Grand father arrested for carrying a knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
Ok, so by the letter of the law its illegal. So when he handed it to the security guard, the guard stated he had to call the police. What a load of **** ! That security guard wants a kick up the ****. And as for the copper that turned up and arrested him, well, he needs an even bigger kick up the ****. If the copper had any sense and experience this could have been dealt with far easier. If i was the copper turning up, i would have told the security guard to get a life, in a polite way of course.
Just because your a copper or a security guard, doesnt mean you cant be a knobhead as well !

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Ok, so by the letter of the law its illegal. So when he handed it to the security guard, the guard stated he had to call the police. What a load of **** ! That security guard wants a kick up the ****. And as for the copper that turned up and arrested him, well, he needs an even bigger kick up the ****. If the copper had any sense and experience this could have been dealt with far easier. If i was the copper turning up, i would have told the security guard to get a life, in a polite way of course.
Just because your a copper or a security guard, doesnt meen you cant be a knobhead as well !

Exactly two proper jobsworths

Bernie

Northsky

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2007
Sowerby Bridge
I carry a locking Opinal, the thing is , especially at the moment I only carry it out or to places where I need it. You've got to think about why your carrying it as I'm sure we are not all faced with the wilderness everyday.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The pragmatist in me says, "The knife issue, the dos and don'ts, is widely reported and very immediate; he ought to have known better."

My ordinary self says, "This is a ridiculous farce of a situation"

The reality is, Comply but Complain..........very loudly in public, use the press, the internet, the tv soundbites.................maybe if a wheen of Granpa's are arrested and charged things might change.................but what if he'd been an eighteen year old who maybe worked in a warehouse opening packages.............or maybe not................

No political discussion..........going to have to Mod myself shortly :rolleyes:
cheers,
Toddy

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Exactly two proper jobsworths
Alternatively, I'd not risk losing my job as a security guard because some dopey tit doesn't realise that carrying a blade into a court building is somewhat inadvisable... even more so given the current climate.

Plenty of places do "secret shopper" type tests to make sure security processes are running correctly... if they'd given him a warning they run the risk of losing their jobs.

Honestly, I think there are more deserving cases to get concerned about than
this bloke.

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Alternatively, I'd not risk losing my job as a security guard because some dopey tit doesn't realise that carrying a blade into a court building is somewhat inadvisable... even more so given the current climate.

Plenty of places do "secret shopper" type tests to make sure security processes are running correctly... if they'd given him a warning they run the risk of losing their jobs.

this bloke.

So as he's in his 60's he's a dopey tit,?

Bernie

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
I don't get it, not just a pocket knife, a locking pocket knife he broke the law, as it stands and was punished. Surely that is not really that news worthy. Locking knives are not legal, (unless you have a valid reason) in public places.
Would this thread get as much intrest if the title was changed to:-

Grand father arrested for carrying an unlawful/illigal knife

I totally agree. He carried a lock knife with no reason.

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester

this bloke.

The report says he handed it in. If he was searched and it was found, then fair enough. If it happened as per the report, then the security guard definately needs to get a life, as does the copper that locked him up.

Hello everyone,
will are children never wittle? with fingers?
when i was a child i had a knife from 7 years old and every day afterwards. never have i stabbed/slashed, threatened or started a fight(unthinkable).
Ok prevention is death- antly better than the cure! Hence the ban on fixed blades & locks without cause. Fine but have these people ever tryed to live and eat in this world with a s.k. (slip knot)
apart from it folding on your fingers when working with a s.k.(slashed knuckles). Theres the hygenic problems of a slip knot.
Wet greasy foods in the gaps carry germs, I hate running to the loo for any end in this case!
I have no teeth and need a knife much more than when i had teeth.
Eatting with a sak is messy and working with one is scary I.M.H.O.

why he was going into the court and was he searched I do wonder.Even if he did have work after, which seems like a need to carry it.

yet "I'd ask the same question though... does the fact he's in his 60s absolve him of responsibility for his actions?"
i think the laws the laws, maybe medical grounds would absolve him?

Its a strange world, i once got took to the station for having a palour palm! :confused:

phil wright

Jul 24, 2008
Harlow
sorry but this is my first post on here apart from my introduction so please no shooting me down in flames over this.
surely you could argue that having a knife with a locking option built into it is merely there for health and safety reasons.
i am sure that most people with a knife that folds without locking have at one stage been using their knife for what ever and have either misused it intentionally or otherwise and the thing has tried to fold up upon their fingers.

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
sorry but this is my first post on here apart from my introduction so please no shooting me down in flames over this.
surely you could argue that having a knife with a locking option built into it is merely there for health and safety reasons.
i am sure that most people with a knife that folds without locking have at one stage been using their knife for what ever and have either misused it intentionally or otherwise and the thing has tried to fold up upon their fingers.

You're right. And locking folders and fixed blades are things that you're allowed to have - providing you've got a good reason. Going to court sin't really a good reason. But he may have just forgotten it was in his pocket and, when he realised, handed it in to be sensible. I think he should have been commended for being sensible and not arrested. Like others have said he wasn't a victim of knife law but a victim of jobsworths.

Hicup

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 25, 2007
London
I am sure we will be seeing similar stories to this one in the press over time, as a professional gardener myself I’m going to be a lot more aware about carrying my pocket knife with me most of the time that’s for sure.
All I can say about the story is that there has been a lack of commonsense missing in all parties concerned.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Seems as though there are a whole gaggle of idiots involved in this story.
Firstly, the man for carrying a KNIFE (locking or otherwise) into a COURT. Whether he was a builder or not, needing it for legitimate use later on, he should have left it in his car, or at his place of work or at home. What a cock.
Secondly, the security guard. Should keep in mind that security guards do not have the power of descretion, that lies with the police. Same with traffic wardens. So, if a rule/law is broken they are obliged to report it. So he can probably be absolved some of the blame. Still, keep in mind the man submitted the knife, the security man could have told him to take it away or something.
Thirdly, the police officer. Who DOES have the power of descretion and could have just conviscated it and told the man not to be such a dick head in the future.
Fourthly, the media. For jumping with frenzy on such a pathetic and titilating case all because it fulfils some kind of moral zeit geist.
Fifthly, ourselves. For panicking each other and getting so indignant about an extreme case that is so blatantly cut and dried there is no real issue.

Still, we would be wise to start chaging habits (if you do still carry a knife, however small, in public out of habit. Not sure how the habit started, mind you. Can't think of a single sitaution in my everyday life where I've thought, 'oh damn, if only I had a knife with me...'), and also ensure that if you do have a knife with you that you have it for a good reason, and can prove so, and it's no bigger than it really needs to be.
It's that simple.

David.from.Holland

Tenderfoot
May 29, 2008
Holland
Seems like this knife law is hitting everybody but the punks it was intended to hit. Can you blame Mr. Read for not realising he was carrying an illegal knife? Maybe. But surely in this case he should have been let off with a warning. Please collect your knife when exiting the building, I'll keep it safe in my drawer for now. Have a good one Mr. Read.

Surely if Mr. Read was up to no good he would not be carrying a knife into the building, instead he would have chosen a perfectly legal pair of scissors or a big screwdriver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE