Gathering up kit!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushman762

Forager
May 19, 2005
N.Ireland
Hi Group,

Just thought I'd let you know that thanks to Ray's new series he has stirred up stuff I thought I'd gotten out of my system...but thats not the case.

I went back home to look out my old kit...rucksack had been given away, same for primus, same for old military sleeping bag...same for almost all of it.

came back feeling rather disappointed, but then...Hey...I could replace it all with better than I had first time round.

I do have a black on black 2 season bag, but I'm looking for something warmer (and I love the look of those that Ray sells (centre zip) but not the price.

got my self a bivi... thats a must bit of kit...never had one before...but slept out already in this, just to test it...well pleased with this purchase.

on reading some of the posts on rucksacks....I have tried to get myself a Vulcan but no luck yet!

got my Zebra billy...still trying to get a s/s mug like Ray's.

have ordered a gransfors sfa. I never had an axe before so am having trouble waiting on this! like wise, I never had a proper knife before so I've splashed out on a 'Bushcrafter' from Alan Wood, can't wait on this either.

I never even seen a Hootchi before...have been looking at them, the Hennessy looks like a quallity item, but I was wondering about the amount of shelter it would give if you where jusy sitting about at the fire? the Australian maybe the answer, but I'm open to suggestions...not keen on the cheaper PVC ones for noise reasons. Has any one purchased the Eco Sleep system (I won't be, just on price) but would like to hear about it!

Where I live we have man eating midges, can anyone recomend a head net that will keep them out...at the moment I use chemical means , but don't like these products, and any how with a bit of sweat it's usually gone. (they just walk through the net I have).

we all have our own reasons for buying and recomending various products, I agree with the idea that less is better, but with the minimum of quality kit we can have a safe and enjoyable time in nature.

once we have our shelter sorted (that includes sleeping & fire). I am puzzled by the problem of living from nature. Can we really survive on a pig nut here & there? I'm fond of my grub (bit like RM) and would like to hear more on gathering from nature...I will of course be bringing some supplies with me on my outings, but just in case of Y2K (I'm still waiting on the big crash in 2000). I do admit I have spent very little time in the food section of this group, to busy gathering up kit at the moment!

Looking for:-

Rucksack...maybe a Vulcan?
Australian hootchi?
sleeping bag?
s/s miltary mug
fero rod?
stove?
laplander saw?

Best Regards,
:)

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I would recommend one of the saber bergans from PRI

www.pri.uk.com

these are fantastic and well recommended, I have never heard a bad word about them from anyone.

woodland organics are the sole importers of the real australian hootchi's they do not sell direct to the public but will put you in touch with the people that do

www.woodlandorganics.com

another very good higly recommended manufacturer of bashas (hootchi's) is kathmandu trekking
Tel/Fax 01970 890425. I cant seem to find there website.

I have used the Eco sleep system and seriously disliked it

the woodlore sleeping bags are manufactured by Nanok and rebadged for woodlore. so you may be able to find them cheaper elsewhere under the original Nanok brand.

http://www.finnrappel.fi/nanok1.htm

laplander saw is manufactured by Barco and is available from here:

http://www.tool-up.co.uk/shop/diy/SAN396LAP.html

the stainless steel militry mugs are manufactured by BCB:

www.bcbin.com

firesteels are manufactured by light my fire

www.light-my-fire.se/

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
For your stove you I'd suggest a standard Trangia, but I'm sure many people will disagree :D There's a big choice out there. I like civvi trangias because they're bombproof, reliable (much more so than gas), work in all conditions, and are dead simple and safe. Disadvantages are that the military model is a quarter of the price, they weigh a bit and so does the fuel.
Depending on how much cash you've got, I'd highly recommend Bergans rucksacks (www.bergans.no), but if you'd rather spend a little less everyone loves the Karrimor Sabre range. What with them now going bust and PRI saying they don't stock x and y any more, it may be trickier to get hold of some than it used to be.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Hi and good luck with your kit buying...

Rays Sleeping bags are made for him by Nanok, Nanok bags are very comfy even after prolonged use and actually seem to use a rating system that reflects the seasons of Northern Europe rather than (insert name of country with generally mild weather and minimal seasonal variation here).

'Gransfors sfa.' - Watch those ankles! :)

'Eco Sleep system - man eating midges' - I have never slept in an Eco-System however I spent a week with in France with Woodlore earlier this year, there were a few folks there who were using them, they all reckoned that they were very comfy and they certainly seemed to keep the mosquitos at bay. My one criticism was that as bomb proof as it looked the system took quite a while to put up. I have used a Hennesy Hammock in Turkey and the insects there were voracious, however using the hennessy equipped with snakeskins I could have a shelter up in minutes.

As much as I liked the Hennesy I have long since sold it and now sleep on the ground under an Aussie Hootchie, its just simpler and easier to live under, I do occasionally wonder about buying a simple hammock, especially when its raining, getting dark and I'm trying to find two trees that have level ground and no stumps or boulders between them. :(

I had a chat with a childrens canoeing instructor who spent his summers in the Ardeche gorge sleeping in a 'Pro-Pod' hammock, they looked tough, light and simple, although they seem difficult to get hold of though.

You could also scare the locals by wearing this...

http://www.bushwear.co.uk/nested-products.php?prod_brand=Bug-Me-Not

Ranger Bob

Nomad
Aug 21, 2004
Suffolk
My main problem with them is the weight, and when I've used them they seemed to consume a fair bit of fuel, which isn't light either. But above all else.....my last memory of using a trangia was a cold, wet night in the peak district, where after an hour of struggling with the thing, I settled down to a lukewarm bowl of rehyrated slop! I sure it wasn't all the trangias fault though :D
That was three years ago and I've not used one since........maybe I just did something wrong :)

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
ChrisKavanaugh said:
Anyone hazard a guess on the record hi-lo temps for California? I worry about any activity when people start acquiring stuff because Ray Mears, Tiger Woods or Juan Maneul Fangio uses XYZ. ;)

chris you make a very good point.. but it should be pointed out that over the next five years nike will pay tiger woods $90m to use their clubs...

i dont think gransfors and ray really compare...

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
I was being tonque in cheek about California weather, though I understand the cavalier use of kit by people who think California ( and other locals) are a Beach Boy Endless Summer. Winter in our high Sierras can record sub zero temps and we have a lovely spot called Death Valley. The truth is a bushcrafter can get into trouble very quickly with a spot of bad luck on a Shakespearian Midsummer's Night. Remember most people succumb to hypothermia in relatively mild temperature drops. As for Ray Mears, I am not bashing his promotion, be it for some renumeration or simple preference. I don't see him unloading his ruck from an Aston Martin :p My point is that people get locked into almost a peer mindset of "keeping up with the Jones's" and buying premium gear because somehow it will make us swing like Tiger, drive like Juan or enjoy an evening fire and the night sky less somehow than Ray.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I see your point and whole heartedly agree, but I suppose that if people see Ray 'Chubby' Mears using something, they think that if it is good enough for him then it won't let them down, rather than thinking it will make them like Mr Mears. Although there might be a bit of this as well... For example, there are loads of basha sheets out there, most are great. Maybe the Aussie has some extra redeeming features (can't think what?) but as some bloke on TV uses them, the prices shoot through the roof and they cost twice as much as brand x which is the same. Also buying from Mearsy's site is a very expensive way to buy kit. Take that Lapplander saw for example. 5.11 kit has been available form www.usmcpro.com for ages, but until Mears wears it, no one is interested. And then he charges over the odds on his site, and everyone buys it from there. Can't say I blame him and good luck to everyone who buys off him, but just remember cheaper alternatives exist elsewhere that are just as good. At the end of the day, it's your money and you should spend it how you want. To some a £200 rucksack is nothing, to others it is unaffordable. Being a bit of a kit fiend myself I keep an eye out for a bargain, but I want to buy stuff that will last a long time and not let me down, so will pay a lot for it if need be.

Oh, and Aston's are far too unreliable, and not much cop off road.....

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Buying power has to play a part as well. They may not shift enough to justify ordering the sort of quantity that allows for discounting. Overheads as well. Who knows...

Kirruth

Forager
Apr 15, 2005
Reading
www.bayes.org.uk
There are lots of good sleeping bags on the market. I use Vango Ultralite bags, which have been fine for me: there are a range of weights and seasons between fifty and ninety quid.

Lots of people like the Trangia type stoves. You might also consider a solid-fuel stove, a folding metal thing, otherwise known as a "hexy stove", which will boil a billy or mug without any problem, is very light/compact and costs about a tenner. When using such a stove, I am reminded of a quote by Crocodile Dundee, "You can live on it, but it tastes like ****", but for a tenner they are worth having in your emergency pack if nothing else.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
arctic hobo said:
...that's fine, I know they're not for everyone, but perhaps you'd like to say why?

I think the small trangia is fantastic. One of the best pieces of kit I've ever used. Superb for lightweight hiking and bombproof. :)

trangia1b.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE