Government emergency website

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
I've noticed a lot of chatter online, in the news papers and on the news lately regarding planning for emergencies and the wife noticed the new government emergency website,
I have a fair amount of stuff already in place due to camping and hiking and I have no doubt most on here are prepared for most emergencies.
What are people's thoughts on it all?

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
What are people's thoughts on it all?
It should just be a bit of common sense but it seemed to be hyped up into something daft, with claims of shortages and interviews with prepping shops.

It seems to recommend keeping 3 days supplies of everyday items and a few extras such as bottle water.

Reactions: cbrdave and Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I keep a decent pantry, I have a quiet stash of a few months worth of stuff like toilet rolls, kitchen towels, etc., in sealed polybags up the loft.....after lockdown, who doesn't ?

I cannot concieve of having 'no' food in the house. Even just the most basic stuff like flour, oatmeal, etc., but I know folks who run down to absolutely nothing, and then they shop. I can't live like that. I don't want to live like that. Our ancestors didn't live like that, they prepared for the seasons ahead. I can't imagine not doing so too.

The only thing I don't stash is water, but ye gods and little fishes, I live in Scotland, and there's a burn runs alongside the path outside my garden fence. It rises as a fresh water spring not half a mile away.....is it potable ? I doubt it, but it's not beyond mortal wit to clean and sterilise...it can even be fun, look up small ale for instance.
The reality is that a few days with no rain is the exception in my bit of the world. Right now it's sodden wet, again. I don't know where I'd find room to stash water.

Our tap water comes from the Daer way up on the Lanarkshire moors. When Chernobyl went up then there was a kind of panic, but our bit escaped the dirty wind and rain.
If something like that happened, then no one's water would be safe anyway and I seriously doubt there's enough bottled water in the world to cover Europe's needs if something like that was necessary.

What do they want us to prep agin is the question I would like answered.

Reactions: cbrdave

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Someone posted this Swedish PDF below a while ago. As long as there’s no scaremongering or instilling fear then I think this particular document is quite useful. Depends on the nature of the people involved in the crisis though, whether there’s unity or division makes a huge difference.

I haven’t seen the UK version so can’t comment on it, but if it involves having to access a website then it’s possibly going to be inaccessible and useless in an emergency.

Last edited:

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
The media get clicks from turning fairly innocent and sensible comments into a big story, which isn't actually there.

Have a week or so of food/water stashed just in case (for ANY kind of emergency, could be as mundane as bad weather) and you can't go wrong. Beyond that, nothing to panic about.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
What do they want us to prep agin is the question I would like answered.
I don't think it's aimed at what I would say are normal people, people who might have several days of food and drink in the house. It seems to be aimed at people who have nothing stored at all, not even a single dinner. The government doesn't want to be forced into helping people who can help themselves if there's a disaster. I.e. they would rather help the sick, elderly etc rather than getting food and water to able bodied people.

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
Since 2020 my stock should last me 14 days. I do rotate and replace regular along with water.its normal things I consume anyway just more of it.
Cooking it wouldn't be an issue with my stove obsession

Would have basic electricity via powerbanks and solar/ petrol generators covered for a few days.

It's been recommended to keep some supplies for a few years now, no idea why all of a sudden its all over the media

Reactions: Toddy and cbrdave

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
If you're living hand to mouth can you actually prep anything? Seriously, there's people going to food banks just to survive. If there is ever a disaster the government will have to help plenty of people and they're not just people who don't help themselves but people who can't. Not a choice to be unprepared.

Sometimes I wonder if prepping is a middle class / comfortably off activity. Can you prep when you're using foodbank?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
We keep about 28 days worth of food and a couple of gallons of bottled water, candles, fuel for trangia and gas camping stoves, loo roll etc
Living in the country side, at the end of our power line and water main we often have cuts ...
Even vehicle issues can cause logistic issues as our nearest shop is 2 miles away.
Reserves of supplies seem common sense!

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I personally think the Government site is a good balance between things many people could do (but are not doing), and not creating a panic. It's pitched at local and home emergencies (fire, flood, power cuts) etc. but covers stuff that could be applied for others. It emphasises being self reliant for a few days which means the emergency services can concentrate on the bigger picture. Yes, it all seems a bit trivial to us, but to the vast majority of the population I suspect it's useful.

As for it only being useful for those that can afford it, why not double up and be in a position to help others when it is needed?

Oh, and just to point out before this thread gets all political, this will have been drawn up by Civil Servants.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I don’t think that there is anything new in the guidance, it has just been put in one place and is more accessible, clearly the press have twisted it and spun it for their own gain. I know for a fact that in my area there have been a slack handful of water outages in the past 18-24 months, having a small stock of water to tide you over until the bottled water stations or Priority Services Register deliveries have been made is not a bad thing. I don’t have a stream at the end of my garden but am not far from one and am happy to process that water into something fit to drink, however in the cities where this would have the largest impact I don’t think that would be a sensible proposition.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
My foraging skills help fill my pantry as does my veg garden.
I can filter water and make it safe, two rivers within half a mile, plus a couple of springs nearby that I can get even cleaner water from.
I have plenty of cans to tide me through, several oil and gaz lamps, spare batteries, torches and solar radio, plus a couple of battery ones, and my little solar powered jackery.
Just bought 5 kg of rice a few days ago at b@ m for £2.50, so that is going into store plus a tub of dried milk, that can be used to make yoghurt and cheese.
My little air rifle might pot me a pigeon squirrel or rabbit, but as I don't realy eat meat, that's not a priority.
Always have plenty of cleaning stuff on hand, 3 bottles of washing up liquid and 2 of clothes washing liquid, 2 of bleach, and 3 of flash cleaning spray and a pack or two of j cloths.
This has been my norm since before covid.
I think I'll do OK.
Don't come knocking in an emergency though! I'm sorted for myself, and some put by for my best pal, but the neighbours will have to try and get their tesco deliveries.
Not once have I had any help from any of them, even during the floo thing, so I'll just treat them how they treat me....
Most people I've chatted to about this have poo pooed it calling it scare tactics and are ignoring it. I don't let them know I'm prepared. I pretend I can't afford it. Realy it's just about looking out for bargains and keeping topped up for me.
So many will be starting from zero. My foraging and growing skills plus budgeting and taking special offers, mean I've never had to go to the food bank yet.
Havnt set foot in a tesco or similar supermarket for over two years.
If this is for real, (and there is probably stuff going on we are not being told about...see andy the gabby cabby on YT for further info,)... so many will not take any notice and be in a pickle.
I don't let it scare me, just as Mary says, be prepared practically, make it your norm, and don't panic or ignore.
Without being political, we can't ignore the preparations Russia is making , i believe we are in a serious situation and being treated like mushrooms.
The gov know they've left things too late, but need history to say they did try their best to warn us. Why else an early election and over 100 mps leaving all at once? They are happy to let a,n, other party cope with whatever is in the air.
Anyway, I've put my tin hat in the bin as it wore out several years ago. I just go on gut feelings. My gut is rumbling!!!!
If we get the big bang... Well any preps won't matter anyway but all else can be coped with.
Personaly, I think it's more about solar flares or hackers taking the system out.

Last edited:

wales1

Aug 3, 2011
dumfriesshire
Yep, lot of scare mongering going on. Though of course, sensible to have some food and fresh water aside should any unexpected events happen!

Steve

Reactions: cbrdave

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I don't think it's scaremongering so much as some serious people waking up to the reality of the potential for rolling power cuts in winters (as per the contingency plans on the govt website).

As @lou1661 Says.

GC

Well, I remember all that from the 70's, so we will be fine.
The recent water debacle in torbay is reason enough to keep a proper filter and water stored.
Things can happen at any time, being prepared is sensible.
I think we have had a pretty good run with very few emergencies or disasters in the UK. People just don't believe things could happen that could adversely affect them, and have become complacent. Certain prepper channels are fearmongers and seek to profit from those who worry, which doesn't help.
A sensible medium is all that's needed.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
If you are storing water, please make it tap water in (a) reusable container(s). Keep them cycled and cool. (On the presumption that you have a piped water supply)
I am distressed that water is routinely bought in plastic bottles in the UK; Government emergency supplies fine but you and I don’t need it and it’s one of the biggest sources of waste plastic.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE