went out last night with some mates cant beat it regards dave

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
You need both so you've the choice anyway.

As has been said the hammock is soooo comfy.

But if i'm tired or drunk I can sleep anywhich way.

tomongoose

Nomad
Oct 11, 2010
Plymouth
I prefer a bivi, I can't personally see a lot of point in a hammock outside of the tropics, but then I mainly camp on the moors and there are not many trees about :)

Extreme Pilgrim

Forager
Aug 27, 2010
UK
Hammocking is the way forward Karl. A well sited tarp can offer just as much protection as a tent but allows you to fell more at one with your surroundings.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Surprised no ones considered insects as a reason for hammocks.
nothing worse than being woken by ants on your face...ugh it's happened a few times.

If I had to choose:

hammock, generally for warmer weather when insects are about.

Bivi bag generally for cooler and or windy weather when you're more likely to be cold or wet.

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
but then again what you could do is save your self the trouble of this question and buy the dd travel hammock which u can use as both a bivi on the ground or a hammock among the trees

I'm quite sure the Green Hornet Jungle Hammock from Tenth Wonder on Ebay can be set up as a bivvy too, I have one but have not tried it like that yet, great hammock thought.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
I've read posts mentioning condensation in the Travel hammocks, are they that bad as I would like one for the coming Spring?

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Why not get both options. A bivvy for where no trees and a hammock for where there are and you can have both ideals sorted. Bear in mind a lot of compromise options end up with not having the best of both. That also goes for what you do and your gear. If you get the travel hammock I would always wondr if it is a compromise. It is likely to work well as a hammock but perhaps there is a better option for a bivvy. If it was my choice I would prefer a hammock for hammocking and a purpose designed bivvy for bivvying. Even a cheapo one like Rab survival zone will be better than the travel hammock I reckon. The you can pick the best option for the location.

Bear in mind a tarp used for a hammock can also be used for a bivvy too. So that only leaves the hammock and the bivvy bag for the two options. I think the bivvy bag and tarp is a cheaper option too. I only have a bivvy and tarp because I go iunto the hills and there are never any trees where I want to camp. IF you are down south then I suspect this is not the case unless you are in DArtmoor or the like.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE