Forum colour display, and PM message options

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Just wondering. I’m sure on the old forum software there was a way to adjust the colours of the forum pages, but if there’s an option here it’s well hidden. I find this green and white pretty bright in the evening. Obviously I can go into iPad settings and up the white point and lower the brightness, but it’s a faff.

Another thing that was handy was being able to get a ‘read message receipt’ so you could tell if a PM had been read by the recipient.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
We just have this one skin at the moment. We have scheduled in some updates, mainly on the front end, but there are a few things on the forum side that we'll work on, we'll have another look at skin/theme options then.

We had read receipts back on the old vBulletin platform, but that was a long time ago. There is a 3rd party ad-don that can do the job, but I've always been lath to use add-ons unless we absolutely need them.

Hope that all makes sense

Reactions: Nice65 and Toddy

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
I would like to see an archive. I feel theres way too many old and spent posts on here. It can be a trudge through and can make it user unfriendly.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The thing is that the forum has been running for twenty years now. A lot of the folks on it have been here that long. So, to them old threads are just conversations. Sometimes ones we go back to.

The forum has been through several iterations, and each time we change members complain that they can't find anything.
:dunno:
Mostly, we just use google to search for something we remember, a keyword sort of thing.

The most recent conversations are always to the fore, if you delve then you will come across twenty years worth of stuff.

The melt down of the photos when photobucket upended took out other forums entirely, here it just left a lot of threads bereft of images. We just move on.

Perhaps being more selective in your searches might help ?
You could always just start a thread and ask about something that interests you ? start it afresh kind of thing.

M

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
What does that look like to you? Something different from the search facility, or an index of some sort?
i reckon old stuff could be archived it out of sight. some of it could be removed completely duno, a few people said similar things when we talked about it at the bushmoot x

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Have you any idea of the sheer scope of the conversations ? of how much work it would be to effectively 'prune' the entire site ?

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
i reckon old stuff could be archived it out of sight. some of it could be removed completely duno, a few people said similar things when we talked about it at the bushmoot x
But why?

They don’t stop you reading new stuff, they don’t slow the site down.

They are there to be easily searched back through if someone wants.

Again, why?

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I’m not sure of the benefits of culling threads.

id like to limit the number of for sale threads or items people can post per month.
Some members abuse the facility in my opinion but I accept it’s probably a minority view so I live with it.

Whilst we would like everyone to have a perfect experience using the forum it’s not always possible to accommodate all the conflicting views.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Have you any idea of the sheer scope of the conversations ? of how much work it would be to effectively 'prune' the entire site ?
Huge undertaking with little return. There’s no tidying a forum, it is what it is, a series of long conversations. There is already a review section, and it seems people have stopped making tutorials and reviews due to easy internet access to loads of ‘How To…’ wikis and YouTube vids.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Perhaps he's just overwhelmed. The forum has been active for over twenty years, and there are a lot of folks around who've been, and are, involved in all those years.
They remember threads, discussions, etc., though I admit that without the photobucket disaster some threads might make more sense to those who don't know them.
A lot of long running friendships and conversations :)
I'd hate to lose those, or the memories of folks like Drew, Tom, Andy, Lee.........

Reactions: Nice65

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE