Gathering up kit!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
ChrisKavanaugh said:
My point is that people get locked into almost a peer mindset of "keeping up with the Jones's" and buying premium gear because somehow it will make us swing like Tiger, drive like Juan or enjoy an evening fire and the night sky less somehow than Ray.

This has been bothering me quite a bit lately. But if I step back a bit and try to look at it objectively from someone who is new to the outdoors, I think Mears makes a pretty good role model and sometimes it takes years and lots of "dirttime" before people start to feel comfortable with their personal choices. I guess I feel more comfortable with folks going the "Ray Mears" route rather than pretending to be an expert and reciting everything they learned on the internet as gospel. :)

Probably more troubling to me than folks blindly following Ray Mears is the idea that bushcraft has some kind of ancient code that has to be followed. When I look at his site, I see all kinds of gear, from high tech to low tech. Not exactly an advertisement for primitive lifeways. Personally, and for mainly practical reasons, I like the idea of blending the new and the old but sometimes I think people forget that OVERALL, Ray Mears does not approach the outdoors with the same attitude towards primitive skills as someone like Larry Dean Olsen or John McPherson, to name a few. I don't see anything wrong with that. I'm just saying that "bushcraft" as it is generally practiced, is not defined necessarily by the gear you carry. Especially given the fact that Ray seems to carry and promote a lot of it.

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
As far as i remember, the only item he has actually promoted in his series is the granfors axe. But a lot of people see things on the programmes and try to find out what make etc so they can have one too.

Kirruth

Forager
Apr 15, 2005
Reading
www.bayes.org.uk
Celebrity endorsement is a common way that people simplify purchasing decisions. Reduces the risk of buying a lemon, increases status - so, provided the price is right, why not?

Hell, that was why I bought my new car (one of those hybrid things) - if it's good enough for Cameron Diaz, I thought, it's good enough for me :)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
People...

A discussion about the pro's and cons of buying something used, endorsed or sold by Mr Mears isn't helping bushman762 whittle down his potential kit list...

:)

AUSSIE

Tenderfoot
Feb 11, 2004
Gee Guys! Ray is a mere mortal like the rest of us! I can remember back in the early eighties, when I was applying for a Temp Instructor position at Plas Y Brenin, Ray also applied along with a few other of my English mates. He used a bushcraft / wilderness survival presentation as part of his application, as I seem to remeber he didn't get the job!!

maverix

Forager
May 16, 2005
North Devon coast
Motorbike Man said:
Any idea if there are any problems with posting something like a folding saw to Co. Tyrone as if you want to cover costs, I can get a decent Spear & Jackson for £3.50 plus postage to you if you like?

erm did you just say a folding saw for £3.50 ?

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Quote from Hoodoo - "...... I'm just saying that "bushcraft" as it is generally practiced, is not defined necessarily by the gear you carry."

I've been as guilty as anyone in reinforcing my enjoyment of bushcraft with good quality gear which probably pays in the long run. But in Sweden last week Preben, our instructor (who amongst other things could almost make an axe talk) having noticed the inconsistency on the part of some of us in certain skills said "......Don't try to cover your inexperience with nice equipment - you must practice" . That message really hit home so as well as re-evaluating what I carry and what is essential/desirable, above all else I'm looking at what I should practice so that improvised skills can be available when equipment isn't.......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE