group shelters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 10, 2012
pembrokeshire
Can anyone suggest different ways of setting up a parachute as a group shelter? I want to set one up but can only come up with a teepee type set up.

Thanks

Chris

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
We usually just chuck a rope over a branch and haul it up, pegging it at a height depending on the weather, a steeper angle for heavy rain or snow ..

P1010738P.jpg

DSC02468P.jpg

DSC01899.jpg

Rik_UK3 does some clever stuff with one, pitching it more like a low yurt with side walls, not sure how it's supported though.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
If you're pitching it amongst trees think about running a rope around the area and guying to it.

This then obviates the need for pegging to the ground and having people tripping over the guy lines.

More details about this way of pitching can be found here

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
I had a scan round that one last time out and it's holding up well. Couple of pinhole burns but given that it's been up maybe a dozen and a half times and always had a fire under it.....
They're big. It's a long way from the fire to the material so sparks have some time to die.
...and we only really put it up if the weather's iffy so quite often it's not entirely dry.

I liked it on this trip.
...so much that I didn't bother setting up a bivi and just crashed by the fire. Cosy. :)

LL_DEC_13.jpg

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
If you're pitching it amongst trees think about running a rope around the area and guying to it.

This then obviates the need for pegging to the ground and having people tripping over the guy lines.

More details about this way of pitching can be found here

What a blooming good idea Steve.... A total "no brainer" but i've never pitched my chute like that "DUH!!".... It's pure simplicity :D

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
What a blooming good idea Steve.... A total "no brainer" but i've never pitched my chute like that "DUH!!".... It's pure simplicity

You're not the first person to say that Dave. However I can't take credit for the idea.

I first saw it in action at Swynn's and thought that seemed the most practical and easy way to do it :)

how big and heavy is a packed up parachute? looks really cool!

Depends on the size. My one that I used to have was about 20ft across and weighed about 15-20lb max with the perimeter and suspension ropes included.

Last edited:

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
how big and heavy is a packed up parachute? looks really cool!

The 32' one is 7½kg and packs to about 45l.
We tote 3kg of steel pegs along as well. We're always on a beach so serious pegs are required with it being so exposed.

Last edited:

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
The apex can also be on a karabiner clipped on a rope slung high and tight between two trees quite far apart, so you don't have to be directly under a branch. You need the dark art of the "Mears Wood Missile" to get the rope high and tight, however.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE