Greenheat Fuel Cells?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 10, 2007
London
Hi All,
Just wondered if anyone out there had tried using Greenheat Fuel Cells?
I wanted to know also if this gel is in solid form or liquid as i was thinking of making a trangia type conversion burner to fold up inside my hexi stove.

Any info would be appreciated.

All the best....Paul

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I've got some stuff in sachets - the best I can describe it is with the consistency of Swarfega or hair gel. I think I've seen similar stuff in tins too, which looked more solid.

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
This mite help i i take a small shoe polish can put fiberglass insulation put a window screen on top hole in cover put top on use denatured alochol or as you say meths. The one on the right is a altoids can the shoe polish fits inside also the legs come off and all fit inside more info and pictures on altoids and how to make it

here is one fired up

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
The stuff in sachets is a green liquid gel. To be honest, I wouldn't bother using it to cook with, it burns very cool unless you use it with something else like meths or twigs. A bit pricey too. Having said that, I always carry a sachet around for emergencies. It great to start a fire going in really damp conditions.

Pablo

Dino

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2006
Lowestoft, Suffolk
i got a tin of green heat, to use with my swedish army stove, and it was bloody useless, it kept going out :( , but i have used the little green packets on a hex burner and it work o.k.. i am know off and try the packets with swedish army stove in the wild of my garden watch by cats. :lmao:

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
I generally carry a few sachets with me. I use it for firelighting when I havent the tim/inclination to use a traditional method. Main advantage over hexamine is that it doesnt foul your cooking gear with all that sticky black gunk. Works fine in a crusader cup cooker for a brew etc.

Cheers
Nick

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
desert_emperor said:
Hi All,
Just wondered if anyone out there had tried using Greenheat Fuel Cells?
I wanted to know also if this gel is in solid form or liquid as i was thinking of making a trangia type conversion burner to fold up inside my hexi stove.

Any info would be appreciated.

All the best....Paul

studying www.zenstoves.net helped me a lot to understand all sorts (and not just alc./meth.) of stoves and fuels. Don´t get me wrong, I used stoves long before I was reading in the Zenstove files.
Maybe it´s because real men and fire ....

Turns out like something I didn´t know what I was doing - I suspect by now :D

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Green Heat gel is expensive for what it is, but it is environmentally friendly only when you have used it you have too carry the rubbish with you, unless of cause you dispense the sachets into a hard plastic bottle!
It is very easy to light (easier than Hexi!) but I personally would stick with Meths.

I saw a very simple and lightweight DIY stove on Peter Gawleta's Basic Bushcraft & Survival Volume 4 DVD.
He made it out of a small old rectangular lozenger tin that had a hinged lid, he cut a piece of loft insulation to fit the tin, covered that with a screen made from an old metal sieve and that was it!
Add the meths to the loft insulation, it all gets soaked up and then light it - One cheap easily built stove!
It is small enough to fit inside a hexi stove, and with that he had also made a billy can out of a large soup tin with a handle made from a steel coat hanger.

I hope this helps!

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
You mean likes this the one on left is a small shoe polish can on the right is the is the slider it must be sealed on one end i use jb weld punch holes paper punch also i put a window screen over the fiberglass insulation P S both stoves fit in esbit tins and fold close

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
oops56 said:
You mean likes this the one on left is a small shoe polish can on the right is the is the slider it must be sealed on one end i use jb weld punch holes paper punch also i put a window screen over the fiberglass insulation P S both stoves fit in esbit tins and fold close

Very similar mate!

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I agree with a lot said above. I agree that its not the best fuel in the world. can be messy, not very fast, quite expensive BUT; It is very environmentally friendly, the tins can be recycled or used for something else, and, best of all, it has an incredibly smell of warm rum...... :lmao:

Feb 10, 2007
London
Hi and thanks for all that commented on this thread.

Just wondered if anyone had experimented with mixing another substance with the gel to make it easier to light or burn hotter for instance meths? It probably won't make it an environmentally friendly fuel anymore but would be interested to know??

Cheers....Paul

david1317

Feb 2, 2007
glasgow
hi i have used the jel with my crusader mug and stand but did not like it very much dose not burn that hot leaves a sticky mess when it has burned out at about 4 to5 pounds for 10 small bags not that cheap

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE