Government emergency website

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Local to me there's been an incident where groundworkers have damaged the main water supply- the schools had to close due to no water, and the residents living within a 2 mile radius had to collect bottled water from the leisure centre where they set up a 'hub'.
This did take a few hours to get up and running and the water was out for a few days.

Not everyone has the ability or knowledge to purify water for consumption.
If it gets to the point where we can't filter water due to some other reason then unfortunately it will be a grave situation which a lot of us are unable to prepare for short of owning a bunker

Did anyone go thirsty ? Did anyone have 'no' water ?

We live in a civilized country, none of us lives so remote that there is no way to get supplies as necessary.

It's scale again. Tide you over for a little while, and it'll be fine.
Like power cuts :)

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Did anyone go thirsty ? Did anyone have 'no' water ?

We live in a civilized country, none of us lives so remote that there is no way to get supplies as necessary.

It's scale again. Tide you over for a little while, and it'll be fine.
Like power cuts :)
Back in the day there was pop for the kids and beer for the adults, not a problem :)

Reactions: cbrdave and Toddy

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
An extra header tank or 2 in the loft might be the neatest solution for extra water storage, with all necessary allowances for the extra weight of course.

Reactions: cbrdave and Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
An extra header tank or 2 in the loft might be the neatest solution for extra water storage, with all necessary allowances for the extra weight of course.
We had just that; but the modern combi-boiler no longer required such storage, and the tanks were removed....cleared a lot of useable space in the loft, but I did sort of regret the lack of a cistern of clean water.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I have a 400 litre water butt on my vegetable patch which I replenish from time to time with tap water using a hose from the house. Its main function is to provide a reserve supply of water for the plants in times of hose pipe bans, but it's a comfort to have it there for drinking water should the need arise. Our neighbour has a working well, which the deeds of our house state that we have a right to use. I also keep about 50 litres of drinking water in plastic bottles in the shed. I'm not paranoid, just a Thames Water customer!

Reactions: Jared

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Local to me there's been an incident where groundworkers have damaged the main water supply- the schools had to close due to no water, and the residents living within a 2 mile radius had to collect bottled water from the leisure centre where they set up a 'hub'.
This did take a few hours to get up and running and the water was out for a few days.

Not everyone has the ability or knowledge to purify water for consumption.
If it gets to the point where we can't filter water due to some other reason then unfortunately it will be a grave situation which a lot of us are unable to prepare for short of owning a bunker

Sounds familar. Some of the homes nearby the damaged pipe were under 5ft of water.
Mother's house didn't have water, so I bought some bottled water at the big Tescos. Surprisingly saw no one else buying any, and they had paletes full out on the shop floor.

Reactions: Decacraft

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
Sounds familar. Some of the homes nearby the damaged pipe were under 5ft of water.
Mother's house didn't have water, so I bought some bottled water at the big Tescos. Surprisingly saw no one else buying any, and they had paletes full out on the shop floor.

Trelewis by anychance?

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Re: Water Storage.
I’ve just picked up 10 x 25L water drums. (as above). Clean inside and only held deionised water. Been in storage a while.

They are reasonably heavy weight plastic and can stack when full.
They aren’t worth posting but if anyone going to the CCS camp in Newark would like one or could get one to someone else who does I could bring a few.

I’ve never driven round the warren below spaghetti junction before. It’s quite fun.

• Haha
Reactions: Toddy

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
As water storage seems to be the theme at the moment probably worth adding a small segment into Bleach as a potential purifier.

Treat water​

Add 25 drops or ¼ teaspoon of Clorox® Disinfecting Bleach to 1.75 gallons of water (4 drops to 1 quart). Stir thoroughly.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Bump to this older thread as seems relevant to this one and the governments subtle directive.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE