Gaiter recommendations wanted

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I like gaiters for when conditions are bad, as they protect my lower leg as well as helping to keep my feet dry.

However, my last trip killed my current pair, which were a bit cheap anyway. I used to have a nice pair of canvas army gaiters, but they seemed to have been designed for people with thin legs (I've seen that comment about them several times) and were uncomfortable, so I moved them on. However I did like the steel undersole wire that they had, since it is the undersole strap that has gone on my last ones.

So, any recommendations for brands/styles/suppliers folks? Someone will ask about budget, so let's say that I won't be spending in excess of £50 and would hope to be spending a lot less than that. Prepared to spend more for quality kit though.

Thanks in advance.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Have a look at MacGaiter's they're neoprene and tough. Easy to put on. Have plenty of sizes. I would suggest going a size down as mine fit but could do with being a little smaller...or i could benefit from a good legs week :) £34 and i would recommend them to anyone.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I use Yeti Extreme's for gacky use, snow and bog. They don't seem to last well though, the PU coating comes off quite quickly through abrasion.

For ankle protection and stopping most mud/thorns etc, these felted wool gaiters from Hanwag will take some beating; http://www.outnorth.fi/hanwag/felt-gaiters-i

Making a copy would be pretty straightforward
hanwag-filzgamasche-i.jpg

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I have a pair of trailwise canvas gaiters think ive used them twice if you want you them pm me your address i just dont use them. They are size large o/g heavy canvas.

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
I use Yeti Extreme's for gacky use, snow and bog. They don't seem to last well though, the PU coating comes off quite quickly through abrasion.

For ankle protection and stopping most mud/thorns etc, these felted wool gaiters from Hanwag will take some beating; http://www.outnorth.fi/hanwag/felt-gaiters-i

Making a copy would be pretty straightforward
hanwag-filzgamasche-i.jpg

Wow, really like the look of those. I have been using the swiss army laminated wool ones for the last three winters I like them. I switch over to ventile gaiters in the spring.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Thanks for the recommendations so far gents. Keep them coming.

Thanks too to those who have offered my gaiters that they are not using. I will respond to all of you.

What a great forum. :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Have you tried Macgaiters Harvestman? I have a set and they're pretty barn tough and good too.

header4.jpg

opps just saw they've been recommended already, they are good though

Last edited:

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
I'v got some issue goretex gaiters and I find them pretty good

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-A..._Goods_Sports_Clothing_LE&hash=item462b353dfc

Typical army kit. simple, heavy duty, cheap, and well made...They do benefit from a dose of nikwax or similar though

as above bomb proof kit, dont use them very often but they are good, 3 weeks of winter Brecon and another 2 weeks of winter Brecon snow, all good, even the gortex socks gave up though, gaiters worked great though.

and for that price you could get a new pair every year or 2 years...... worth a thought???

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I have a pair of trailwise canvas gaiters think ive used them twice if you want you them pm me your address i just dont use them. They are size large o/g heavy canvas.

I had to replace the zip on one of my Trailwise gaiters a while ago.

Only used them for twenty five years and they need a minor repair. They just don't make anything to last these days do they...

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
For added information value: This thread promted me to finally search for and find gaiters for my large calves. Could be of use to OP too.
'Snolock big calf gaiters' seems a good buy. I think I'll order later today. Anyone have experience with snolock?

Edit: just realised that snolock=trailwise, so I'll take waylands word for their quality.

Last edited:

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Well, as it happens, I have now been offered a pair of snolock gaiters by member andybysea, completely for free, so thank you very much to everyone who contributed suggestions and offered me gaiters by pm, but this is a big public thank you to andybysea.

:You_Rock_

This thread has been a great example of the generosity of people on this forum. I'm glad others have found it useful too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE