Government emergency website

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I've noticed a lot of chatter online, in the news papers and on the news lately regarding planning for emergencies and the wife noticed the new government emergency website,
I have a fair amount of stuff already in place due to camping and hiking and I have no doubt most on here are prepared for most emergencies.
What are people's thoughts on it all?

I can't say I've noticed much more news bang drumming than normal but in truth I no really longer watch the news.

It is an interesting discussion to try to get the gen pop to try to become a little more self resilient than others. I imagine most people into bushcraft are a little more prepared in terms of stoves and camp foods and have knowledge/relatable skills of how to purify water etc than Mr Joe Blow walking down the pavement representing the gen-pop.

I can imagine its a hard sale for the government of this country - probably far easier if your country either borders or borders another country that borders a country that may have perceived hostile intent. More difficult in Blighty with the natural defence border of the channel.

In this country its not difficult to suggest to someone to carry some extra bits and pieces in case their car breaks down or they get a flat tire - this is an easy sort of 'prep' to get people to understand and is basic resiliency. Many of us I'm sure have gifted these type of items to loved ones or siblings..

However many of us also either have or do experience blackouts in our life ( so its proven to be a reasonable high probability event ) yet I would imagine getting people to put together a basic blackout kit or emergency cooking stove would get some raised eyebrows. Even although I feel its a generally good and pragmatic idea to do so I tend to not now even attempt to encourage people to do so. Just not worth the grief and follow on questions and smirks.

I think most modern built houses simply struggle with the required space to store or stock any thing additional without being an encumbrance which probably makes the notion of putting some emergency resiliency type things aside even more far fetched for the average citizen living in a time where the term 'cost of living crisis' have come to fruition.

I miss old school houses with generous walk in , deep floor to ceiling pantries - proper adequate spaces for putting plenty of food stock and another things and allow one to make the sensible storage of bulk items ( thus becoming cheaper ) a reality .

( ## edit - I remember being quite jealous of visiting friends in Canada and seeing how it was the norm for houses to have damp proof basements - excellent idea. )

The time for the government to press ahead with a direction of personal resiliency would have been better relatively quickly after the Pandemic had come to pass - it was fresh in peoples minds and hearts and would have landed far better and probably have gained more traction in my opinion.

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I wouldn't say keeping three days worth of food is prepping and from my experience I wouldn't say it has much to do with class or wealth either. I half wonder if it's genetic.

I do wonder if it maybe if not genetics based upon childhood experiences and how they were resolved or not. Lot of hard wiring comes from Childhoods I think.

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
I can't say I've noticed much more news bang drumming than normal but in truth I no really longer watch the news.

It is an interesting discussion to try to get the gen pop to try to become a little more self resilient than others. I imagine most people into bushcraft are a little more prepared in terms of stoves and camp foods and have knowledge/relatable skills of how to purify water etc than Mr Joe Blow walking down the pavement representing the gen-pop.

I can imagine its a hard sale for the government of this country - probably far easier if your country either borders or borders another country that may have perceived hostile intent. More difficult in Blighty with the natural defence border of the channel.

In this country its not difficult to suggest to someone to carry some extra bits and pieces in case their car breaks down or they get a flat tire - this is an easy sort of 'prep' to get people to understand and is basic resiliency. Many of us I'm sure have gifted these type of items to loved ones or siblings..

However many of us also either have or do experience blackouts in our life ( so its proven to be a reasonable high probability event ) yet I would imagine getting people to put together a basic blackout kit or emergency cooking stove would get some raised eyebrows. Even although I feel its a generally good and pragmatic idea to do so I tend to not now even attempt to encourage people to do so. Just not worth the grief and follow on questions and smirks.

I think most modern built houses simply struggle with the required space to store or stock any thing additional without being an encumbrance which probably makes the notion of putting some emergency resiliency type things aside even more far fetched for the average citizen living in a time where the term 'cost of living crisis' have come to fruition.

I miss old school houses with generous walk in , deep floor to ceiling pantries - proper adequate spaces for putting plenty of food stock and another things and allow one to make the sensible storage of bulk items ( thus becoming cheaper ) a reality .

The time for the government to press ahead with a direction of personal resiliency would have been relatively quickly after the Pandemic had come to pass - it was fresh in peoples minds and hearts and would have landed far better and probably have gained more traction in my opinion.

For the last few years there has been the guidance to keep a small supply of the essentials to aid in case of power/weather issues. Other EU countries have also advised residents to do the same.

Recently however (last 2 weeks) the news outlets/social media have been pushing this as if its something that has now been announced.

No doubt you you have seen the video that has been online in regards to a certain individual (A.Brigden) which could potentially (along with the recent prepping advice) scare or fear the average Joe.

Reactions: cbrdave

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
For the last few years there has been the guidance to keep a small supply of the essentials to aid in case of power/weather issues. Other EU countries have also advised residents to do the same.

Recently however (last 2 weeks) the news outlets/social media have been pushing this as if its something that has now been announced.

No doubt you you have seen the video that has been online in regards to a certain individual (A.Brigden) which could potentially (along with the recent prepping advice) scare or fear the average Joe.

Nope - can't say i have - feel free to message the link if you have it .

Reactions: Decacraft

bearbait

If you are storing water, please make it tap water in (a) reusable container(s). Keep them cycled and cool. (On the presumption that you have a piped water supply)
I am distressed that water is routinely bought in plastic bottles in the UK; Government emergency supplies fine but you and I don’t need it and it’s one of the biggest sources of waste plastic.
My tap water seems strongly chlorinated (or whatever chemical it is), so much so I can even taste it on, for example, pasta that I've cooked. Not nice. I've even smelt it on myself after a shower.

I've been buying bottled water in 5L plastic bottles for quite some time. However, where I get it uses recycled plastic for the containers. (And I recycle mine.)

I see today that, as well as the recent dodgy water down in Devon, one area of London (Beckenham) now has quite a few people sick, seemingly from their tap water. So perhaps a decent water filter should be in order for many of us?

Reactions: cbrdave and Toddy

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
My tap water seems strongly chlorinated (or whatever chemical it is), so much so I can even taste it on, for example, pasta that I've cooked. Not nice. I've even smelt it on myself after a shower.

I've been buying bottled water in 5L plastic bottles for quite some time. However, where I get it uses recycled plastic for the containers. (And I recycle mine.)

I see today that, as well as the recent dodgy water down in Devon, one area of London (Beckenham) now has quite a few people sick, seemingly from their tap water. So perhaps a decent water filter should be in order for many of us?

Mine is very chlorinated too. Nasty if you just want a quick glass of water, and scum on the top of a cuppa is rather off putting. I have two britta filters going, one to fill the kettle, and one for drinking water in the fridge.
Water filters such as sawyer minis are out of stock on many sites. Knives and tools only had 3 in stock last week,(I was trying to get one for a friend, amazon has them, but like me she won't shop with them.)
Prices are rising fast too. They are on average £10more than I paid for mine just a couple of years ago.
I've just decided to replace half my stored water early. I usualy do it every 6 months. Normaly it would be replaced in july. It's all tap water stored in 10 or 5 litre camping containers. I also pop in a couple of water purification tablets, and I also have a steripen. So can treat water with ultra violet light if needed.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Our water was beautiful, occasionally whisky coloured as the peat got through the filters when the moor flooded, but a few years back it suddenly started to taste horribly of chlorine....and it smells of chlorine too.

I bought a drinking water filter kit that pumps the water through a charcoal cartridge. The subsequent water is rather tasteless, but it's not stinking of chlorine.

It wasn't expensive, it was an easy fix and the replacement cylinder/cartridges are cheap. It's easy to change them out. It all fits snuggly under the sink.

The company I bought from is on eBay, and I'll find the links.

Under £20 for the entire kit, including the tap.

I buy replacement filters from the same company. A tenner pack of two seems to last us (a family of three adults, two of whom are at home all the time) nine or ten months.

It's very obvious when the filter needs replaced....the water smells of chlorine again.

You do need to drill a hole in the sink beside the other taps though.....turns out stainless steel sinks are really thin and easily cut. The company is very helpful too.

M

GreyCat

Nov 1, 2023
South Wales, UK
Well, I remember all that from the 70's, so we will be fine.
The recent water debacle in torbay is reason enough to keep a proper filter and water stored.
Things can happen at any time, being prepared is sensible.
I think we have had a pretty good run with very few emergencies or disasters in the UK. People just don't believe things could happen that could adversely affect them, and have become complacent. Certain prepper channels are fearmongers and seek to profit from those who worry, which doesn't help.
A sensible medium is all that's needed.

Yeah, very much this.

To be fair, the govt guidance is very sensible, and arguably the basics of sensible living! But (especially in the cities) we've morphed into an ecosystem where everything is there on an app on demand.

Want food or groceries? Decide you're feeling hungry? Use an app to purchase and get it delivered. (I do find that quite a difficult concept).

There's plenty of folk who seem unable to manage the charge levels on their phone even when they need it for train tickets (e-tickets), this notion that the basic services will always be there on tap 100% is ingrained in most folks who grew up post-1970's. There's also a lack of understanding in the general population of how logistics and supply chains work- the fact that most of the movements are overnight hides it from those who don't work night shifts and/or travel overnight.

Sensible medium is indeed required. But I remember the 1970's too, and then in the 1980's growing up in a rural area where power cuts were regular, could be prolonged and typically happened when the weather was at it's coldest.

GC

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Sensible medium is indeed required. But I remember the 1970's too, and then in the 1980's growing up in a rural area where power cuts were regular, could be prolonged and typically happened when the weather was at it's coldest.

GC

We still get them! But strangely, not since I bought a 5.5Kw generator (we're on a bore hole, no power, no water).

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Another water contamination somewhere in London. Thames Water this time. It could happen to you today! Time to put up some drinking water no matter where you live. Drives it home how sensible a precaution having a tap filter is.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Yeah, whilst distribution has become more efficient, it's also become more fragile.

To quote Sam Walton, founder of Walmart, "What's on the shelves today, was on a truck yesterday"

Last edited:

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Ardrossan academy, n Ayrshire closed because of legionnella found in the school water system. I know it's a different scenario, but that's 3 serious water contamination events in just a few weeks.
If you want to create mayhem, for many years I've said, the water supply is the first target for any malignant entities.
With most being privatised and only worried about profits, and paying investors and top brass big money, having let the infrastructure deteriorate for years, we have a big problem looming.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Legionella isn’t an infrastructure problem but will be an on site management issue. Every school knows they have to manage it and they’ve clearly got lax in their practice. Dealing with it on a weekly basis is one of those jobs that feels pointless.

Reactions: Toddy

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
How much water do you guys keep in store?

Edited to add:
…….. in bottles etc!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Legionella isn’t an infrastructure problem but will be an on site management issue. Every school knows they have to manage it and they’ve clearly got lax in their practice. Dealing with it on a weekly basis is one of those jobs that feels pointless.

If you read my post properly, you'll see I did say that I realise it's a different scenario. I'm aware of legionnaires as I have a closed tank system that has to be boiled weekly to prevent it, in my home.
It's still a waterborne infection, and a very serious one at that.
On another note, most beaches that were once blue flag, and many rivers, are now of questionable quality, many have warnings not to swim.
It just shows how bad water management and quality has gone down the pan.

bearbait

Edited to add:
I use 15L - 20L a week for cooking and drinking, and have around 8 - 10 weeks' supply.

In my last house, like Broch, the water supply came from a deep aquifer. We never even filtered it. When the CH engineer came to do the annual service / maintenance he would take a few bottles of it back with him.

Reactions: Ascobis

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales

Edited to add:
With a mountain stream pretty close I don't keep as much as I should, however I rotate 3 x20l bottles (the office water fountain ones) with a rechargeable tap to dispense the water. I usually use and refill them every 3 months. If I were to need more I have some water jerry cans I could fill.

Reactions: Pattree

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE