Girl stuff!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
mildly antisceptic properties in sphagnum moss, also horse chestnut leaves too which leave you all soft and tingly , birch leaves do as well and soapwort,though im not sure if the last 2 are antisceptic

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
I'm sorry, BUT I'M NOT USING MOSS...maybe I'm a bushcraft wuss, but I don't care. Sorry to be blunt, but it's already an unpleasantly messy buisness at the best of times, and I want to be as comfortable and contained in that regard as is humanly possible.

Kim, sitting at her desk, suffering from wildly ridiculous PMT.
:wink:

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
A P.S to my last post....I will do anything, wade in mud, swim through a frozen lake, eat bugs, grubs...I have no problem with rain, with dirt, with walking for miles...in the dark, sleep deprived, with a hat on my head that says...I am a duck...

BUT I WILL NOT USE MOSS.

jakunen

Native
Going back to the bit about burning towels etc, rayon is merely a syntehtic cotton and burns in exactly the same way (I used to do flammability tests on fabric when I worked at a lab. Boy did I enjoy my job!!!:eek:): ), so it is perfectly safe to burn.

As for the plastic parts, as Kim said, these would not be very good in the fire.

And I'm not about to suggest that the girls should seperate them bits out, burn the safe bits and take the plastic bits home.
So the best option, to me, seems to either use terry liners as someone on page 1(?) suggested, which could be washed and reused or safely burnt or just bag it and bin it.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
al said:
Martyn said:
Sphagnum moss - oh phuleeeeese!

whats wrong with that? she asked a question, thats an honest answer, also a true one, this being a bushcraft site n all, people still use it for that amongst other things

Al, no offence bud, but no self respecting woman i know is gonna shove sphagnum moss up her tuppence, given any one of a million alternatives. Granted, it might actually work, just like it works for wounds and might be your only option in an extreme survival situation, but how many of us would dress a gaping cut with moss if you had a sterile field dressing available? I respectfully suggest that this is one particular subject, where all but the most "extremely green" of women will opt for 21st century solutions - and good on em.

Sure, let it be known that it is a possible solution, but i dont think suggesting it as a first choice is gonna be met with too much enthusiasm. ;)

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Kim said:
A P.S to my last post....I will do anything, wade in mud, swim through a frozen lake, eat bugs, grubs...I have no problem with rain, with dirt, with walking for miles...in the dark, sleep deprived, with a hat on my head that says...I am a duck...

BUT I WILL NOT USE MOSS.

Good on yer girl. :biggthump

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
you could, if needed, in many instances it's not needed though because there are modern alternatives. If there was no choice most of us would say go with the moss....but there are choices, most of the time.

There have been some really good posts on this subject and it's really good to see things from the other side, listening to opinions and perspectives.

For the most part my wife follows the burn what you can, carry what you can't philosophy and it work well for her.

Keep it up guys and girls :You_Rock_

PS...welcome to bcuk Emma, it's great having you :biggthump

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
You're right, moss could be used and in absolute necessity I would. I also think it comes down to your own personal experience of periods because women experience them very differently both on a psychological and physical level. I've always hated mine, because I end up losing my mind for a couple of days every month and it's not the most pleasant emotional ride to have to go through 52 times a year. Also, every woman's flow is different, some experience heavier times and others light, and some can never predict. If I could bank on my body being predictable then maybe I'd be tempted to experiment? And I'd have to consider who's company I was in if I was going to because if it didn't work well enough, for whatever reason, I wouldn't want them to be embarrassed and I think for some embarrassment is a huge issue. The culture we live in teaches women to hide their periods, to make them 'clean and tidy', so that no one knows that it's happening, and as such, it has permeated our entire relationship to a perfectly natural bodily process. Hence people don't talk about it, and women rarely mention/talk about it infront of men unless they're in a relationship with them. I find it interesting that in the bits and bobs about bushcraft I have seen/read so far there isn't anything that I can recall that related to periods which, when you think about it is completely mad since it's something that occurs as often as the full moon for about 50% of the population. I would dearly like to hear it mentioned on bushcraft courses...as something to be considered as naturally as 'how to make fire!' I know it's not a survival issue necessarily, but for women it's a very personal and pertinent issue. I'm so very glad that Emma posted this thread. Now, does anyone know of any other things apart from moss that might be useful - and for stomach aches too!

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Kim said:
I also think it comes down to your own personal experience of periods because women experience them very differently both on a psychological and physical level. I've always hated mine, because I end up losing my mind for a couple of days every month and it's not the most pleasant emotional ride to have to go through 52 times a year.
:yikes: :yikes: How many times a year. :yikes: That explains a HUGE amount...
I thought it was 'only' 12, shows how wrong a bloke can be.

Cheers

Mark

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
He he...see what I mean! YEP... today is definatly one of those...Kimberly is losing her mind days.... :shock:

you'll just have to forgive me!!!! :wink:

Shamisen

Jul 18, 2004
S.Wales
Oh Kim, you could try a remedy called Sepia, for your stomach, it's very good if you also get weepy and emotional at period times. It's a homeopathic remedy, you can get from most health shops. Try a 6c to see how that works maybe. Just another thing that's useful for me :wink:

Shamisen

Shamisen

Jul 18, 2004
S.Wales
No I wish huh, I just wait for my weekend martial arts class for that one :eek:):
or just go for VERY long walks away from other people :wink: damage limitation :eek:):

jakunen

Native
Kim,

One thing that you can use for the cramps in the wild is either water or horse mint. Both contain compounds that act as a muscle calminitive(sp?) and are used in herbal tablets for stomach cramps and other disorders. Other things like lemongrass and ginger tea also help.

Being a bloke I can't say how well it would work with period pains, but it 'should' work.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE