Girl stuff!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Emma

Forager
Nov 29, 2004
Hampshire/Sussex
I'm really sorry that this is one of my first posts here...
But how do you girls (and for the blokes, the girls you know) cope with periods when you're out for a week or two? I can't plan to be out when I know I won't have one because they're so damn unpredictable... the same goes for my sisters who I go with.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Same as normal, just bag them n take them home, er girls help :shock: :lol: good question though not something us blokes have to deal with keeping up your personal hygene is very important when out even when water is scarce there are plenty of antibac wipes on the market.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
al said:
sphagnum moss ?

the joys of having lots of women in the family that seem to love talking about this.

Moss as stated, this of course can be delt with by digging a whole and leaving it behind

Normal pads/tampons, bag them up and throw away when oyu pass by places where you can do so (poublic toilets?)

Terrys nappy cut to size (two to three layers IIRC)

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Just take some in waterproof bags and seal them up for the journey home... wash down there with boiled water and if you are on the pill, some can be taken back to back without a break causing the whole period to be missed, however it's critical to check with your GP as to the safety of this method.

Joe

Greenpete

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2004
Oxfordshire
www.greenpete.co.uk
A girlfriend of mine used to feed her tomatoes with hers! She used to collect the most of it in a jar when she felt it was ready to pour out!:yikes:
You could possibly do something similar in the woods? Or you could try the old fashioned way and use cloth that you would wash out. :?:
It's difficult to suggest things like this when you are a man!

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
not claiming to be an expert here

but i have heard of people with dodgy drains in their homes chucking towels on the fire rather than upgrade the drains as they would have to do if they got blocked

once its burned it is gone, now ya just need to find somehwere to camp that allows fires

also a thing of the past is the boil wash

you could in theory boil and bleach towel cloths (just like they did with nappies too) and use them indefinitely

Tant

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Were not in the dark ages here, so keep it simple and use what you have always used, if you can burn them burn them or take them home with you, Sphagnum moss in your knickers me be a little uncomfortable to say the least! an infection is the last thing you want, if in doubt ask your GP for their advice, and for safetys sake give your knife to someone else! :yikes: :lol:

Greenpete

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2004
Oxfordshire
www.greenpete.co.uk
Paganwolf said:
Were not in the dark ages here, so keep it simple and use what you have always used, if you can burn them burn them or take them home with you, Sphagnum moss in your knickers me be a little uncomfortable to say the least! an infection is the last thing you want, if in doubt ask your GP for their advice, and for safetys sake give your knife to someone else! :yikes: :lol:
We might not be in the dark ages but there are ways of doing things we can take from the past to help the planet survive and also then know that we are doing all we can to help the planet.
Using modern toiletries has a profound impact on the Earth and if someone wants to try and lower their impact then great!

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Impact on the earth??? aren't tampons made from cotton? lets keep this in perspective. I would rather dispose of something (anything) in a responsible manner than use something found in the woods could cause infection or at worst toxic shock! then you have to take it home anyway because you can't just dump the moss back... it would attract predators to the area that may not frequent it.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
nothing unhygenic about a cloth that has been boiled

and it worked for generations before our "disposable" society came along

me my sister and brother all grew up with the same set of nappies

yeah it is a pest to wash em out but my parents had no other options available

i do think sphagnum moss might not be such a good idea tho

Tant

Greenpete

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2004
Oxfordshire
www.greenpete.co.uk
Squidders said:
Impact on the earth??? aren't tampons made from cotton? lets keep this in perspective. I would rather dispose of something (anything) in a responsible manner than use something found in the woods could cause infection or at worst toxic shock! then you have to take it home anyway because you can't just dump the moss back... it would attract predators to the area that may not frequent it.
A poor case I admit!:roll:
There is rayon in some tampons, though I don't know what effect that would have on the atmosphere if we burnt it. :?:

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
tant, I agree completely... but for at home really... I doubt you will be able to keep cloth sanitary to the extent required while in the bush (no pun intended)

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Hands up who has a bunch of dock leaves hanging in their bog? :?: no i didnt think so, good points here but lets give the girls good advice, Your GP is the person to see, the likely hood you will be worrying about your periods if you are in an extreem survival situation is remote, stating alive is more important. Stay with what you use and burn it or take it home,after all your only talking about a week..

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
i gotta disagee squidders

most underwear is made from cotton innit? girls and boys both

so if you wash em out in the wilds does that make em unwearable??

if you are unsure about this, what happens when it rains?

or when you go swimming?

please these are rhetorical questions only, just meant to prove a point

but cotton cloth tucked into underwear was what was used for a looooooong time before tampons were invented

Tant

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Em's only talking a week or 2 here, theres no way some ones going to find her dressed in rabbit and shrew skins gnoring a yack bone trying to bite anyone who comes near!! lol :rolmao:

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
not what i was suggesting at all squidders mate

i was suggesting a towel for external use

mebbe i just have some odd friends but some of them would not even consider using a tampon under any circumstances, preferring disposable cotton towels

now have we beaten this one to death yet?

:dedhorse:

Tant

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
couch.gif

is it safe to come out yet?

Tant

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE