Girl stuff!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
While in the forces I've been required to pack out EVERYTHING on certain ops and exercises...usually covert Op's and the like and it can be a little smelly (especially in the summer in a cramped OP). We couldn't make charcoal as it would have given us away so we used to take some in with us to put in the bags with the brown stuff....then bag it, bag it again and then bag it a third time for luck....not nice to have it leak in your bergan! It's a small pain to do but after a while it becomes second nature and you do it as a matter of course....

Em, I'd say packing it out is still your best option.... use the ziplock bags X2 and then a small black dog poop bag (you can pick up a roll of them at a pet store or supermarket) on the outside so you don't have to look at it or have others look at it if you don't want to...could be a tad embarrasing at the local public loo pulling out a bag that looks like it's full of dead animals!!!!!! :shock:
You're also right about the space side of things but luckily they aren't that heavy... actually that used to be one of the reasons touted for not letting women serve in front line units..."If they've got a belt pouch full of Tammy's then that a belt pouch that isn't full of rounds"....bit harsh really as the Isrealis have managed it for years...I was once picked up and thrown over the sholder of a very beautiful looking isreali army captain...she was tiny but boy could she fight!!!!

I think (and I'm a bloke remember) that these things are only issues if you let them be so......good luck with your hike Mate :super:

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Am I right in saying in some american states if you go into the wilderness you have to bring EVERYTHING out with you anyway:?: trash, No2's :roll: and sanitary products ect, im sure i read it some where...

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I wasn't aware that you HAD to do it in the states but I know it's really pushed very hard that you do.....and rightly so I think.
Within their Nation Parks they often have what they call a "Wilderness Area" which is a bit like a park within a park. You can't have any motors there at all...no quads, car, chain saws, generators etc (some of them even frown on mountain bikes) and it may be compulsory for you to pack everything out of those areas.
A lot of it also relates to problems with bear/human interaction over there.

It's mentioned a lot in the Parks and Wildlife Services websites....think I put the link on another thred somewhere....hang on...

http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/map/state_list.shtml#Idaho

That'll bring up a find a forest by state thing and you can just click on one to take you to the forest you're interested in.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Yes, Norwegian national parks do have very strict rules - which is very good. No cars, generators, quadbikes (I don't know about bikes). The only thing that spoils the peace are the occasional helicopters (the huts have to be supplied somehow). Fires can only be lit in the winter, you can't damage plants, disturb animals or leave litter or indeed any traces like excreta :shock: (bury it). You need a licence to hunt or fish.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Must admit if my other halfs ever on when we're camping, she'll either bag em up in those scented nappy sacks or take an extra box of the pill and skip that period.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I often see patients who wish to postpone a period over a holiday/army camp/honeymoon.

If she is on a monophasic combined pill (eg Microgynon) then it is perfectly ok to simply run two packets together without the seven day pill free interval. If she is on a triphasic pill it is slightly more complicated but can still be done with some changes.
(This all assumes a 21 pill pack - you can get a 28 pill pack containing 21 active pills and 7 'dummy' pills, where you would just omit the dummy pills and start the next pack).
Contraceptive efficacy is maintained - enhanced, in fact.

If she is not on the pill, then I might prescribe norethisterone 5mg three times daily, to start at least 5 days before menstruation is expected. You can keep taking this for a few weeks, and will have a period a day or two after stopping. It is not a contraceptive.

Most women on depot contaception eventually stop having periods altogether, and this is sometimes an option for the keen outdoorswoman.

Shamisen

Jul 18, 2004
S.Wales
Interesting, I don't think you can always guarantee that Norethisterone
will work though. I took it back 7 years ago, to stop my period for an event.
It didn't work, I haven't used any other pill since as, the unpleasant side effects I experienced outweigh the benefits in my opinion.
I am a keen outdoorswoman, and I wouldn't really want to take a pill to
stop my periods altogether. I have managed many times outdoors
in the woods etc, with no problems. I guess It's an individual thing though.
I just don't like using a pill which creates so much havoc with my body.
I did at the time try other brands too, and they all gave the same outcome.

It would be nice I suppose in an ideal world to pop a pill every day, and not worry about it, but I think I will stick with my body's natural cycle.

Shamisen

Greenpete

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2004
Oxfordshire
www.greenpete.co.uk
Shamisen said:
Interesting, I don't think you can always guarantee that Norethisterone
will work though. I took it back 7 years ago, to stop my period for an event.
It didn't work, I haven't used any other pill since as, the unpleasant side effects I experienced outweigh the benefits in my opinion.
I am a keen outdoorswoman, and I wouldn't really want to take a pill to
stop my periods altogether. I have managed many times outdoors
in the woods etc, with no problems. I guess It's an individual thing though.
I just don't like using a pill which creates so much havoc with my body.
I did at the time try other brands too, and they all gave the same outcome.

It would be nice I suppose in an ideal world to pop a pill every day, and not worry about it, but I think I will stick with my body's natural cycle.

Shamisen
Can I ask.....Am I right in believing that the pill is not only un-natural in it self and not too good to take for too long but is also very bad for the environment?
I'm sure I've seen documentaries that show that only a very very small amount of these drugs that does get in to the water systems from the sewers has made fish infertile amongst many other things.
So is the pill a good option?
This is of course assuming that the people on this site already care for the environment else they wouldn't be here!
Pete

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
there is some evidence to suggest that all the female hormones finding their way in to the water systems are resulting in lost of fish in places like the thames changing sex to female.. also may be responsible for younger generations of men having lower sperm count than previous generations.. :shock: dont think anything is proven though

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
The pill is certainly unnatural- it contains synthetic steroid hormones. Having said that, it's 'natural' for children to die from meningococcal meningitis (which we treat with artificial antibiotics), so natural does not always mean good. Also, some modern drugs do have a natural plant origin (digoxin, morphine, vinca alkaloids, atropine) but can still cause toxicity or death.

Nevertheless, many people prefer the idea of natural therapies- some will happily take St John's Wort but refuse antidepressants.

Like most drugs the Pill has advantages (stops pregnancy, stops ectopic pregnancy, improves endometriosis, lighter periods, less ovarian cancer, less endometrial cancer) and disadvantages (more blood clots in the legs, probably more breast cancer with prolonged use, more cardiovascular disease). In most women the benefits outweigh the risks but it is an individual decision.

I think there has been concern about hormones affecting fish near sewage outfall sites. I don't know how much is due to the pill, and how much is due to normal human sex steroids, which are present in urine. I think the problem is reduced with proper sewage treatment.

You would have thought that in the 21st century we might have stopped piping raw sewage straight in to the sea!!!!

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Thanks Doc... Good explanation and very level headed :You_Rock_

I sometimes grit my teeth when I see 20+ BCUK users logged on, looking at an average of 3+ websites each... that's about 150KW of power usage on just their PCs... excluding all the other bits such as lights shining away etc... and that's fine... power stations belching smoke is good as long as a poor lady is using moss because it's natural.

I know this may seem a little hard line but... I'm expressing myself so neurgh!

Sorry if/because I upset anyone/everyone

Joe

B

bombadil

tomtom said:
there is some evidence to suggest that all the female hormones finding their way in to the water systems are resulting in lost of fish in places like the thames changing sex to female.. also may be responsible for younger generations of men having lower sperm count than previous generations.. :shock: dont think anything is proven though

Not just a suggestion, m8, quite well documented.
Scary, innit :yikes:

Emma

Forager
Nov 29, 2004
Hampshire/Sussex
bambodoggy said:
Em, I'd say packing it out is still your best option....
I'm also worried about space for another purpose entirely - occasionally I have to travel on a plane with my sport kit taking up my baggage allowance, so I'm trying to perfect the art of packing enough to stay decent for a week in any weather into my hand luggage, along with things like tracksuit, cameras, books and work to keep me from being bored and (*sigh*) keep up with uni... I can manage it without pads, but not with.
I know I didn't mention that. But hey, I'm forgetful. ;)

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
That's an easy one.....pack your sanitary items in a small seperate bag and when you check in make sure it's a guy at the desk you go to....they may not say anything about the extra bag but one quick look inside it and almost any bloke will just wave you through......the taboo topic side of things for guys means most won't want to discuss it and will just let it go :eek:): especially if you start pulling them out and talking about them....lol Might be a little embarrasing for you but nowhere near as much as for him! :rolmao:

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
maybe you could use the adhesive wings on the pads to make them into something you could wear... a hat or jumper perhaps? I have seen worse on fashion shows :eek:):

What team events do you travel to?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE