giant volcano

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
as many of you know I´m really in to those volcano stove kettles and like my 1pt. Kelly Kettle very much.
Lots of other kettles in various sizes of this volcano type are made by a number of manufacturers - but this one outperforms them all
www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Camping-outdoors/Cookers/auction-92805805.htm

if it´s too big he also offers smaller kettles ...

A small volcano with power booster
www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Camping-outdoors/Cooking-Equipment/auction-93779593.htm

Those Kiwi´s are for sure a spezial sort of people :D

I think I´ll try that one as an option for my little Kelly ....

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
cyclist said:
as many of you know I´m really in to those volcano stove kettles and like my 1pt. Kelly Kettle very much.
Lots of other kettles in various sizes of this volcano type are made by a number of manufacturers - but this one outperforms them all
www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Camping-outdoors/Cookers/auction-92805805.htm

if it´s too big he also offers smaller kettles ...

www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Camping-outdoors/Cooking-Equipment/auction-93779593.htm

Maybe it's just me but wouldn't there be a bit of a burning hazard with the big one? The tap seems a little too close to the hole for the fire (maybe you can swivel it around)?

Wouldn't you be better off just using large capacity steel bucket and some heat proof gloves? May not boil as quickly but it would be a hell of a lot handier once the water was boiled (i.e. for carrying hot water round camp) and it has more than one use - washing up, water collection ...... seat :D !

Not sure I grasp how the little kettle has a "power booster"? Probably just me being thick :rolleyes: !?! Just looks like a small capacity kelly with wire handles and a chimney? :confused:

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
cyclist said:

If only they made it in stainles steel.

As a thought, have you tried how well one of you Caldera Cones sits ontop of your Kelly Kettle, would make a nice verasatile system if can be made stable enough, without a cup ontop of the cone it shouldn't be too dificult.

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
Beer Monster said:
Wouldn't you be better off just using large capacity steel bucket and some heat proof gloves? May not boil as quickly but it would be a hell of a lot handier once the water was boiled (i.e. for carrying hot water round camp) and it has more than one use - washing up, water collection ...... seat :D !

not sure, maybe it´s more than just the speed of boiling ...

Not sure I grasp how the little kettle has a "power booster"? Probably just me being thick :rolleyes: !?! Just looks like a small capacity kelly with wire handles and a chimney? :confused:

the longer the chimney the faster the stove ....
compare a woodstove with a volcano type kettle - using the same type and the same amount of fuel.
The chimney extension will for sure make a Kelly at least 2.6295154 seconds faster on boiling a pint of water. :cool:
A racing kettle ..... :D :lmao:

Glen, yes that "Caldera Cone on a top of a Kelly" idea is brilliant, probably alu would fail for the purpose of a pot-holder-windscreen-combo since a forced wood fire burns much hotter compared to a tiny softdrink can alc. burner. On the other side it may help to reduce the fuel (wood etc.) consumption of the kettle.
Stainless steel volcanos are made & sold in Australia as "Eco Billy" go to www.google.com > images

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
cyclist said:
Glen, yes that "Caldera Cone on a top of a Kelly" idea is brilliant, probably alu would fail for the purpose of a pot-holder-windscreen-combo since a forced wood fire burns much hotter compared to a tiny softdrink can alc. burner. On the other side it may help to reduce the fuel (wood etc.) consumption of the kettle.
Stainless steel volcanos are made & sold in Australia as "Eco Billy" go to www.google.com > images

Hold that idea ;) looks like Caldera are looking into making some cones out of titanium. ( about halfway down )
http://www.backpackgeartest.org/rev...ldera Cone Stove System/Manufacturer Comment/

I but they'll look pretty after a few burnings.

The only thing I have against the Ecos is it looks like they sit on the ground with an open base, still if they do it's nothing that can't be sorted, I guess it won't be hard to make one, I do like the flat top design of them.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I've managed to get one of those 10 litre Volcanos and love it to bits.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30397

Now I'm no longer scared of the seams opening and have a big fire inside it it will boil 22 odd pints in about 20mins. The top does swivel on the base and theres 6 inch (15cm) clearance under the tap so you can get a decent sized billy / container under it. I dare say you could dig a hole under the tap if you needed more hieght but since the tallest thing I have is a 14cm Zebra its not a problem for me. A folding washing bowl/bucket works well with it, although I put cold water in first since I'm not convinced they can handle boiling water.

Theres a rather small filling hole (I carry a plaki funnel to fill it) so it doesn't lose much heat that way once its come to the boil and uses a lot less fuel than the alternatives, with practice a small fire will kep it on the simmer and you can add more wood when you top up with cold.

Theres no bottom to the base but I like this as is easy enough to put something underneath (a folded sheet of heavy foil works well) and I like plonking it on part of a fire pit that I've scraped some small stuff off from the main fire. So long as it's not too close the body of the tank shields you from the fire as you use the tap.

Its lovely

TBxxxxxx

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE