Gerber or CRKT

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
I would go for the CRKT, I've heard that gerber knives don't tend to be decent anymore (their older knives used to be pretty good, but apparently they've gone downhill somewhat) meanwhile CRKT retain a pretty good reputation.

however, if I could get the spearpoint version of the CRKT (with the plain edge) then that would win over both the others.

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
I had one of the Gerber Evo JR's for about 24 hours....then returned it. Thumb stud is too close to the handle, the handle is slippery, the whole thing seemed kind of flimsy and cheap. Big thumbs down.

scorpion

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2009
Manchester
I had one of the Gerber Evo JR's for about 24 hours....then returned it. Thumb stud is too close to the handle, the handle is slippery, the whole thing seemed kind of flimsy and cheap. Big thumbs down.

looks like its to be the CRKT then, just out of interest what did you get instead

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
I'm still looking......I've decided to save my pennies until I can afford a custom fixed blade. For a locking folder I am, at some point, going to fix this one:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42755

I own a couple of CRKT's, a Folt's Minimalist knock-off (a little too minimal in the handle) and a Renner Neckolas (river safety knife). Both are decent for the money. A co-worker has one of the M-16's and it does look to be of a higher quality than the Gerber.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
For only a few pounds more, you could buy a Buck Lumina 777, a clever, liner lock outdoor knife, designed by Peter Whittaker, which has an inbuilt waterproof multifunction LED light.

41V0A72AYFL._SS500_.jpg

Here's the spec':
Two 3-Volt CR-2032 lithium batteries
5mm LED light with on/off button, auto shut-off after 5 minutes and 4 programmed functions: high beam, medium beam, low beam, flash
3" drop point blade - 420HC steel, partially serrated
4 3/8" length closed
Weighs 3.6oz
Translucent nylon sides in colours with stainless steel frame

This company has them on sale for £24:95. I've used them (I have two) for a couple of years and like them for the ergonomic, functional knives with a really versatile LED, which they've proved to be. The LED works with the knife blade open or closed.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I would go CRKT, not got a single complaint about the seven or eight knifes I own handled one of their folders, seem to be a great knife, and the owner was very happy.

Was going to say try ebay they have some good deals, Doh!

scorpion

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2009
Manchester

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I've got a gerber knife with an aluminium handle with rubber inserts. Forgot to clean it after sea fishing once and the handle has flared and bubbled all over the place. The blade is ok as long as you're happy to keep sharpening it. I've wrecked a couple of tools on my gerber multitool too so generally unimpressed with their stuff at the moment.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Its a good idea to save up for a good fixed blade first :)

When you want to carry something more often then its a sub 3" slipjoint for legal reasons think Swiss army knives, or maybe a sub 3" friction folder. Also look at customizing your own swiss army knife :cool: If you do a search on here you will find some stunning looking SAK`s
I hardly use my locking folders to be honest, they spend more time stowed away in a draw.

scorpion

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2009
Manchester
Hi dwardo, ive already got a fixed blade mora clipper (razor sharp) and a sub 3" victorinox huntsman so i fancied a folding knife, anyway i bought the CRKT M16-10KZ carson EDC
and hopefully it will be ariving tomorrow

tom57

Jan 1, 2008
london
hello, also ordered the crkt as i couldnt resist the 47% discount. i have heard these knives loosen over time. i was wondering is anyone knew what size torx screw is used on the handle of the m16-10kz. thanks

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I have one of the Swiss Knife and Tool ones and have to say I find it disappointing. The thumb stud is co close to the handle it cannot be used to open the knife. The pivot screw works loose very easily leaving the blade flapping about, and the AutoLawks feature rather than being an innovitive feature is more like an afterthought to strengthen a weak locking system.

But, at the price, I decided to get one. It's currently having orange G10 scales fitted, the black liners show through the holes and look very good. The scales will also incorporate a recess so that the thumb stud can be used and I'm looking for a way to tighten the pivot screw to optimum flipper opening without blade play or loosening.

I think if you want this style of knife it may be worth paying a bit more for something decent. Or waiting 'til I've modded mine and offer it for sale!!

scorpion

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2009
Manchester
"It's currently having orange G10 scales fitted"

hi, where are you getting the new scales from, im very interested or are you making your own and when you say "if you want this style of knife it may be worth paying a bit more for something decent" what would you recomend

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE