Forged bits & bobs (+ an unforged bow & 550 para bracelet by me) - Pic Heavy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
I went to Sandringham Craft Fair yesterday (Sunday). Thought I'd get some tips on green woodworking, carving and blacksmithing. :rolleyes:
Watta mistaka to makka. :nono:
The green-woodworking was one guy making hurdles and gates. I know him from the pole lathe society. Lovely bloke, extremely helpful and sooooo knowledgeable.:35:
The Kings Lynn and Norfolk power turners were there as well doing their thing (seemed a nice bunch as well).
Then I got to the so called blacksmith exhibitor. :yikes:
All I saw was someone selling weather vanes.
I had a chat and said I'd just been lent, on a long term borrow, a gas forge. I innocently asked if he used gas. His reply was " No MIG. Cleaner and you don't get any slag". The penny eventually dropped..:togo:...he was talking about welders. It transpires that he buys all the bits off the Internet and then tacks them together and sprays them black and gold. He did do some cold scrolls on a former that he had bought which was as far as the metal working (blacksmithing?) went.
I had a chat with one of the organisers. Next year they may have a geezer with a gas Portaforge and a home built forge he's made, hammering some round flat and some square stuff round. Apparently he will be making knife blanks and strikers, and letting people "have a go" as they say as long as his insurance covers it....well I think I will be anyway! :campfire:

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Bad luck at the show Kev.Ive been to previous shows there and it can be very hit n' miss as to the exhibitors..Theres sometimes blacksmiths at the usual craft show.The last one i went to there had a tent showing their work and a couple forges going outside.
Ive seen that 'blacksmith' at shows..more 'fabrication' i reckon.

*just seen your last sentence...would you be up for a collaboration??:)*

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
Cheers Launditch1 :thankyou:. When we going to see you at a meet again? :confused:

Anyway made a couple of different strikers today to get my fix so to speak :lmao::lmao:

One was a prize for a comp I recently did :35: and he commissioned another for his twin

Capricorn WK Strikers.jpg

as they are Capricorns and this is how he described it as a number two with the top fully closed to make a loop. They are about 4cm x 4cm. I did one with the "flat" side for striking and the other with the "teeth" side as the striker. It will be interesting to see which gives the best sparks :D

The other was an Aries sign for myself :rolleyes:

Aries WK Striker.jpg

which was OK until I started cleaning it and ...... ping :rolleyes:. It wasn't quite dead straight and I over tightened the vice so now I have two neck strikers for sale at £3 each (about 3cm x 1cm) or more prizes/triers
T
Just proves how hard they are and why so many have been found broken when early Hunter Gatherers dropped and broke them, by the Time team on C4

Broken Aries WK Striker.jpg

Last edited:

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Ah! you've inspired me, just remembered a bit of metal I have in a corner, I can make a draw knife with!

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
Some new ones. £5 to £10 each . All pre-tested and throw a good shower of sparks using Cromer beaches finest

7WKStrikers.jpg

Top left one gone

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
I forgot to add the Gate and fence I made and erected in Hunstanton. The address is here if you want a look

100_1193.jpg

100_1191.jpg

100_1188.jpg

100_1192.jpg

100_1189.jpg

100_1194.jpg

I hope you like it. I lost money but it's nice to see something that will last. I made & fitted it over 10 years ago. That was the last Century

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi whitler kev exellent work i will have to go on another forge course is ther anything local in wales?regards dave

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
Playing again

A round kettle/pot support with a twist in it (told how by the Blacksmiths Guild)

Roundkettlesupportwithtwist.jpg

Twistinround.jpg

and a few other bits
5ftfiretripodwithShookandpokersandpothangers.jpg

I even made myself a pair of tongs today out of some 10mm round bar. I'll be playing with 16mm when it arrives.. ha ha ha

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
Here's my latest offerings

Forgedmusicalnote.jpg

and this video may surprise you :yikes:

[video]http://s799.photobucket.com/albums/yy280/kpurse/Bits%20I%20have%20made%20by%20 hand%20etc/?action=view&current=PlayingaForgednote.mp4[/video]

I'm getting artsy fartsy :rolleyes:

so

Threearmedhangingbasketholder.  jpg

TopofThreearmedhangingbasketho  lder.jpg

Last edited:

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
Just been made from 10mm black square steel.
A bit extra special as I gave it a double twist (one reverse twisted) before coating it in vegetable oil

Potholder-shortened2.jpg

I'm believe most of you will have seen them at reenactments, if not they hang your kettle/pot over the fire like this

Squarepothangerwithtwist.jpg

£20 inc P&P and PayPal if paid as gift/money owed
normally I make them to order for reenectors , backpackers, etc

Also this Forge knife made from a 5mm rasp

ForgeKnifefromrasp.jpg

ForgeKnifetop2.jpg

(its resting on the feather stick it cut from well seasoned cherry)

It's 240mm long & 50mm wide with the blade at 115mm x 20mm at its widest .

The back of the handle is tempered as a flint striker (throws good bright sparks) and the blade tempered to hold an edge but still sharpen. A little harder than a normal knife though

I used my Lansky system to sharpen it to 25 degrees. I made it to keep for myself. Unfortunately the handles to small for me (70mm internal length) which is why it's for sale
£25 inc P&P and PayPal if paid as gift/money owed

B

bushboy1

nice kev, woud i be able to buy a crook knife blade and possiby the draw knife?

bushboy1

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
Not a problem, but I need to know a few things before I make them.

Crook Knife - Do you want it left or right handed?
180º turned blade or less?
inside or outside sharpened?
with or without a simple handle?

Draw knife - How long do you want the blade (yes I know you want it forever:)) - 18 inches (460mm) is the longest I can temper
- flat or bowed blade?
- with plastic handles or do you want to fit your own?

I can't give you a price as yet but you know I never hurt anyone :)

B

bushboy1

right handed, 100 degree turn, inside sharpen, no handle, but holes drilled and for the draw knife, 10 inches, flat, plastic handles please, cheers m8

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
This is the replacement Folding Trivet I've done for someone that lost theirs while away. Note the extra bar modded into it at the customers request.
I've also gone back to welding the pins straight in instead of drilling and then welding the holes back up (I think it looks neater) ;)
RemodedTrivetDec20102.jpg
RemodedTrivetDec2010.jpg

They cost £25 inc P&P and PayPal (as gift or money owed please)

gsfgaz

Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
You've got an amazing talent there mate , some cracking work , i love the bird feeder set up , and the big note ... Tune

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE