grey squirrel cull

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Do you agree with the widespread cull of GREY squirrels

• Yes

Votes: 303 91.5%
  • No

Votes: 28 8.5%

• Total voters

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Lets face it, humanity has made alot of species of animal extinct - if we'v done it before, we can do it again, only more just than some of the other species we'v wiped out, i.e. bison, wolves in England, etc. If people got less sqweemish about eating grey squirrels, we could exploit it and the same goes for the signal crayfish.

Scrimmy

Forager
Mar 11, 2008
Whitley Bay
www.freewebs.com
Yes, me and my dad are falconers, and if we had land with greys on, we would cull them, red squirels have caught the virus of the greys in our hunting wood, but with no signs of a grey, maybe a nomad passing through, hopefully we'll catch up with it one day. Cain

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Somebody has been voting! :rolleyes:

As to the suggestion that dead squirrels could cause siuffering to other animals due to them being left to rot in the countryside, I think you'll find the problem wouldn't get to the rotting stage. The countryside has a vast number of cleaner uppers, badgers, corvids, foxes, some bird of prey, all will take a freshly and some a not so freshly culled squirrel. Don't worry, your countryside will be clear of dead squirrels!

ANDYRAF

Settler
Mar 25, 2008
St Austell Cornwall
Somebody has been voting! :rolleyes:

As to the suggestion that dead squirrels could cause siuffering to other animals due to them being left to rot in the countryside, I think you'll find the problem wouldn't get to the rotting stage. The countryside has a vast number of cleaner uppers, badgers, corvids, foxes, some bird of prey, all will take a freshly and some a not so freshly culled squirrel. Don't worry, your countryside will be clear of dead squirrels!

You missed out on one of the cleaner uppers stupid springer spaniels, who eat the damned things and lays by fire smiling and f**ting.

cattyman

Mar 23, 2008
lancashire UK
i dont think we should get rid of them completely, cos like other members have said they're good for the pot, i eat them regular and they are very tasty.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Is it legal to shoot them with a catapult?
and if so , how easy is it to dispatch them this way? I don't own a gun, but I don't want to shoot one with a catapult and see it jumping round screaming because the blow wasn't hard enough. I can't imagine they are easy to get hold of and break their necks.
My Aunt used to have a pet one. It used to bury nuts in the rough collies fur. It was fun to watch and play with but they don't really make great pets, once it developed a pair of swingers it had the temperament of a teenager but with sharp teeth and claws. Sirrel the Squirrel lived for 12 years incidentally. (there is no point to this story, I'm just rambling!)

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
OntheFarmHunting001.jpg
[/IMG]Had fourteen of the buggers that day,it was a particulary good day mind!

carla

Apr 17, 2008
shropshire
i remember as a kid in the northern part of n. america they were a
hugely pesky pest. came into the attics of houses, like rats. people put down poision for them. not very bushycrafty.....aye wot
in my part of the woods (salop) we never see them.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Should these be culled as well, as they are obviously not native, because according to the article they are forcing the greys out of some areas.

They also take over the roll of the greys and desimate the red population so yes on that point alone I would cull any species that is a direct theat to our native species

robwolf

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2008
thetford norfolk
did you know that we culled 100,000 red squirrels before the first world war because of the fact that they were eating sweet chestnut inner bark and devastating the growth of this important tree

WolfCub

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Bucks
A local shoot we get pheasant, partridge and mallard off for the shop asked the boss if he'd be interested in some grey squirrel aswell ?

In the next week or so they're having a big cull, we think with traps.

Out of curriosity to the reaction we'll get and to draw attention to them being bothersome little sods, he said "Yes please !"

Could be interesting !?!! Need to be ready with some cooking suggestions.

How are reds for eating?
I'm certainly not suggesting putting reds in the pot as they are endangered here - but assuming we do turn the grey tide and the reds repopulate their lost territory and their numbers recover to a healthy population... how are they in the pot when compared to the greys?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE