Four inch, too small.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I've a friend who is well over 6foot (nearer 7' I think) and has shovels to match, but one of his favourite using knives is one I made a few years back with a 2" blade. He has larger knives that he uses, but generally the tiddler is his best friend :)

Big knives have their place, but for me that is the kitchen or the jungle. Generally I find that the distance from tip to handle makes it too cumbersome for much of what I use a knife for. So when I need a big blade it's coz I am using it cut something big (again, in the kitchen or when I have a billhook)

A few years ago we had our first BB meet up and one of our Scandinavian friends was sitting talking to a guy from Kent who was making lots of big bowie type knives, in the same stye as the American prefer their blades to be - big. The English guy asked "why do you all make such small knives in Scandinavia?". The reply that came back was simly "Because we don't need the extension" :cool:

n.b. I mostly make small knives :approve:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I've a friend who is well over 6foot (nearer 7' I think) and has shovels to match, but one of his favourite using knives is one I made a few years back with a 2" blade. He has larger knives that he uses, but generally the tiddler is his best friend :)

Big knives have their place, but for me that is the kitchen or the jungle. Generally I find that the distance from tip to handle makes it too cumbersome for much of what I use a knife for. So when I need a big blade it's coz I am using it cut something big (again, in the kitchen or when I have a billhook)

A few years ago we had our first BB meet up and one of our Scandinavian friends was sitting talking to a guy from Kent who was making lots of big bowie type knives, in the same stye as the American prefer their blades to be - big. The English guy asked "why do you all make such small knives in Scandinavia?". The reply that came back was simly "Because we don't need the extension" :cool:

n.b. I mostly make small knives :approve:

I think there is a difference though between a big knife and one that is just a little longer than average. It all boils down to personal taste and experience. An extra inch on the steel for me is perfect as i am confident in the use of such a blade. I don't actually do much carving or anything like that, more camp work etc. I am a Hiker/Hunter so my bushcraft skills are what is needed to be comfortable/efficient in those circumstances. Small (sub 4 inch) blades have a purpose but that doesn't mean that the purpose cannot be met by a knife with a little extra on the end. I do not require finnese only that it can do the job i want.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
To be honest the size of mine has nowt to do with "having an extension" it's just a size i'm more at home and comfortable with.
Small knives have their place in the bushcraft world, but i'm not a carver or craftsman, just a hiker and outdoorsman.

It's a very good all-rounder and i've feathered sticks with it as good as a mora.

Just personal preference in the end

rg598

Native
I can't say much about the other knives, but the RC6 is a good knife for the money. If you look around you can get it for alot less. I mainly use a RAT7, which is the bigger version of the RC6. It's a great all around knife, but you might find the handle too thin. If you want to do fine woodworking, it is doable because of the choil, but it will not be as comfortable as with a Helle.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I have ordered the Kellam Tracker. I like the look and i have read good things about them.Plus they are just plain old carbon steel and the sheath's look better than Helles.

Thanks for all your replys guys.

Simon

Nomad
Jul 22, 2004
Addington, Surrey
Look chaps, it's not what you've got it's what you do with it that counts :rolleyes:
Nicola

Thank god for women who think like that :lmao:

Boy, you have still got a lot to learn about the ways of the female species !! :yelrotflm

first rule; Take what ever comes out of their mouth (or in this case, their keyboard) and reverse it to find the true meaning. :D

In much the same way as if you asked them; "what's wrong, honey?" and get the response "nothing!".

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
Boy, you have still got a lot to learn about the ways of the female species !! :yelrotflm

first rule; Take what ever comes out of their mouth (or in this case, their keyboard) and reverse it to find the true meaning. :D

In much the same way as if you asked them; "what's wrong, honey?" and get the response "nothing!".

Ah, I was only taking the pee mate, as far as I know I've never been a disapointment :lmao: But like you say; No often means yes etc - I just try to work with them, forget understanding them, you'll still be trying when you're 100 :rolleyes:

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Mmm this appears to of turned into a "I prefer a big knife to a wee one, what do you guys think?" to a "Bushcrafters dating thread/i have a large willy" :lmao:

Could we please stay on track :drive: :D

Nice choice HillBill

sirex

Forager
Nov 20, 2008
bournemouth
i own one of these (the SP2)
http://www.ontarioknife.com/specplus_pg1.html

and i've mixed feelings. It actually works really well for what i wanted, but it was ...larger... than i expected, and i actually bought a frosts clipper to take out camping as i didnt even want to begin to explain why i had it to a copper if asked. It gets alot of usage in the garden though, but i've found an axe/billhook and laplander saw is a better alternative than taking the rambo knife with you. :)

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
There is no point for a rambo type knife, i agree. Luckily the tracker is about as rambo as Mr Bean :). It's a little longer than i was looking for, but the fang was a little shorter than i wanted. It's not a big daft blade either.

I'm going to Grizedale forest in week or so. I'll be there a week. I'll be taking the Tracker with me so i'll do a small review when i get back with pics. I'll see what it can do.

UCBerzerkeley

Dec 11, 2008
California
whatever works for you man, that's the important thing. im 6'4'' and find anything over 4.5 unwieldy. i love my moras, love them. had a couple bark rivers first that I sold off, ive gone looking for smaller, nimbler blades the more exposure i gain. horses for courses as you brits love to say

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
It comes down to what you want the blade for?

If you carry one knife, it stands a chance it would not be a Mora, so the so called Rambo knives do have a purpose. They also are defense knifes, which if you consider the Military background of most of them, makes sense. A big knife can do every a small knife can, but a small knife cannot do everything a big knife can. We tend to work from the three, or four tool model (Think Nessmuk), so we carry something better suited to the big, and small tasks.

HillBill, Would be really interested to know what Mora you have? I have three of the wooden handled ones, and they never feel secure. Always feel like I am griping them really hard.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE