Hammock advise wanted

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Hi,

I've been eyeing up a new Hennessy hammock for a while now, and hope someone can give me some advise.

I am compairing the 'Expedition Asym' and the 'Explorer Delux Asym', basicly the same, but the latter being intended for those who are six foot tall and over.

I'm 5.7 ft and wondering which of the two I should get.
Obviously there is a tad more room with the larger one, but which one will be more comfortable for me????

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Paul.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I'm 6 foot and use an Exped Asym with no problems. Granted it is the only hammock that I have slept in, so can not compare it with anything else, but it is my bed of choice when out & about!

Simon

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I'm 6 foot and use an Exped Asym with no problems. Granted it is the only hammock that I have slept in, so can not compare it with anything else, but it is my bed of choice when out & about!

Simon

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Hi,

I've been eyeing up a new Hennessy hammock for a while now, and hope someone can give me some advise.

I am compairing the 'Expedition Asym' and the 'Explorer Delux Asym', basicly the same, but the latter being intended for those who are six foot tall and over.

I am reliably informed that the Expedition is adequate for our height and if you order from the hennesy wedsite you get free snakeskiins

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Thank you for your replys.

I guess I'll save myself the £20 odd and get the 'Expedition Asym' model, unless someone else has tried both and can prompt me otherwise.

Thanks also for the tip about the snakeskin.

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
I was just thinking the same thing and after spending a night out with it pegged out on the floor (used as a mozi net as I was next to a lake) I can't think of a more versatile hammock.

If the material was waterproof it'd be even better!

statikpunk

Apr 18, 2007
nevada, U.S.A.
hey Im 5' 8" and about "ahem" 200 Ibs and I have the big one. and I will tell you why. I changed the hanging system from rope to climbing straps, using the method described for hanging a hammock on Risk's ultralight backpacking page, and that makes the hennessy 1000 times easier and quicker to put up rather than the rope and tree hugger system, but the downside is that it uses up about an extra 2 inches of material on each end,
regardless on if you convert yours to straps or not i would get the big one because i cant imagine going any smaller than the one I have, plus since you are short like me it gives you some room at the end of the hammock for stuff like your shoes (we have scorpions here so i dont leave my shoes on the ground)

I went through the same exact thing when i decided to get the hennessy hammock and the only reason i got the big one was because i got a good deal on it on ebay, and i tell you what i am glad i did because any smaller would not be too small, (but would be less convenient) right now even with my conversion that shortens it, it has a little extra room for stuff inside.
and i highly recommend converting it to climbing straps , it weighs less, its all one unit, and its easy to do, I honestly think hennessy should just change their design. i see no advantage to the rope and tree hugger system over just climbing straps.

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Hi,

Thank you all for the replys.

I had look at the DDhammock and tarp set up and it does look like a real bargain.
I dont see a mozi net included though, but I guess I could always add one? (I think I may even have one, but don't know if it would fit!).

Cheers for the pointer to Risks lightweight backpacking page, I have never seen that before.

The waterproof hammock sounds like a good transportable bath!!

I'm split now, not sure which one to get, proberly will get the bigger one, even though it is a bit more weight.

I had the first version of the DD Travel Hammock and used it a few times before the mozi net ripped due to its attachment to the tarp - to be fair the new design would not have suffered as the mozi net now has bungee cords to hold it up.

I believe the DD Hammocks are good value for money - especially if you have not previously used a hammock and are uncertain as to the level of use etc.

As I was sold on the hammock & tarp method of camping, I sold my Terra Nova Quasar tent and invested in a Hennessey Hammocks Explorer Deluxe Asym:

First off, I must say that its true what they say about price & quality - imho the HH is made from stronger materials and of better construction - but that's only of value if you'll use it a lot over a long time etc.

Secondly, the bottom access is genius, although it does lead to other difficulties (eg not really compatable with a group buy underblanket), however HH do their own undercover & pad system which I have recently added to my set-up.

The snakeskins are also really useful when setting up / packing away, although they do take a bit of practise.

Although I am 5' 10" I got the larger system as it is rated for both height & weight (OK I'm not malnourished), and as has previously been stated this is very useful to get clothing & boots inside (in wet weather etc).

Whilst this may all be very helpful and appropriate to the previous posts, I have subsequently invested in a Magikelly group buy hammock and mozi net as this system has different benefits (similar to the Woodlore Eco Sleep System) and I wanted to play !!

I hope this is of use.

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
I have just seen the Henesy Hammocks hyperlight asym, and it weighs in at just 750g, with a small pack size.
Do I need the underpad and overcover to keep warm at night? I guess I'm surposed to use a sleeping bag as well? Sorry for the dumb questions, but I cant find / understand the info I need on their site.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Hi taws 6 you will indeed need a sleeping bag or a quilt
The problem is compression of sleeping bag under your weight below you
This is solved by use of some kind of mat eg a closed cell camping mat or thermarest inflatable type mat or the alternative is an underquilt.These insulate you from the cold air below you

Also if you are just starting; out in order to experiment with a hammock the DD group buys on here would be a good ,appropriate and proven entry point;maybe its just me but Hennessys seem a wee bit dear for a first timer
Hope that helps
oh yeah and have a wee google for hammock camping there are a few sites out there not least this one

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/index.php/Skills-Basic/Hammocking-A-pictorial-Guide.html

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Thank you for all the replys.

I found the pictorial Guide Hammocking very insightfull, thanks for the link.
I was under the impression from Hennesy website that I needed a underpad AND a undercover, but that appears not to be so.
Where can I get a hammock quilt from, like the one in the guide with a bucket in for your feet? I can't find one on Hennesys site, I may just unzip my sleepingbag for this, not sure yet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE