Girl stuff!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Sorry girls, haven't been around for a while so I've only just seen this thread. I think pack-in pack-out is the best option. Burning doesn't always work well as well as it should (there's a funny story in Kathleen Meyer's How to **** in the Woods about a little package that she popped into the communical campfire only to watch in horror as the plastic wrapping burns away to reveal the slowly smouldering contents. Gotta have a sense of humour! :wink:) Nappy sacks are a good bet for storage until you return to civilization but I would recommend a strong zip lock bag to keep the bags together and becase nappy sacks aren't watertight when you tie them up - otherwise if your pack should get soaked in the rain it makes a bad situation worse (which has happened my pack with dirty nappies inside! :shock:)

Moss - yeah, but only if it was a survival situation. Cloth strips are probably a better bet. :-D

It's an interesting subject. In many ways because of its taboos. I was surprised that my army daughter and her female colleagues were given no instruction in basic training and on exercises about how to deal with menstruation. But then neither were there any toilets or even an agreed latrine area set up when they were camping out - so every one was just going all all over the place anyway. :roll: In NBC training, urination for blokes was covered but not for women and no discussion of how you would deal with menustruation. But then I suppose if you're in an NBC situation, it's probably the least of your worries! :roll:

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
What a useful thread, and I had been wondering about this issue! :)
Thank you all.

She puts this magnet on a few days before the start and keeps it on until just afterwards...apparently it helps blood flow around that area as the magnet attracts something in the blood (iron

I've no idea how this works but blood isn't (ferro)magnetic so it's definitely not that.
Iron is in the blood but it's bound to proteins so can't move about freely under
a magnetic field.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
My wife uses one of these http://www.mooncup.co.uk/

She has found it very good in a number of ways, particularly as she is predisposed to becoming anaemic and this helps to monitor loss. It is easy to clean with a quick rinse and left in boiling water for a few minutes.

Pib

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
I'm hardly in a position to try to follow up the couple of thoughts I had on the subject so probaly best if I just offer them up as they occcured and then probably seem silly for overlooking something obvious.

Methods of flow control seem to be divided into 2 camps ( hopefuly the last pun I use in this post ) internal and external.

For internal it might be worth investigating something an exgirlfriend of mine had done a little research on years ago. That some Victorian ladies of negotiable affection had used natural sponges as an absorbant. If they pass the first test presumably in the field these could be rinsed out and left in boiled water for steralisation ( something like a folding cup with a lid to keep the temperature up longer )

For external would it not be possible to make cloth liners with wings that could be pop studded onto underwear ( I'm presuming the padding of the liner would be enough tho stop the pop studs causing rubbing or being otherwise uncomfortable ) again these could be washed after use and then left in boiled water for steralisation before being hung to dry. A material that might be worth investigationg for this application is microfibre toweling as used in normal trekking towel as they are soft absorbant and fast drying.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I can vouch for the Mooncup too. My other half has been using one for about 5 years now and swears by it! In fact when she has to use 'normal' methods (tampons and pads) she really hates it, it's messier and far more poluting!

MoonCups all the way. Also i guess if you need a shot glass when out and about you always have one to hand :D maybe not :yuck:

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Heh, I'm glad I resurrected this thread :)
Also it's nice to be among unsqueamish gallant gentlemen along with the ladies!

Might try one of those mooncuppy things, but I promise I won't give a review :p

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
My wife is training to be a midwife so lets just say every boundary has been crossed!:lmao:

I realised this when a woman I work with started with 'Your wife knows a lot about lady things can you ask her a question for me' I knew my life had changed forever!:sadwavey:

Joking aside my wife and all her midwifery friends seriously rate the mooncup, plus being environmentally friendly it has been given a huge thumbs up by all sorts of groups. I also believe that it got a mention on It's not easy being green, the second series.

Good luck

Pib

Grey Owl

Tenderfoot
Nov 26, 2006
Canada
voyagetothebay.cauc.ca
For those of you in North America there is also a product known as "The Keeper." http://www.keeper.com Very similar to the mooncup that several individuals have mentioned in previous posts.

My spouse has been using this device for 8 years, until a recent misplacement that caused a fair bit of stress in our lives. Luckily it has turned up again.

She has used this on extended trips on several continents, in temperatures from -40C to +40C and during our recent 3000km canoe trip through the north of Canada it was worth its weight in gold.

The only downer to this product is that we can convince so few people to give it a try. In all the years that we have been familiar with the product, only 1 friend has been convinced to give it a try. In 6 years of instructing in a university level outdoor leadership course I have made practice of dealing with these issues, trying to provide as much information as possible, still no takers. Once student did manufacture a set of reusable pads but quickly discarded them after one trip.

Cheers,

Grey Owl

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Very interesting - one of them is made from natural gum rubber, although the mind
boggles at their claim to being the 'most recognised name in the menstrual cup
industry' :D

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Interestingly enough we have just been talking about the cup.

I hadn't realised but my wife is currently acting as a case study in an attempt to raise the profile of using a cup with health professionals.

My wife suffers with a huge amount of loss which can result in her being really rather unwell. When I say a huge amount of loss we are talking something like over half a litre within the first three days.

She tried to have the issue addressed a number of times but with little help from the medical community. With the use of the cup she has been able force the issue somewhat and as a result is getting the treatment that she wants.

She can't and therefore I can't sing it's praises enough.

One final comment re this product and I'm sure any other cup supplier is that they are very approachable, perhaps more so than some of the corporate giants involved in what must be a huge money monster!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I know its the rage with women these days, but I do not follow fashion and Im not doing it!

(says she who is trying to come to terms with her `shepee` seat left up, anyone?)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have spoken with a very elderly lady who hiked all across Scotland and the Lake District as a young woman, (she has never worn trousers, felt they weren't decent somehow, even if she insisted they were slacks) and she spoke of a *foul fire* that was lit to dispose of bodily wastes; sh1t was done on newspaper or the shiny Izal stuff and burnt, bandages, and rags as she referred to them, too, were burned as were food scraps. It was tacitly acknowledged among a mixed group of walkers that a foul fire wasn't for enjoyment, cooking or sitting around, but simply discrete disposal. The ashes of that fire were never scattered but buried. Sometimes the ordinary fire was used as a last minute tidy up when reddiing up to move on, and then it was declared foul, but mostly it was lit using embers from the main fire and kept downwind and a little bit away from the tents.
I know my girlfriends and I did this too when camping over thirty years ago. We burnt some bog myrtle, sweet cicily, mugwort or sweetgrass with it to sweeten the air a bit, but the fire was finished pretty quickly anyway.

Y'know those biodegradeable polybags? Like the poop ones for dogs, Do they burn safely? Do any plastics?

cheers,
Toddy

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Y'know those biodegradeable polybags? Like the poop ones for dogs, Do they burn safely? Do any plastics?

cheers,
Toddy

The standard yellow medical/clinical waste bag gets incinerated. Does that mean its safe in a normal fire? :dunno: I'd guess not.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I have looked into mooncups, I but can't work out how I can use them when I am out. I can change myself cleanly while in a sleeping bag if I need to, so presume I can do it while in bivvy (which I want to move to) and cant see how that is possible with a mooncup I cant see how they are emptied where there a lack of facilities, like a good bush or clean toilet. I don't want a product thats going restrict where I can sleep to tent I can stand up in, and even then how do you empty it while in a tent?

:sad6: to ask the nitty gritty questions, but I really want to know.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Erm! OK I can't really help with the tech questions and SHMBO is on placement today! As for disposal I want to say dig a little hole and pour it away. Might sound a little grim but you did say there were no clean toilets so I'm assuming you are talking about being in the sticks so I can't see the harm.

As for clean removal then I'm guessing you'd need to adopt some sort of sitting position, starting to feel a little uncomfortable now, but soldiering on! My wife believes that she is cleaner when using a mooncup, but if I'm honest it hasn't been put to any real outdoor test.

However, when she gets in tonight I'll ask her to have a proper read of this thread andanswer any questions there are.

Pib

May 22, 2007
Weston Super Mare
Ultimate survival tools: several bars of chocolate, a portable DVD player and a selection of Hugh Grant movies ;p

For cramp pain there are a number of stick on heat pads available which can be worn on the skin and last for hours to ease the pain.

Health stores stock 100% cotton pads and tampons - biodegradable and eco friendly.

http://www.naturalcollection.com/natural-products/Sanitary-Products-and-Organic-Tampons.aspx

http://www.naturalcollection.com/natcolnew/searchresults.aspx

And for disposal...

http://www.naturalcollection.com/natural-products/Bag-it-Bin-it.aspx

Avon do packs of sensitive feminine wipes to keep clean. I'd avoid "natural" methods, moss, sponges or whatever - unless of course you fancy going home with an infection, or at least feeling very itchy :-/

Some people have mentioned the mooncup - I have no idea how good this this, tbh the idea of it makes me feel rather queezy!

Personally I'd never go camping with a period due to cramps that mean I'd rather be in bed with a hot water bottle than anywhere near a tent!

If you take the pill you could always skip a period that month by not taking the week break, that is an artificial period anyway that doctors and church leaders insisted on women being advised to take - the reality is that the original pill was designed to be taken continuous, a friend of mine hasn't had a period in about 7 years...

My good lady enjoys kayaking and canoeing but never does it when she is due. I've went to extreme lengths to ensure she is comfortbale in the outdoors, I've bought her the best I can afford, from sleeping bag to clothes and even a she we but she will never go out on the water when she is due...it's very limiting and really uncomfortable for her.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE