Transporting canoes / kayaks in a van with poptop roof?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I'm looking for realistic solutions to transport canoes or kayaks when your camper has a pop top roof that can't take a load such as roof bars with canoes. SWB Vauxhall Vivaro so nothing can fit inside.

I thinking trailer is the only option. We have towbar with electrics but no trailer. What trailer would be good?

I've got an old whitewater kayak, shortish one and a perception dancer clone that's 3m or so long. I'm thinking I might like a new touring kayak or a canoe so I don't think a halfords special trailer will suit.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
My (shortish) trailer has a drop down rear and a removable front panel so the canoe sits in the trailer sticking out both ends. I have extended the tow bar using 50mm section - mainly to carry 4.8m lengths of wood but it makes the canoe (5m) fit easier as well.

Reactions: plastic-ninja

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
My friend had a Point 65 modular kayak/ sit on top thingo. Was in 3 sections, could use 2 for 1 person or 3 sections for 2 people.
Fitted into her VW camper.
I have a Pakboat skin on frame that folds down into a rucksack.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
My friend had a Point 65 modular kayak/ sit on top thingo. Was in 3 sections, could use 2 for 1 person or 3 sections for 2 people.
Fitted into her VW camper.
I have a Pakboat skin on frame that folds down into a rucksack.
They both look interesting. Which models and where did you and your friend get them from?

Have you tried your friends point 65? What's the cockpit space like? I'm 6'5" tall and in the past when I was last looking at kayaks not many fitted me.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
What type of pop top is it?

I had a skyline pop top on my transporter. Uprated gas struts and fitted low profile roof bars would do the trick?

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Since I got my partial conversion s few years ago on the newer model there weren't many producers for the van model. One very expensive VW scene brand or a Yorkshire based manufacturer for reasonable price with an only just designed product. In fact my roof had a delay because the mould had an issue and needed a rebuild after the roof that was to be mine came off.

Anyway that brand can't take roof bars. I think I'm limited to trailer or compact solution inside the van.

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
They both look interesting. Which models and where did you and your friend get them from?

Have you tried your friends point 65? What's the cockpit space like? I'm 6'5" tall and in the past when I was last looking at kayaks not many fitted me.
I have the Pakboat Puffin Saranak

Sorry I didn't ever paddle her one.
Mine is a Pakboat Puffin Saranac.
A very capable craft, have been down weirs loaded with camping kit. Handles much better loaded as not so prone to catching the wind. Handles rivers , lakes and the sea .
Also have the canoe 15foot version. Both were second hand. Kayak from Marketplace, Canoe from Song of the Paddle. The canoe has been on many adventures with the previous owners, Canada and Sweden etc.
If you are looking at inflatables Gumotex are very good as they inflate to a higher pressure than cheap ones.
Look at the material used ie. Hypalon also the psi. If you are going down that route .

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I used to paddle windermere before the speedboat water skiing restrictions. Back then crossing windermere was done quickly and straight across when a quiet spell. Anything else and you're dodging the holiday skiers and motorboats who don't exactly look where they're going!

Even in dancers you could get blown offcourse at times. Canoes you often adjusted too. Anything above the waterline will be affected by wind. It's why sea kayaks have that mostly low profile except for the bow and stem to resist submarine in a swell. I've experienced that in a river boat on the sea before now, quite challenging I can tell you, I've done a bit of kayak surfing in a river playboat before now but you do find out quickly that they're not designed for much else on the sea.

I however have no idea about inflatable or separating or folding kayaks and canoes. It's useful to hear others opinions and experiences with them.

Reactions: Broch

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Since I started this thread events have taken a turn to the negative. Our car packed up on a trans pennine route over a month ago and it has been in the garage ever since. Turbo failed due to oil pump failure they said, £1700! Put it all in and found the engine locked up, new engine needed!

So after we get the van back we have another decision to make. Keep the van (day van with 4 bed and 5 seat belts but no kitchen or cupboards or a full campervan conversion), or sell and get a family sized car and go back to tent camping. Anyone care to give their view on this?

A few additional points, we've not really been using it as a campervan, only 2 or 3 trips the whole of last year because it's but fair forcing our son into van camping when he's no longer into it. It's our only vehicle but only use it for 6500 miles per year. We can't easily carry kayaks we have or open canoes there's talk of getting. However, it's great when we use it, great for changing in after outdoors activities, good/ high aspect for seeing out when driving and it might not be likely that we'll have the money to convert another van in the future.

The other option is to sell once it's back on the road to get a suitable car. It's a 16 plate van which used prices as a panel van are 8 to 9k. I've looked at conversions by a pro converter company at the similar age and I've seen one at a year older with only insulation and wood part lined out for 15k. I've seen full conversions at £19 to 24k. I think the 15k part conversion is overpriced but ours is effectively a fully converted day van with extras like lid plus 2 beds, 5 seats belts, diesel heater partially wired up for electrics with split supply to leisure battery, leds and USB chargers and an extension from external plug socket to internal 3 pin double socket with RCD. I think £15k plus might be reasonable bit I'm not sure.

So sell or keep? It's a seller's market I've heard. The other thing is after clearing 5k repair bill that's probably 10k car budget. What would you say is a good car to get should we sell? We'll end up carrying car camping kit at times and it'll have family taxi duties to football etc so 5 reasonable sized seats.

I've not looked at cars for over 10 years so things have moved on. No idea what we can get due 10k and really have no idea whether we'll sell the van or not. I think if there's no car to interest us then we might stick with the van and wait until for EVs get cheap enough for us.

Last edited:

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
That depends entirely on what your aspirations for use are - they are dangerous (in my opinion) on large open water. but great for paddling on canals and in sheltered bays.

Others may disagree, but I wouldn't go across Windemere in an inflatable.
I have been across Windermere in an inflatable ( Sevylor Colorado ) quite a few times. It was a bit scary to get caught in the wake from the big steamers but otherwise not too bad. They are quite slow to manoeuvre out of the way of anything though so you need to rely on others being awake!
I do feel much safer in the Grumman I have now.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
The fetch on Windemere can cause 3 ft and more waves and an inflatable caught in the winds you can get out in the middle could be very tiring to fight - on a calm day I'd accept it's feasible.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
My perception dancer clone at 12 or 13 yo was a bit worrying at times crossing windermere. You can get some waves and wind in the middle. Our club beginners trip was fell foot to the Swan for a liquid lunch for some and butties on the bank then paddle up the other side past fell foot. A quick dash across missing the various boats, which included powerboats going fast with or without water skiers past fell foot. Then back. We'd start to be feeling tired by the time of the lake crossing too which wasn't great. BTW I did it at 16 and someone bought me a pint of beer. Fortunately I grew up drinking wine from a relatively young age on holidays in France and the odd Sunday roast at home so could handle it and my boat. Happy times without the hassle of driving home.

Incidentally, I was up by the ymca on Saturday. Looking out from the jetty the lake looked like it was a river flowing fast northwards. The wave train towards the other half looked like well over 3' waves and running fast too. A good few miles long that I could see. Obviously wind whipped waves, white tipped. I would not want to be there in any canoe or kayak. Serious conditions I think.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE